97 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:18 PM

This thread is for discussion of the planned Horror on the Orient Express Audio Game, which is due to start recording New Year 2007.

We hope to use two different recording methods for the game:

1) Standard recording technique as used in Masks of Nyarlathotep Audio Game session #12 onwards.

2) Binaural recording as discussed in The Brazen Head: New Journeys into Sound...

As we'll be looking to implement some new equipment for this, we're going to have a small fundraising drive on the site in the near future (mostly PoC chattel selling) - including the auction of a copy of Ken Hite's Dubious Shards - Limited edition convention paper-copy, WizKids Great Cthulhu (brand new, boxed), and probably a few other bits & pieces. Look out for a 'YSDC Attic Auction' topic in the 'For Sale' forum, soon.

With the new HotOE recordings we'll also be setting up a special (private) 'Media Patrons' area where people who want to support the projects financially can subscribe for a few dollars a month and get access to:

1) Advance/raw sessions ASAP after they're recorded (which could be several weeks->months before general release).

2) Much higher quality audio (with planned Binaural recordings at 96-128kbps stereo).

3) Any Keeper Diaries produced (audio or written).

4) Facility to have 'Media Patron' as your special rank title on the forums and use the 'Media Patron' avatar (should you so wish).

5) Other curios/oddities that may never end up making it to the rest of the site for one reason or another.

6) Other things as we think of them.

Why are we offering this? Simply to help cover some of the anticipated costs of producing the next game (equipment/bandwidth/storage). Also I think it would be nice if the players got some new pencils and pizzas every so often (those old pizzas are getting a bit stale... mmmm chewy)!

As usual, we're trying to garner funds from several different sources to make ends meet, so nothing new. ;)

To clarify, all the audio will eventually be released for free, but at a much lower (standard) quality and quite some time later (due to editing and the further admin involved).

So there you go!

Paul

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember – hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind."

– Doctor Who

#2 swj719

swj719

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:49 PM

i'll sign up for a fiver (US)...

Hal already takes one from me... Only fair you do it too... :)

Ooooooo Would you also put up the raw audio from Masks? I wanna hear the naughty bits Claire got you to cut... :)
I have the heart of a child.

I keep it in a jar next to my computer...

#3 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:00 AM

We're planning a Masks data DVD for release at some point which will have the higher quality files if you want them. The files will be the same as the general release (and very little was cut at all), but will no doubt contain 'extras'.

Paul

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember – hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind."

– Doctor Who

#4 SkippyDude

SkippyDude

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

I'd definitely be willing to put some money down to help out with HotOE.

And I'm also interested in the Masks data DVD idea, so I'll look for more on that later.
The man that runs away lives to die another day.

#5 CAThompson

CAThompson

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationChengdu, China

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:13 PM

I'll pitch in, I love the audio games.

And wasn't the Masks special edition my suggestion back before Chaosium gave the OK?

#6 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

Most likely. :)

Just posted a Bradford-done binaural test to see how things work:

Possibilities I think.

Paul

– Doctor Who

#7 PrBatblind

PrBatblind

Neophyte

• 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:14 AM

No doubt I'd will pay for it. I'm actually keeping TotOE on c4xtc.com, and I'm always craving for other diaries/game campaign notebook/audio recording of the Orient-Express, definitively my favourite ever.

Another matter of importance is my not being an English native locutor. Add to this I'm French, and you'll understand my speaking, and understanding spoken English, are dreadful. So a better audio quality would be delightful: even if I knew the plot of MoN, I lost many words due to my poor comprehension.

I can't wait for it!

By the way, any written complement to the audio tracks (keeper notes, lists of players/characters, summaries of the games, even integral retranscriptions (!), would be welcome as well, following the same idea: it would be an invaluable help to the oral comprehension.

#8 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

We plan to keep as much of a record as we possibly can. :)

In the meantime, here's a fun little teaser we rustled up!

