78 replies to this topic

#61 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

I've glimpsed through the "Cold Harvest" recently and know what? It's not as stupid as I was afraid it could be. Quite adequate and consistent at least in the set of characters. really looks worthwhile  for those going for a 1930's USSR experience.

#62 Travern

Travern

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

Also, I actually recall reading about a Cthulhu Mythos story set during the Cold War, with both sides doing their best to research and use aspects of the mythos. It doesn't go well.

Was that Charles Stross's "A Colder War"? That novelette is set in the 1980s during a kind of Mythos-based arms race, though it's told from the American perspective.

#63 HJ

HJ

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationMaidenhead, UK

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

Or
Ian Tregillis' similarly named "The Coldest War"

#64 MrHandy

MrHandy

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:52 AM

There's also Declare by Tim Powers, which I'm in the middle of reading now.

Zombie Apocalypse: A Blood Brothers style play-by-post forum-based RPG using CoC rules
Space Oddity: Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes/Call of Cthulhu in 1969 Philadelphia
The Terror Out of Time: Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu in 1930 London

#65 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:03 PM

I spent a pretty horrific 6 weeks in Bucharest, Romania right after they killed Ceaucescu. .... The apartment building I lived in was like something out of a nuclear holocaust movie, with the requisite dirt field with a single rust-covered swing in it. The one working elevator in the building was, quite literally, maybe half again as large as a coffin, had no working lights (so you were in total darkness), had doors that sometimes didn't open, and didn't always get you quite to the right level to step off it without having to climb or jump out. I'm going to need to build that into a CoC scenario of some sort.

I think I rented that apartment when I was in Bucharest doing my Fulbright in 2001/2002. One of the things that one heard muttered but not much talked about amongst my Romanian friends who were of an age to have participated in the Revolution was that the Ceaucescus and many of their supporters were into some sort of vaguely described occult practices. Very un-bolshevik but possibly suitably Mythos-y. One also needs to add a story about a Turk digging a well sometime in the 1500's, who may or may not have been lifted back up when he was done and who may or may not have dug up something he shouldn't have.

#66 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

I think I rented that apartment when I was in Bucharest doing my Fulbright in 2001/2002. One of the things that one heard muttered but not much talked about amongst my Romanian friends who were of an age to have participated in the Revolution was that the Ceaucescus and many of their supporters were into some sort of vaguely described occult practices. Very un-bolshevik but possibly suitably Mythos-y. One also needs to add a story about a Turk digging a well sometime in the 1500's, who may or may not have been lifted back up when he was done and who may or may not have dug up something he shouldn't have.

Perhaps they spent time at Drosovna?

#67 Travern

Travern

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:42 PM

One of the things that one heard muttered but not much talked about amongst my Romanian friends who were of an age to have participated in the Revolution was that the Ceaucescus and many of their supporters were into some sort of vaguely described occult practices. Very un-bolshevik but possibly suitably Mythos-y.

In The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Ward travels to study with a certain Baron Ferenczy at his castle located somewhere in Transylvania.  (Transylvania had of course recently unified with Romania in the Great War's aftermath.)  Years later, when the Ceaucescu government was scouring the region for suitably gothic castles to promote for Dracula tourism, might state agents have uncovered the site of the now-destroyed Castle Ferenczy and alerted the Securitate to investigate beneath the ruins?  And what would happen if Ferenczy's research into Necronomicon, Yog-Sothoth, and "essential Saltes" fell into the hands of Nicolae and Elena (especially since she had pretensions to being a chemical researcher)?  Besides, if Joseph Curwen's horrific failed experiments were able to exist for a century and half trapped in the pits beneath Providence, how much more likely is it that similar creatures in the catacombs below Castle Ferenczy could wait a mere fifty years for Ceaucescu to adopt them?

#68 Ric

Ric

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

I ran Machine Tractor Station Kharkov 37, and it was a brilliant game. So dark, so paranoid, full of moral dilemmas and in the end all they could do was run away. Note that some of the characters are in the Special Section of the GRU, so there is a link to the Delta Green mythology which incorporates "Secrets of the Kremlin". I followed this up with "Terror", set it a few years later during the 1937 purge. I used the characters from MTSK 37. The hidden pasts of the Red Army characters and the General Staff connections of the GRU characters had caught up with them and they had all been arrested. This game came out even darker than the former (and yes there is a definite Tunguska connection too), with the characters becoming increasingly depressed and paranoid. I have two favourite memories - at one stage the party come across a group of militia pulling the dead body of a person they had interviewed our of the river. On seeing this one character remarked: "She is one of the lucky ones". Man did it capture the mood. Later after a failed SAN roll this character shot himself in the head. Beautiful.

