Innsmouth (2015 short)
"She awaits." Detective Diana Olmstead arrives on the scene of a body with a mysterious egg sac. A clue leads her to Innsmouth, where she meets a seductive and horrific fate in the form of Alice Marsh.
- Release Date: 2015
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror
- Setting: Modern Innsmouth
- Runtime: 11 min
- Starring: Diana Porter, Tristan Risk, Izzy Lee
- Director: Izzy Lee
- Writer: Izzy Lee
- Producer/Production Co: Nihil Noctem Films, Francesco Massaccesi, Izzy Lee
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: Not Rated (Equivalent to an R for Nudity, Adult Content and sexual situations, Profanity, Violence)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SSs__ (Two and a Half Tentacles: Lovecraft pastiche.)
A Lovecraft pastiche in the standard form of a platform for weird sex and violence. The story itself is effectively a loose adaptation of the Renfield segment of Dracula, with Lovecraft's Innsmouth Marshes and Deep Ones substituted for vampires.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Interview of director Izzy Lee by Jay Kay at Tom Holland's Terror Time (link))
- Y.Whateley - "2/5 stars: Not really my Lovecraftian cup of tea; it's a Lovecraft pastiche in the standard post-Corman form of a platform for weird sex and violence. The story itself is effectively a loose adaptation of the lesbian vampire story "Carmilla (fiction)" mixed with the Renfield segment of Dracula, with Lovecraft's Innsmouth Marshes and Deep Ones substituted for vampires. As a Lovecraft pastiche, it left me a bit cold, while as a cheesy sexually-charged goth vampire thing it seemed about average for this sort of thing. As a low-budget student film, the production values and special effects were above average."
- Review by Scott Hallam at Dreadcentral (link) - (4 Stars)
- Review by Martyn Wakefield at BloodGutsUKHorror (link) - (4/5)
- Review by Martin Unsworth at Starburst Magazine (link) - (8/10 Starbursts)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A curiously mutilated body is unearthed, leading a detective to Innsmouth and into the arms of Alice Marsh; weird Lesbian sex ensues before Cthulhu eats the detective's face.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- fiction: inspired by "The Shadow Over Innsmouth (fiction)"
- film and fiction: compare/contrast to Lair of the White Worm (1988 film), Lemora: A Child’s Tale Of The Supernatural (1973 film), Dracula (fiction), "Carmilla (fiction)"
- location: Innsmouth
- race: Deep Ones
- family: Marsh