Horror on the Orient Express audio teaser (843 KB)

Paul

– Doctor Who

#9 Hafwit

Hafwit

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:24 AM

Well, I'm sold. :D

#10 WerewolfPaladin

WerewolfPaladin

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:54 PM

That teaser makes you an evil evil man, Paul. I don't know if I'll be able to afford a media patron thingummy after Christmas, but darn it if this recording isn't tempting me.

#11 MattSheridan

MattSheridan

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:53 PM

Hello, all. I finally managed to sign up for this forum (after trying and mysteriously failing a few months ago) just to say how much I'm looking forward to Horror on the Orient Express. I've been dying for more mythos action since finishing Masks, and the Brazen Head technique is already producing some of the best audio quality I've heard in a podcast, so I really cannot wait for 2007. Man, I hope the first episode it uploaded before I hit the end of World's Largest Dungeon...

Oh, hey, is Paul running this one? I'm not sure whether or not that's been announced. I've wanted to hear Paul in the Keeper's chair for a while, now. The man is insane as a player. Balazaar and all his Masks characters were hugely entertaining.

I don't suppose there'll be an explicit tag on the podcast? Really, I prefer hearing Fin swear constantly that running into mysterious jumps in the audio followed by comments about how you'll have to edit that bit out. And, seriously, is there any need for a Call of Cthulhu game to be all-ages-appropriate?

Anyway, keep up the great work, folks. YSDC's audio projects are great fun, and only getting better as the audo quality improves. Thanks.

#12 swj719

swj719

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

Paul will be the Keeper of Arcane Lore, and I can't wait!!!

And I too hope they leave in the naughty bits... :)

#13 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:11 PM

Sorry to disappoint, but the 'naughty bits' usually get cut, a) For reasons of potential slander B) So the audio can have a wider audience.

Sometimes the audio is played in public areas and swearing coming out of the computer tends to attract unwanted attention. The removal of expletives shouldn't harm the content too much, and we're pretty well trained these days after many episodes of Masks!

Paul

– Doctor Who

#14 FNH

FNH

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:15 PM

No swearing is good! Thanks for putting in the editing time, I appreciate it.

#15 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

The major components of the Horror on the Orient Express campaign box (1991):

Link to 100 KB picture of HotOE components

So far, the last Call of Cthulhu (English language) boxed set released.

- and a short video from a recent excursion on the NYMR, Grosmont to Goathland.

Steam Train movie clips (QuickTime/iPod video format, 15.2 MB). A fair amount of steam - I imagine a lot of deeds could be done on the platform during a venting!

Paul

– Doctor Who

#16 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

Do you remember the Mac/PC game, The Last Express from a decade ago? Dealing with adventures aboard the Orient Express in 1914. Well, here's the trailer and 'Making of' documentary for a bit of info an atmosphere.

The Last Express Trailer (QuickTime, 6.9 MB)

The Last Express 'Making of' documentary (QuickTime, 28.1 MB)

Along with links to the Wikipedia entry for it, and a mirror of the official web site for the game.

http://en.wikipedia....he_Last_Express

http://lastexpress.markmoran.net/

One of the few computer games I've ever fully completed!

Paul

– Doctor Who

#17 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:06 PM

To make keeping track of NPCs in the game easier, I'm copying character portraits onto old Call of Cthulhu CCG cards (commons), of which I will have a set and the Players will have a set, e.g.

Posted Image

Paul

– Doctor Who

#18 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

The Keeper's set also contains additional details and stats for the NPCs. Players can also have illustrated scenes as handouts in the same format.

Posted Image

Paul

– Doctor Who

#19 CAThompson

CAThompson

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationChengdu, China

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

Damn thats cool.

#20 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:28 PM

Thanks!

Where possible I've also been copying map/plans onto the cards. That way if I need to draw out a plan on the table, the reference for it is cupped in my hand rather than having to go back-and-forth referring to the booklet.

Paul

– Doctor Who