I have been inspired by this experience to create a Soviet Union campaign for another group I run. Lots of rewriting will be required, but my plan is to integrate "White Winter", "Shadows of Leningrad" and "Horrors from Yuggoth" (both from the "Age of Cthulhu" line", the "Castle Dark" chapter from Brotherhood of the Beast"; "Sleigh Ride", bits of "Spawn of Azathoth"; "Secrets of the Kremlin";  "MTSK 37" and "Terror". This leads us to the threshold of WII and so to the horrors in Achtung Cthulhu's "Eastern Front". There are a few Trail of Cthulhu scenarios that could also be worked in: "Soldiers on Pen and Ink" set during the Spanish Civil War and there are some very interesting hints in "Dreamhounds of Paris" about Soviet interest in the Dreamlands.

On a side note: the series of detective thriller novels about Inspector Perkalla contain some very interesting ideas that can be mined for a 1930s Soviet campaign

#69 Jape

Jape

Neophyte

• 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

Two very different ideas for inspiration:

The Master & Margarita - novel about the Devil coming to Soviet high society. Despite the tone its a possible jumping off point for Nyarlahotep running amok in the upper echelons of the workers' paradise.

Easterns - as others have said the Soviet Union is gargantuan and so there's plenty of hidden spots for things to lurk. Beyond the deep woods, marshes and tundra of Russia proper there is also Central Asia. "Easterns" as the name suggests were a popular band of pulp fiction and film that have parallels to Westerns, usually revolving around Red troops during the Civil War dealing with the outlaw status of Khans, tribes, White bandits etc in the deserts and plains of the 'stans.

The established paranoia of Stalinism at the centre offers plenty for CoC gaming but the more traditional Lovecraftian trope of mankind uncovering and correlating the mysteries of the universe at the edges of civilisation fits right in with the USSR. The Kremlin spent so much time bringing fringe groups to task for not following the Marxist-Leninist way, as well as building dams/canals/entire cities in places practically unchanged for centuries. Simply transplanting established scenarios and stories to Soviet Russia offers interesting new takes.

#70 Vladd

Vladd

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire UK

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

https://www.amazon.c...uct_top?ie=UTF8

This is an interesting read, not only does it cover the KGB, it also touches on the NKVD and the Tsarist secret police.

#71 Madam30th

Madam30th

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

Here's a link to my blog post about some changes to the TERROR scenario that fix a few of the incosistencies and set it up as a starting point for a GRU-SV8 campaign which will ultimately concern itself with chasing after the Shkoptsi and their icons. I look forward to playing out more sessions as I do agree with the sentiment here that the Soviet union has huge potential as a CoC setting. After all, MTS-37 is perhaps the most interesting single-scenario CoC supplement, with its atmosphere of paranoia and the vast, dangerous and uncaring world out there.

http://www.yog-sotho...u-sv8-campaign/

#72 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:05 PM

Yian or Yian-ho is placed quite explicitly by RE Chambers in The Maker of Moons in "the dead plains of Black Cathay" - that is, Karakhitai/Qara-khitai, a region that includes Eastern Turkestan/Xianjiang and extends over and into the borders of Kazakhstan. The Soviets had major influence (and agents and expeditionary forces) among the puppet regimes and warlords of the area during the Chinese Civil War in the 1920s.

Now, Lovecraft states that Yian-ho is in Leng in "The Diary of Alonzo Typer"... so in the 1920s, Leng was apparently occupied by Red Army troops and their allies.

#73 ThisOldWoodenShip

ThisOldWoodenShip

Master

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationChina

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:12 AM

<insert random cr*** here>

"In Soviet Russia, Sanity lose you!!"

In Soviet Russia, Cthulhu summon you!

I think Horror on the Orient Express could easily be retooled to the Trans-Siberian railway to introduce some Soviet Russian flair.

#74 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:30 AM

In Soviet Russia, Cthulhu summon you!

I think Horror on the Orient Express could easily be retooled to the Trans-Siberian railway to introduce some Soviet Russian flair.

Except for the fact that T-Sr had about 90% of its way in a harsh wilderness with less than few towns along. :)

#75 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

I have long pondered using Horror Express as a starting point for a scenario. It stars Peter cushing, Christopher Lee, and Telly Savalas in a Spanish-British production that takes place entirely aboard an eastbound train in Siberia.

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#76 andreroy

andreroy

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

Cold Harvest is another one set in 1930s Russia.

https://www.yog-soth...st_(Supplement)

#77 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

I have long pondered using Horror Express as a starting point for a scenario. It stars Peter cushing, Christopher Lee, and Telly Savalas in a Spanish-British production that takes place entirely aboard an eastbound train in Siberia.

Its been done already by Pagan as, iirc, Blood on the Tracks:

http://www.yog-sotho...ut_of_the_Vault

My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#78 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

"Horror Express" is a heck of a cool movie, if for no other reason than it's a relatively unknown (and, I believe, uncredited) adaptation of the story "Who Goes There?", which was also the basis for "The Thing From Another World" and John Carpenter's "The Thing"!

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#79 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

Glad to find another fan, yronimos. :)

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>