Bleeders (1997 film)
Bleeders (1997 film), AKA Hemoglobin and The Descendant
Loosely based on "The Lurking Fear (fiction)"; a man tries to eradicate a clan of hermaphroditic monsters that feeds on human blood and corpses.
- Release Date: 1997
- Country/Language: Canada/US, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror
- Runtime: 1 hr 29 min
- Starring: Gillian Ferrabee, Pascal Gruselle, Roy Dupuis, Rutger Hauer
- Director: Peter Svatek
- Writer: Dan O'Bannon, Ronald Shusett, Charles Adair, H.P. Lovecraft (original story)
- Producer/Production Co: Fries/Schultz Film Group
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDb page: (link)
- Rated: R (Adult Content, Nudity, Violence)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SS___ (Two Tentacles: Barely Lovecraftian; could be a very loose adaptation)
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- HorrorNews dotnet, (link) - "I’ll be damned if there was anything in this picture worth seeing again."
- John Leavengood at MoviesFilmsAndFlix dotcom, (link) - "For such a slow-paced opening (and middle), I really enjoyed the story of this oft-forgotten B-release."
- Richard Scheib at the Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review (2/5 Stars) (link) - "As might be expected from Dan O’Bannon, Hemoglobin/Bleeders is an interestingly complex, intelligent and well thought-out story... Unfortunately, the film falls down due to dreary direction. ... One can see that a number of sequences have been designed on paper in a way that could have had some shock impact had they been directed by someone with half an ounce of talent... It is only during the climax with the survivors huddled in a lighthouse during a rainstorm shooting off the monsters as they clamber up the cliffs that Peter Svatek manages to rouse anything approaching mild tension."
Loosely based on "The Lurking Fear (fiction)"; a man tries to eradicate a clan of hermaphroditic monsters (degenerate descendants of an outcast aristocratic European family with a rare genetic disorder) that feeds on human blood and corpses.