H.P. Lovecraft: Great Tales of Horror
Publication Date: 6th Printing edition, August 23, 2012
Page Count: 600
Fiction: (see Contents, below)
H.P. Lovecraft: Great Tales of Horror" features twenty of horror master H.P. Lovecraft's classic stories, among them some of the greatest works of horror fiction ever written, including: "The Rats in the Walls," "Pickman's Model," "The Colour out of Space," "The Call of Cthulhu," "The Dunwich Horror," "The Shadow over Innsmouth," "At the Mountains of Madness," "The Shadow out of Time," and "The Haunter of the Dark".
H.P. Lovecraft wrote horror stories like no other author before or after him. In the pages of Weird Tales and other pulp-fiction magazines of the 1920s and '30s, Lovecraft pioneered a new type of story that fused the thrills of supernatural horror with the visionary concepts of Science fiction. His unique style of cosmic horror revolutionized the modern horror tale through its depiction of a vast universe indifferent to human existence and populated by incomprehensibly alien monsters.
This volume collects twenty of Lovecraft's best-known horror stories, including several that laid the foundation for the Cthulhu Mythos, a pattern of myth and lore that represents the high point of his writing and one of the most original contributions to fantastic fiction of the past century. Selections include:
"Pickman's Model." The monsters in Richard Upton Pickman's paintings were so hideously lifelike you might easily believe that they had been painted from real life.
"The Rats in the Walls." The nightly scramblings of foraging rats in the walls were disturbing enough - but what horror did their destination below ground suggest?
"The Call of Cthulhu." An island risen from the depths of the Pacific Ocean houses a denizen whose emergence in our world portends the end of life as we know it.
"At the Mountains of Madness." In the wastes of Antarctica, an exploration team discovers the remnants of an inconceivably ancient pre-human civilization - and evidence that whatever wiped it out may still be at large.
H.P. Lovecraft: Great Tales of Horror is your passport to unique worlds of wonder and terror as only one of the greatest horror writers of all time could imagine them.
- (Introduction by Stefan Dziemianowicz)
- "The Call of Cthulhu (fiction)"
- "The Colour out of Space (fiction)"
- "The Lurking Fear (fiction)"
- "The Music of Erich Zann (fiction)"
- "Dagon (fiction)"
- "Pickman's Model (fiction)"
- "The Dunwich Horror (fiction)"
- "The Statement of Randolph Carter (fiction)"
- "In the Vault (fiction)"
- "Cool Air (fiction)"
- "The Thing on the Doorstep (fiction)"
- "The Dreams in the Witch House (fiction)"
- "The Shadow over Innsmouth (fiction)"
- "At the Mountains of Madness (fiction)"
- "Herbert West - Reanimator (fiction)"
- "The Rats in the Walls (fiction)"
- "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward (fiction)"
- "The Whisperer in Darkness (fiction)"
- "The Haunter of the Dark (fiction)"
- "The Shadow out of Time (fiction)"
Comments / Trivia
Any factual trivia or comments go here.
Link to outside reviews or helpful pages.