Photo
- - - - -

Site Upgrade August 2005

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:26 PM

We're planning a site upgrade this weekend (likely Sunday), so please excuse any downtime.

I'll post in this topic again once everything's (hopefully) back to normal, but beware of potential weirdness just in case! (That being more weirdness than the usual.)

Cheers,

Paul

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember – hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind."

– Doctor Who

#2 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:35 PM

Hi Paul,

What kind of upgrade are we looking at? Will this be a backend sort of thing (servers, .php, etc) that we wouldn't notice? Or should we be expecting to see something new? :)

-=Badger
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#3 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:12 PM

Front & backend changes. The site will be effectively shut down this Sunday during the upgrade. As anyone who's done similar before knows, upgrades can be tricky things...

You'll likely not notice much visual change at first until I start altering the graphical look later on in the month. ;)

Paul

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember – hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind."

– Doctor Who

#4 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:43 PM

Planned maintenance begins tomorrow (Sunday 14th August, 09:00 GMT onwards), so the site will be effectively out of commission for the day. Please forgive any funkiness and general breakage you find during that time.

When things return to some semblance or normality I'll post to that effect!

Thanks for your understanding.

Paul

– Doctor Who

#5 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:23 PM

The site should now be back to mostly normal, however there are still updates to do and links to fix (especially to items located in the 'sections' area of the site)

If you come across any problems, please let us know and we'll do our best to fix them!

Thanks for your forebearance.

It's been a long day.

– Doctor Who

#6 Roucheau

Roucheau

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:00 PM

I sincerely hate to pick a nit, but while the new forum looks fine, the ability to track which sections have new posts and the new posts themselves was much better under the old setup. This is from my perspective, I don't know if what I am seeing is happening to others, but it used to be that when I first opened up forums, I'd see the orange highlight in the center of the little bell like icon to let me know there was something new in that area. Whichever forum I opened had similar orange highlights to identify threads that new info since my last log on.

Now when I open up forums I still see the orange highlight in the center of the little bell like icon to let me know there is something new in that area, but now when I open the sections the orange highlight is gone and I see a sort of pulsing in the center of the bell icon to mark new info on threads. That change is not a big deal, however, once I exit the first section I enter, all the other orange highlights disappear and I no longer can tell which sections have new info. I have to click on each section to see if any are pulsing and it's no where near as easy to see the pulsing as the orange highlights.

I'm not sure if this is just me or just the way things are now, but it really slows down being able to target which areas have new info. Other than that one small things, the upgrades looks very nice.

#7 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the info!

The little 'wringing bell' symbols merely indicate popular topics with more than 20 posts. New posts are indicated by orange coloured icons on the left of the forum table (an orange 'paper note' in a circle and to the right of that a small black arrow pointing to another orange coloured paper note-like symbol).

It seems to be working OK from my system, orange symbols still there when I go back and forth. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also a convenient way of checking new posts is to hit the View posts since last visit link at the top right of the main forums when you're logged in.

Paul

– Doctor Who

#8 Roucheau

Roucheau

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:40 PM

Also a convenient way of checking new posts is to hit the View posts since last visit link at the top right of the main forums when you're logged in.

Every time I click on this is tells no files found. I seem to be the only one having trouble, but I run into the same problems regardless of OS platform or brower used (IE or Mozilla).

#9 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:42 PM

It may be worth clearing your cookies for Yog-Sothoth and re-logging into the site to install a new set. It may or may not work, but worth a try!

Paul

– Doctor Who