97 replies to this topic

#41 MattSheridan

MattSheridan

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:34 PM

Okay, that is it. I'm in. PayPal engaged!

The huge pile of suplimentary material already available is too awesome for me to resist. Handouts, player portraits, a surround sound seating chart, a wiki entry . . . yeah, I need to hear this as soon as possible, and it's definitely worth paying for. This should be the new standard for recorded RPGs. Now if only there were also more RPGs being recorded...

Hey, so is Helen's magician's assistant the same disfigured midget from Lindsay's short-lived game?

#42 fantomas

fantomas

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:06 AM

I'm curious as to the name change of the dummyhead. First it was referred to as The Brazen Head then Howard for Dead Man Stomp and in Yog Radio. Now I noticed you've called it Phillips. Are you changing the name each time you improve the setup?

Apologies if this is covered off in most recent Yog Radios or the intro to HotOE. I'm still working my way though them :oops: (then to start on SoYS, and The Sheffield player's, The Haunting, and HotOE and...)
The Culture has become addicted to the chaos it thought it was inoculating itself against
...We are becoming your role models, your heroes. Our lives are your movie...
-The Invisibles-

#43 swj719

swj719

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:09 AM

I'm curious as to the name change of the dummyhead. First it was referred to as The Brazen Head then Howard for Dead Man Stomp and in Yog Radio. Now I noticed you've called it Phillips. Are you changing the name each time you improve the setup?

Apologies if this is covered off in most recent Yog Radios or the intro to HotOE. I'm still working my way though them :oops: (then to start on SoYS, and The Sheffield player's, The Haunting, and HotOE and...)

This is The Head 2.0

It seems they are collectively called "The Brazen Head", but properly, the first was named Howard. This one is, in keeping with the naming convention, named Phillips... Give ya three guesses why... :)

#44 fantomas

fantomas

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:22 AM

This is The Head 2.0

It seems they are collectively called "The Brazen Head", but properly, the first was named Howard. This one is, in keeping with the naming convention, named Phillips... Give ya three guesses why... :)

Thanks for the answer.

I wonder if you can get a lifesize bust of HPL... Now that would make a interesting centre piece! :wink:
The Culture has become addicted to the chaos it thought it was inoculating itself against
...We are becoming your role models, your heroes. Our lives are your movie...
-The Invisibles-

#45 Shathis

Shathis

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

[quote name='"fantomas"'][quote name='swj719']

I wonder if you can get a lifesize bust of HPL... Now that would make a interesting centre piece! :wink:[/quote]

How about a lifesize, completely realistic mannequin of HP Lovecraft and oooh how spooky it is... .and did its finger just move....?

#46 Helen

Helen

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 700 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:51 PM

Hey, so is Helen's magician's assistant the same disfigured midget from Lindsay's short-lived game?

Kinda. Same name, same job, but beautiful and uncrippled! Basically, I decided I hadn't had chance to play the character enough so I rerolled her and remade her (Bigger! Better! Beautifuler!*). I think Paul timed the game so that the horrible stage accident can happen later...

Thanks for joining up :D

*It is a word. Just like photographisation!

#47 MattSheridan

MattSheridan

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:17 PM

But the real question is how she manages to become a dwarf, later on. Didn't the original Violet Davenport have an amazingly tiny size score, all the better to be hidden in magicians' cabinets and such?

Oh, poor Miss Davenport. If she somehow survives this train ride, all she has to look forward to is disfigurement and--if I remember correctly--widowdom, as well. That, and getting to see a very weird play staged by a Texan man who talks like a valley girl.

#48 PodMonkeys

PodMonkeys

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

haha! The valley girl texan man was pretty funny. :lol:

#49 swj719

swj719

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:49 PM

haha! The valley girl texan man was pretty funny. :lol:

Just stay the hell away from that Maid... Something's not quite right about her...

#50 Logan9a

Logan9a

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:04 PM

- and here's an example of some prototype Insanity Cards. Two sets of ten following the general descriptions for the short-term and longer-term Temporary Insanities.

Posted Image

"Pick a card, any card..."

Obviously you could expand these to much larger decks with specific insanities and nice custom art. Maybe FFG could do a set? :8E:

Paul

I'd like the link to these.

#51 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

They were shown as personal examples, no links exist.

Paul

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember – hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind."

– Doctor Who

#52 Logan9a

Logan9a

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

They were shown as personal examples, no links exist.

Paul

As you might know from my playing style, cards are better than referencing the book. I was curious as to what you had (if it went outside of the book). I had simplified it to fight/flight/freak but am always interested in what you've got cooking. So, if you care to make a link I'd be happy to take a gander!

We like Paul!

Group hug!

Please tell your wife to stop hitting me on the head with a stick!

#53 Helen

Helen

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 700 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

I'll stop hitting you with the apostrophe stick when you learn to use them properly.

