Modern

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Natai

Natai

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

I've got an itch to run a mythos investigation scenario in the near future, maybe turning into a full campaign down the road. I'll likely be playing the game with my family/children, and in order to keep the barriers that can come from a historical setting to a minimum, I've decided to go with a modern setting.

What existing scenarios would you recommend that could be easily (relatively) adapted to a modern era?

I need something that works to introduce new players/characters to the mythos, rather than using existing characters. I'm also a big fan of providing props in the form of documents or photos (I did this with The Haunting a couple of years ago), so scenarios that already have some material available that could be updated are great.

The system doesn't matter, as I'm planning to use a customized version of Fate Core for the game. (Probably not a common choice, but I've already been working on tweaking this system for another project. I'm spending some time going over CoC, ToC, Acthung! Cthulhu, and Delta Green right now to adapt what I like into my iteration of the system.)

#2 boulash

boulash

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:08 PM

Normally, I would say "Edge of Darkness" all the way (it's written for Jazz age but works fine for Cthulhu now as well), but I think you should chose a first adventure after the setting-up, once you know the characters' aspects and the players' preferences so you can build on it.

I mean, there is so much going on during a Fate creation session that I don't think it's wise to limit yourself to a pre-determined adventure.

Bold move to play Fate-Cthulhu by the way, love the idea :)

Sanity is way overrated

#3 Natai

Natai

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

I'll be deviating from the typical Fate game creation process somewhat. It works well when players are already familiar with the setting or are jointly creating the setting, but with an investigation scenario in an established setting, I believe some adjustments are necessary.

Part of my plan is to take scenario recommendations, select a handful I think are most likely to be a good fit, and pitch them to the players. They can pick which hook they find most interesting, and then I'll work on any adaptations I need to make based on their discussion of the hooks. Then we'll make the characters and start play.

With that, I'll take a look at Edge of Darkness.
Thanks

#4 boulash

boulash

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

Ok, so please let me pitch in a few others:

Spoiler

I fully understand why you'd rather play in a modern setting, but keep in mind that it comes with a few twists (there was a thread about dealing with cellphones for example...).

Hope it helps, have fun !

Sanity is way overrated

#5 eternalchampion

eternalchampion

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Locationsouth of Kadath

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

Hi Natai, firstly I would recommend you not to use classic era scenarios converted to modern times, but to use modern day ones. It will save you a lot of time.

Of course even some “modern day” scenarios have actually been written in the 90s or even 80s, but the whole effort of bringing them up-to-date is much easier. Since I usually play in a modern setting I have done this quite a few times.

As for the scenarios, you could start with “PX- poker night”, it is a free, solid and nice scenario that can lead to Delta Green campaign, if you want.

There is always the good old “The stars are right”, full of good scenarios (of 1-3 sessions at most), with “Love’s lonely children” being my favorite, but since it has some mature matters you might not consider it appropriate for kids. Also there is “Unseen masters”, with three long scenarios with at least two of them being excellent and very investigative in nature.

There are more modern day scenarios out there, but I think those above are more than a good start.

#6 noahghola

noahghola

Master

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

Chaosium just released Petersen’s Abominations, which includes five scenarios, all in the modern setting. I’d recommend checking that out for some campaign-inspiring tales.

https://www.chaosium...ominations-pdf/

When Armageddon is included in the design, all paths lead to the same ill end . . . (Reckoning of the Dead [dot] com)

#7 Natai

Natai

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

Obviously it would be easier to start with modern scenarios (or relatively modern). I just know that there are some solid scenarios out there - especially introductory ones - and don't want to overlook one that can be easily updated. I'm more interested in scenarios that have proven themselves to be fun and more or less easy to run. I'm not opposed to putting in some work on the conversion if needed. (At this point, I'm basically re-writing Fate Core anyway, so what's a little more effort?)

Both my wife and I are former USAF, so "PX- Poker Night" might work well. I'm definitely looking through a number of DG scenarios. Only issue I've got is that the setting assumes the investigators are federal agents (or similar). It has the feel of X-files where the PCs are both investigating and handling the cover-up. My wife is a fan of X-files, so this might actually work out well. On the other hand, if the family is more interested in playing other types of characters, then I need to look outside of DG.

