43 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:37 AM

We've set up a CthulhuWiki as we thought it could grow into a useful additional resource for visitors to Yog-Sothoth.com.

The CthulhuWiki is designed to be an information resource relating to H.P. Lovecraft and works inspired by his writings, including the Cthulhu Mythos, the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game by Chaosium and even the Yog-Sothoth.com.

Wikis live off user contributions. Something in the Yog-Sothoth.com forums needs preserving or writing up? Then why not preserve it here? (with permission) Always wanted to write an entry about your favourite Call of Cthulhu supplement? Now you can.

An article a day? A week? A month? Whatever your timetable, together we can build the CthulhuWiki into a resource for all Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu fans...

In order to supply entries to the Wiki, you'll need to register. (Since it's an 'add-on' to the site.) If you'd like images associated with your entry, then simply send an email, with the image to wiki@yog-sothoth.com.

We hope over time the CthulhuWiki will grow into an indispensable reference for all things Lovecraftian.

Reach the CthulhuWiki via: http://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki

Paul

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember – hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind."

– Doctor Who

#2 Simstim

Simstim

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:59 PM

First question: what's the policy on spoilers? I can imagine some people will want to look up scenario/campaign supplements without also finding out what the big twist is.

#3 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:07 PM

Simply put a SPOILERS header before it. With 'End of Spoilers' at the end of that particular piece of text.

Paul

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember – hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind."

– Doctor Who

#4 Simstim

Simstim

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:14 PM

That makes sense, but I wonder whether it'd be good to have the spoilery info all stuck at the end of the entry and the "player-safe" info at the beginning? Anyway, I suppose it's up to individual entry-authors, although normally a house-style develops over time on wikis.

#5 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:17 PM

That would likely be the best way, rather than trying to 'skip over' text with your eyes.

Paul

– Doctor Who

#6 Nodens

Nodens

Master

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

It might be fun to write about Masks... It's not there yet.

#7 Jonas

Jonas

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:56 PM

Anyone else think that CthulhuWiki is a new idea for an Unusual Mythos Tome?

**This page has been edited by Nyarlathotep. None may edit further**

#8 phobia

phobia

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:58 PM

Making the page entires "Highlight to see spoilers" should be easy, since the background is white by default. That might be the best way...

#9 phobia

phobia

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:02 PM

Like this: http://www.yog-sotho...ser_talk:Phobia

#10 Guest_squashua_*

Guest_squashua_*

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:54 PM

It's a wiki, gang.

Create a standard template for listing books.
Make it do the development for you.

#11 Jeff_Campbell

Jeff_Campbell

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:05 AM

Well, I think that this is great. I would like to see more a table of contents or index on the first page, though. I am not sure where to put certain things, and since the page is protected, I can't make a new heading.

I want to add a link page for individual campaign pages. Where?

I also really think that the wiki will shine as a tool for Keepers. I forsee a heavily hyperlinked session with Elder Gods, locations, historical events, monsters, wizards, etc. So if I am running a game with some Great Old One, the wiki could show me stories and scenarios that include him, associated servitors and Elder Gods, geographic attachments, historical events that might be tied to him, etc. It would greatly add verisimilitude to my games!

#12 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:36 AM

There's a link off the Wiki Main Page now for 'Group Campaigns'. To create a new Wiki page that isn't directly or indirectly linked from the Main Page, search for the specific title of the entry you want to use, you'll get a 'Not Found' page that says:

No page with this exact title exists, trying full text search.

Click on the link 'this exact title' to make an entry under that name.

Further Wiki Help can be found via: http://en.wikipedia....i/Help:Contents

Templates would be very beneficial.
http://meta.wikimedi...i/Help:Template

Hope that helps!

Paul

– Doctor Who

#13 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:38 AM

Allow me to say Finally.

This was something that was bound to happen in the Cthulhu Community. Excellent of you to start this up Paul!
Visit http://www.callingcthulhu.com/ for all your Lovecraftian Computer Gaming news.

#14 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:08 PM

Thanks, while they're fairly straightforward to set up, wikis need group effort to work effectively, and fortunately I think we have loads of that both here, on callingcthulhu.com, shoggoth.net, flamesrising.com and across the board in the HPL community in general.

Paul

– Doctor Who

#15 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:01 PM

I've unprotected the Wiki Main Page for those who wish to modify it.

Paul

– Doctor Who

#16 Guest_squashua_*

Guest_squashua_*

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

Posted a recommendation for re-organization: comments welcome, it is a wiki...

http://www.yog-sotho.../Talk:Main_Page

#17 Jeff_Campbell

Jeff_Campbell

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:01 PM

I like you schema, it is naturally organized and easy to use. I want it to have more though.

What is the purpose of the wiki? I see two purposes. One is cataloging the authors, supplements, and other ephemera that is of interest to Call of Cthulhu players.

The other is to provide a research tool for the Keepers and players. Something like the layout of the Delta Green wiki would be good. Unfortunately the Delta Green wiki is reluctant to expand into other settings; this limit's it's use, as even straight up DG games will end up exploring where the current horror came from, what was done in the past, etc.

I suggest a page that lists books, one for dates (there is already one for the 1920's, great!), one for GOO's, one for artifacts, etc. Then on the specific page of each of these things, it links to the cults, monsters, Gods, DG ops, 20's era investigations, and everything else that is connected to it. Then if I am running a game, say, set in the Hastur cycle of Tynes and company translated to 1890, and I suddenly need an artifact for the old man to have hidden in his parlor, I can pull up either the Hastur Cycle page, or Mysterious Artifacts page, and probably find what I need. Then this could lead into the cults, monsters, etc. associated with it. I just think that such a thing would make running a game so much more ... easier, and deep.

#18 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:20 AM

To see a list of current Wiki pages:

http://www.yog-sotho...pecial:Allpages

Paul

– Doctor Who

#19 Guest_squashua_*

Guest_squashua_*

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

I figured out how to set up Categories properly.

I made a bunch of changes, but the good sample portion is the re-done Mythos Vade Mecum section. I will elaborate at a later date.

#20 TinyPirate

TinyPirate

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:55 AM

I'm doing some work on a new keeper guide.. but it would be best if others join in on that section, my experiences will be unique to me and we'll need to make sure the articles are as rounded out by other people's experiences as possible.