Dark City (1998 film)
"Darkness falls soon." A man struggles to recover memories of his past in a nightmarish, labyrinthine, sunless city ruled by a cabal of beings known only as "The Strangers".
- Release Date: 1998
- Country/Language: Australia/US, English
- Genres/Technical: Fantasy, Sci-fi, Mystery (noir)
- Setting: ?
- Runtime: 1 hr 40 min
- Starring: Rufus Sewell, Kiefer Sutherland, Jennifer Connelly
- Director: Alex Proyas
- Writer: Alex Proyas
- Producer/Production Co: Mystery Clock Cinema, New Line Cinema
- View Trailer: (link)
- TVTropes page: (link)
- IMDB page: (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Adult Content, Profanity, Nudity)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
I've heard this described as "a Lovecraftian Matrix made before The Matrix existed...." A film about a dark, paranoid, noirish setting ruled by a mysterious race of reality-altering alien beings with tentacled creatures hidden in their heads, who experiment on humans living in their city might be somewhat "Lovecraftian". The analytical alien parasites known as "Strangers" might be compared to Mi-Gos....
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (review needed)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
John Murdoch awakens alone in a strange hotel to find that he is wanted for a series of brutal murders. The problem is that he can't remember whether he committed the murders or not. For one brief moment, he is convinced that he has gone completely mad. Murdoch seeks to unravel the twisted riddle of his identity, and as he edges closer to solving the mystery, he stumbles upon a fiendish underworld controlled by a group of ominous beings collectively known as the "Strangers".)
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- Quote, Dr. Schreber: [voiceover] "First there was darkness. Then came the Strangers. They were a race as old as time itself. They had mastered the ultimate technology: the ability to alter physical reality by will alone. They called this ability "Tuning". But they were dying, their civilization was in decline, and so they abandoned their world seeking a cure for their own mortality. Their endless journey brought them to a small, blue world in the farthest corner of the galaxy. Our world. Here they thought they had finally found what they had been searching for."
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- race: Strangers
- cult: Men in Black
- location: Dark City (for an alternate interpretation, compare to the Dreamlands, the Other Side, or even "Lovecraft Country")
- As the campaign progresses, it becomes increasingly clear that the setting is not the Classic Era (1920s) Lovecraft Country, but rather a "sand box" sham created by Men in Black under direction of Strangers as they manipulate the people who have been transplanted into the ever-shifting labyrinth of the setting....
External Links/See Also
- Description of "The Strangers": (link)