Dagon (1999 short)
Mostly based on Lovecraft's story "Dagon (fiction)", the story follows the mind-shattering experience of a cast-away sailor who finds himself on a mysterious island freshly-risen from the ocean, where a CGI ritual is about to begin....
- Release Date: 1999
- Country/Language: USA, English
- Genres/Technical: Fantasy, Horror, CGI animation, short
- Setting: 1920s Ocean
- Runtime: 6 min
- Starring: Richard Corben
- Director: Richard Corben
- Writer: Richard Corben, H.P. Lovecraft (original story)
- Producer/Production Co: Beyond Books
- Film Website: (link)
- IMDB: (none?)
- Rated: (none) (probably either G or PG?)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SSS__ (Three Tentacles: Lovecraftian)
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Sidi at Muuta, (link) - "Highly interesting combination of CGI animation and live action. Especially the disappearance of the sea under a raft is cool. Sailor, raft, sky with clouds, smoke and seagull are live action; all the rest CG animation. Alien dance is choreographed by motion capture, which makes movement natural. The sound mixture was not always the best, since sometimes the voice of sailor buried under music."
- Y.Whateley: it's been over 15 years since I've seen this; the only things I remember from it are the vague impression that it was a fairly faithful adaptation of the Lovecraft story, and the uneven sound mixing, the goofy Deep One models and computer animation, and the otherwise creative and economic use of low-budget CGI special effects.
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
Animation: Animation starts with quickly changing water splash images and on them the title "Dagon". Soon after that appears sailor's deformed face which stabilizes as a live action face of Richard Corben. "I'm not crazy!" he starts. Sailor is inside the room and someone enters through the door. We cannot see the room, neither the intruder, just the door which is about to open. "Before that," he later goes on and the entire story will be told by the mouth of sailor.... Sailor is adrift on a raft and is only survivor from the crash. Suddenly he awakes out of sea on a dry land with a seagull near by. He smells rotten stink and an ancient monolith, which he enters. As soon as he reaches the monolith a big group of alien forms enters with drum sound and starts to dance. Group includes both male and female figures. Aliens stop dancing as soon as Dagon the monster from deep enters. Story ends with sailor locked into mental hospital (we can see only talking sailor, not the environment). - (link)