#2 LordNodens

LordNodens

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:03 PM

Where do you get a copy of this?

Is it a real vinyl or is it a CD cover?

I'll start scanning the 2nd hand record shops next weekend.

Wow, I'd really like to hear that.

I suppose it's not available on itunes yet? :roll:

#3 resident_of_arkham

resident_of_arkham

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:40 PM

You're right, that would be something to hear! ;) If anyone finds out where one can buy it, I'd definitely like to know.
"The cross is not a passive agent. It protects the pure of heart, and it has often appeared in the air above our sabbats, confusing and dispersing the powers of Darkness."
--John Dee's Necronomicon

#4 Dagon-Industries-Inc

Dagon-Industries-Inc

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:22 PM

That's so kool.
Jarred W. Wallace
President
Dagon Industries, Inc.
dagon@dagonindustries.com
www.dagonindustries.com

#5 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:27 PM

My local library had it along time ago...I taped it to cassette, but now my copy is bad....the library has since purged it. :(

It is excellent....his reading of Rats in the Walls.....incredible...when he starts screaming "Magna Mater!!!" it made my hair prick up on my neck.

#6 ParadoxHazard

ParadoxHazard

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:25 PM

I'm deffinitly going to go on a bit of a quest to find this now, seeing as it seems to be a bit of a mystery to most folk.

#7 Aurelius

Aurelius

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

Now it might be a long shot, but still, stranger things happen...

Do we have any readers who have access to the Geddes Language Center at Boston University? As found Here

Call Number: EN 6.004
Full Title: McDowell reads the horror stories of H.P. Lovecraft
Alternate Title:
User Format: Audiotape-Cassette
Copyright Date: 1970
Program length: 00:00:00
Blurb: Roddy McDowell reading two short horror stories by H.P. Lovecraft.
Language: English
Author/Performer:

Index: EN 6.004.000 - McDowell reads the horror stories of H.P. Lovecraft Roddy McDowell Reads

Contents: "graverobber"
"the outsider"

Authors:
Subjects: American fiction--20th century

#8 DrVincent

DrVincent

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

I have seen this Roddy McDowel record, only once, on eBay and was unfortunately out bid. A number of years ago, when napster was still an underground thing, a friend of mine found a bunch of Lovecraft stories read by none other than Orson Wells. He had downloaded 3 or 4 stories when he lost connection and for some reason the entire file was lost *weeps bitterly wile pulling out tufts of hair from head* We were not able to locate them again, they just vanished into the void. Somewhere out there someone has all this stuff and has no idea of its importance.I have since done several exhaustive searches on the net but have found nothing. No one has ever heard of Orson Wells reading Lovecraft. To this very day it remains a mystery.

#9 Sinister-Ornament

Sinister-Ornament

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

List of audio here might be of interest;

http://www.sffaudio....PLovecraft.html

David Cade ones sound interesting.

I've heard David McCallum (Man from UNCLE, Sapphire & Steel) reading a slightly abridged The Dunwich Horror, I borrowed it from my local library about a decade ago - :roll: accidently it got copied.

A few seconds of it are here;

http://www.davidmcca...e.com/voice.htm

“...without warning came those deep cracked raucous vocal sounds which will never leave the memory of the stricken group who heard them, not from any human throat were they born, for the organs of man can yield no such acoustic perversions.â€

#10 Cosmoline

Cosmoline

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:41 PM

McCallum's recording of TDH is indeed excellent. I made a copy of it fifteen years ago but sadly it fell apart.

Another one to watch for is Vincent Price's readings of various short stories of Lord Dunsany. Price's training was as a radio man, and his performance on these stories is absolutely fantastic. I still remember his voice "The Gibbelins eat, as is well known, nothing less good than man."

#11 CharlesDexterWard

CharlesDexterWard

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:29 AM

I have seen this Roddy McDowel record, only once, on eBay and was unfortunately out bid. A number of years ago, when napster was still an underground thing, a friend of mine found a bunch of Lovecraft stories read by none other than Orson Wells. He had downloaded 3 or 4 stories when he lost connection and for some reason the entire file was lost *weeps bitterly wile pulling out tufts of hair from head* We were not able to locate them again, they just vanished into the void. Somewhere out there someone has all this stuff and has no idea of its importance.I have since done several exhaustive searches on the net but have found nothing. No one has ever heard of Orson Wells reading Lovecraft. To this very day it remains a mystery.

Of course, some misinformed dolt probably just mislabeled the Roddy McDowell recordings and put them on Napster as Orson Wells.
"He stumbled on things no mortal ought ever to know, and reached back through the years as no one ever should reach; and something came out of those years to engulf him." - H. P. Lovecraft, 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward'

#12 Arkham102

Arkham102

Neophyte

• 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:22 PM

I realize this thread is rather dated; however, I have a copy of the LP in great condition and I am considering off loading it. Whomever would be still interested is invited to email me at Arkham102@yahoo.com. Thanks.

#13 Donal

Donal

Master

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:33 PM

Well.... I have something like this.....in MP3............
I obv. can't offer to upload these, as that would be illegal, both by me and put the guys hosting the site in a difficult position.