And if you want some shiny NPC cards I suggest you invest in a scanner and spend some of your own time making them. Paul has a full-time job and runs this site as a hobby.

#54 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

The above are literally just card versions of the table in the book (stuck onto Call of Cthulhu CCG commons cards). I find they make a nice alternative from time to time. I've also used the card theme for giving out NPC information or scene illustrations. Quite handy. :)

Paul

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember – hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind."

– Doctor Who

#55 Logan9a

Logan9a

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:21 PM

I'll stop hitting you with the apostrophe stick when you learn to use them properly.

And if you want some shiny NPC cards I suggest you invest in a scanner and spend some of your own time making them. Paul has a full-time job and runs this site as a hobby. He simply doesn't have time to pander to people's every whim.

Woah!

Did not mean to enrage you. I simply though he had them already done and scanned in.

Down! Down!

#56 DeepFinnOne

DeepFinnOne

Master

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:02 PM

Ah, found this the other day and I have to say I'm enjoying it. I'm only five episodes in but so far Val's character "Mrs Sunderland" is my favorite;)

#57 Henrik

Henrik

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron+
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:58 AM

I just have to say that the last episode was great! I don't know if the players realised that, but when I understood that the old crone in the hut was no other than Baba Yaga of the Russian folklore, I was greatly amused. The black rooster incident in the episode before was also great. I can not wait for the next installment!

#58 Kadath

Kadath

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

I too have just started on the Orient Express, following on from listening to all the Yog Radios, most of the small audio content, the one off games, SoYS, Dark Continent (excellent!) and all the other fabulous goodies to be found in the treasure room of the media patrons forum. The only reason I skipped Masks is because I am half way through playing it so will come back to that later.

As usual I am listening in the car to and from work (45 mins to an hour each way) and sometimes at work too and it is hugely entertaining stuff. The improved audio quality is great as many of the earlier games I could only really listen to while stationary without excessive wind noise :).

My favourite line so far was in Paris when Helen was wanting to go off sight seeing and enquired about where the Eiffel Tower was and Paul says 'The Eiffel Tower is a significant point on the landscape'.

I am sure he meant 'landmark' but the irony made me ROFL (which is no meant feat while driving i can tell you!)

Kadath

#59 Kadath

Kadath

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:12 AM

This is probably in the wrong thread but as it is being discussed here goes.

PoC when making your Insanity deck did you look at the assorted Phobias available in Mythos CCG decks?

My recollection is there were dozens and dozens of various Insanities and Phobias as part of the game mechanic, and when you started mentioning the Insanity deck I thought of my VAST Mythos collection languising unplayed in the games room - they might make an interesting varient (just as an indication of what particular phobia or insanity the PC suffers). Some are quite obscure - Triskadecophbia was one of my favourites, although that might be spelt wrong.

One negative issue is that Mythos cards dont have any distinguishing marks to separate the commons uncommons and rares so potentially you could wreck a nice Rare Phobia if you were sticking stuff to them, but I guess the point is you could use this deck as is instead of rolling on a table.

As a Keeper though, I do like to link the phobia to the events witnessed or experienced by the character, so seeing a Ghoul feasting on the innards of your girlfriend giving you a random phobic fear of open spaces would seem to jar with the game narrative, while a fear of offal and carcasses would be more acceptable.

I am loving the character cards as well and was thinking of doing something similar for my upcoming SoYS game.

Finally, are you using the stack of five pound notes as an ingame money pool during the campaign? Its a really nice touch if so, although where the party have a number of wealthy players presumably they just need to arrange a withdrawal in any major city and they are fine again.

Kadath

#60 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:31 PM

PoC when making your Insanity deck did you look at the assorted Phobias available in Mythos CCG decks?

I actually use cards from Fantasy Flight Games' Call of Cthulhu CCG rather than Chaosium's Mythos card game (as I have more of them)!

One negative issue is that Mythos cards dont have any distinguishing marks to separate the commons uncommons and rares so potentially you could wreck a nice Rare Phobia if you were sticking stuff to them, but I guess the point is you could use this deck as is instead of rolling on a table.

Fortunately because I used the FFG cards, they do have rarity markers, and so I just used "commons". :) I liked the idea of the 'deck' as it gives the players more of a sense of "choosing their own fate" than a simple dice roll may - it's their choice what card they take, even if they don't know what it is. (Still working on that 'forced pick' technique. ;))

Finally, are you using the stack of five pound notes as an ingame money pool during the campaign? Its a really nice touch if so, although where the party have a number of wealthy players presumably they just need to arrange a withdrawal in any major city and they are fine again.

The stack of five pound notes are indeed used as an in-game money pool. It's interesting to see the players argue over it, stealing/secreting parts of it from others. :twisted:

Paul

– Doctor Who