I've got a lot of Cthulhu material, but evidently "The Stars are Right!" and "Unseen Masters" are not among them. I've haven't come across much in the way of a good synopsis of the scenarios in those products. Any chance you could provide some insight before I buy the PDFs?

While looking for those, I also came across "Petersen's Abominations" and am definitely interested. Have you actually run any of those scenarios?

#8 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:17 PM

Delta Green's Convergence scenario is great, and on the DGML and DG website there are a lot of props available for it, including some audio ones which are just fantastic. 

Convergence remains my favourite published scenario, and can work well as the start of a campaign, but again it does involve player characters that are federal agents. In an ongoing campaign, though, players can easily be from other backgrounds, as described in various places in the DG books, such as academics and various other types.

Edited by Shrike, 05 January 2018 - 11:18 PM.

#9 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

I've got a lot of Cthulhu material, but evidently "The Stars are Right!" and "Unseen Masters" are not among them. I've haven't come across much in the way of a good synopsis of the scenarios in those products. Any chance you could provide some insight before I buy the PDFs?

While looking for those, I also came across "Petersen's Abominations" and am definitely interested. Have you actually run any of those scenarios?

You'll find synopses of many of the scenarios here on this very site:

http://www.yog-sotho...Stars_Are_Right! has a bunch of links to reviews for example.

#10 Natai

Natai

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

You'll find synopses of many of the scenarios here on this very site:

http://www.yog-sotho...Stars_Are_Right! has a bunch of links to reviews for example.

I'd initially looked at that page and didn't see much in the way of detail on the individual scenarios, but for some reason it didn't occur to me to check out the reviews :neutral:. Thanks for the suggestion!

In other news, I've managed to piece together the beginning of a core book for my modified Fate Core. I haven't settled on a name yet, but I'm going with Our Terrible Fate for the moment. Here's a look at one of the chapters so far: Basics.

#11 eternalchampion

eternalchampion

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Locationsouth of Kadath

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

Ok, you can find some good reviews of the modules in rpg.net and also other places in the web. I can provide a few tips from my experience playing some of the scenarios, so here goes…

The Stars are right.
Love’s lonely children: Probably named after a song of Nick Cave, it is one of the best scenarios I have played as it successfully uses “evils” of modern society as a background for the Mythos corruption. I have modified it in order to fit a more 00s setting. It does have some mature matters, so you might not find it appropriate for young children.

The music of the spheres: This is a very good investigative scenario with a strong scientific flavor. It needs minimal work to bring it up-to-date.

Darkest Calling: This is one of the two scenarios added in the second edition. It is a good one, set in interesting locals (Arizona desert, Indian reserves and more) and it puts the players in a strong moral dilemma.

I have not played the other scenarios, but they mostly look interesting. “Fractal gods” deals with computers, but since it has been written for the 1st edition of the book (90s) it would need some research and modernization. “The gates of delirium” would be better played with a small group I think. I was less impressed by “This fire shall kill”. It has some nice touches, but I think it would need a lot of work to make the plot believable and coherent.

Unseen Masters
The Wild Hunt: This is a very good scenario that can keep you involved for 3-6 sessions. It is investigative of course and full of interesting characters and a very dark and dirty modern feel of the metropolis, as the one created in the film “Seven”, for example.

Coming of Age: Another long investigative scenario, but also with many opportunities for combat. It interweaves the story with elements from conspiracy theories, Satanism, inter-global corporations and of course with some very classic elements of the Mythos. Somehow it didn’t work very well for our group, but I still think it has many possibilities.

The Truth Shall Set You Free: This is an interesting, novel, but also difficult to play scenario. I haven’t tried it, but it I think it would need at least one player with theatrical inclination.

#12 Natai

Natai

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:24 AM

Ok, you can find some good reviews of the modules in rpg.net and also other places in the web. I can provide a few tips from my experience playing some of the scenarios, so here goes…

Thanks for the feedback and tips.

Not sure this has made my selection any easier, but I've definitely got some options to present.

Thanks all

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modern