I actually have the following (much of the metadata from my files is lost):

The Outsider - (sounds like Roddy McDowell but is someone called Eric Bauersfeld- cc 1975)

At the Mountains of Madness (from a 35min per episode old CBS Radio Mystery series)
The Horror Within (CBS Radio Mystery series)
The Haunter of the Dark (CBS Radio Mystery series, I think, 30 mins)
The Rats in the Walls (CBS Radio Mystery series)

Fungi from Yuggoth (Not sure if it's CBS Radio Mystery but it's very, very...odd, 61 mins)

Re-Animator (-about 90 mins long - good)

The Statement of Randolph Carter, (15mins long, read by someone with an appallingly nasal american twang, but still..)

The Dunwich Horror, 4 parts, 30 mins each - excellent- Read by Robert M. Price (yes that egotistical twit, opps editor, my favourite from all these, as I prefer unabridged straight reading)

The Thing on the Doorstep - 6 x 15min parts - excellent - (unknown provenance)

The Shadow over Innsmouth - 2 parts - (CBS Radio)

And just for some levity, Neil Gaiman reading his own "Shoggoth's Old Peculiar" live at a con.

I just posted today on on the "Anything Else" forum, that Robert Chambers "The King In Yellow" is available for free download on Librivox.
Check there for the link.

Donal
(I swim so much my girlfriend tells me I'm starting to get the Look...)

#14 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,419 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

I finally found a copy on eBay - in Japan!

RARE RODDY McDOWELL(sic) reads H.P. LOVECRAFT PRESTIGEHORROR
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=180126796123

Paul

#15 manethon

manethon

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

there are quite a few Lovecraft recordings on the USA side of iTunes, and maybe elsewhere. Search for "Howard Phillips Lovecraft".

The samples sound great but the full versions are darn pricey... I'll be looking elsewhere I think...

#16 Max_Writer

Max_Writer

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:12 PM

I'm jealous. I had a chance to buy one of these but the price was a little high. Still looking.

#17 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,419 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:16 PM

For those interested, here are the front and back cover scans of the LP. (Produced by Prestige Records, which was, according to Wikipedia, purchased by Fantasy Records in 1971, then itself sold to Concord Music Group in 2004)

Roddy McDowall Reads The Horror Stories of H.P. Lovecraft (front cover) (JPEG, 154 KB)

and

Roddy McDowall Reads The Horror Stories of H.P. Lovecraft (back cover) (JPEG, 263 KB)

McDowall reads "The Outsider" and "The Hound," stories written by H. P. Lovecraft in the 1920s, in a crisp English accent. Listeners looking for cheap thrills and audio gimmicks won't find them hear. Deep dread and poetic eeriness will be found in these grooves. Liner notes about McDowall by Joe Goldberg, notes about Lovecraft by August Derleth. Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder, produced by Don Schlitten.

Source: http://www.endlessgr...2/horrorspw.htm

Paul

#18 North73

North73

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

I've heard the Roddy version of Dunwich Horror, was able to hire it from Carlisle library (Cumbria, UK, probably binned by now) by far the best version I have ever heard. Rather upsetting section at once stage in which the son of Yog-Sothoth is heard to speak..it's not very nice at all. I remember the cover of the cassette being rather upsetting, too, a pair of goat-like inbreds proudly standing infront of some effed-up redneck farmstead...it's not right, you know... Memorable moments? "Ia, Ia, shub niggurath! as a foulness shall ye know them..." and the pay-off "He lloked more like the father.." is nasty. Give me the heebies to think off it now...

#19 Aurelius

Aurelius

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

Possibly some good news... I'm a big fan of old time radio serials, and one of the sites I've visited a lot was ZombieAstronaut - and in his newsfeeds for the show (available Here , in his comments for April :

"I have a few tasty bits of audio coming up (as soon as they arrive in the mail and I get them converted). I recently acquired two records - one of Roddy McDowall reading H. P. Lovecraft and one of Burgess Meredith reading Ray Bradbury. They'll be appearing within a few weeks."

I'll mail him and ask for progress, since it seems he'll have a few visitors from here when that becomes available!

Edit - Afraid it's bad news regarding the Roddy McDowall reading... although still of interest to HPL fans, to quote from Zombie Astronaut's reply,

"Sadly, the Roddy McDowall album fell through miserably. The dealer had two albums marked Lovecraft - the McDowall and the psychedelic band HP Lovecraft, and had the latter in stock, not the first. I'm still looking, however. I'm a huge Lovecraft fan AND a big McDowall fan, so I will track it down.

I don't know if you listen to the podcast, but we will be doing a couple of serious Lovecraft adaptations for an upcoming Lucky 13 series - I'll keep you posted."

So, the search for the McDowall reading continues - but at least there will be some other HPL-related material to listen to whilst searching. :wink:

#20 justadame

justadame

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationThe Other Side

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

This website has a great deal of Radio performances, all sorts of genres, I didn't find Roddy McDowall but it is a massive website to look thro.....

Old Time Radio

http://www.otrnow.co.../collection.htm

The Weird Circle compilation has a load of Edgar ALan Poe stories, begins with The Fall of the House of Usher.......
Contactable by Séance, Oujia Board, Temple Prayers, Email and Facebook (if you know where to look).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Audio, Buy