Photo
- - - - -

Do you Need Cthulhu Through the ages for HotOE?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OrbitalAxolotl

OrbitalAxolotl

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

I am aware that there are adventures set in the past included in the campaign and I was wondering, is Cthulhu Through the Ages was required to run them?

Also is it a good early campaign? I have already run the Haunting and intend to run the two campaigns in the Keeper's Handbook and then HotOE. Is this a good idea or should I run other adventures first?

#2 boulash

boulash

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

You certainly don't need Cthulhu through the ages (although it's a good read and you might want to consider getting it), pretty much all the information you'll ever need (and even more...) is included in the booklets.

HoTOE is an excellent campaign with a lot of flair, but it's pretty long and there are lots of things to manage as a keeper (it has its flaws, but still has a great atmosphere and lots of opportunities for fun roleplaying interludes with all the passengers on the train).

Spoiler

So I guess that's not an easy task for a beginner keeper, but if you feel confident in your ability to juggle with a lot of elements, go for it. Also know that the scenarios set in the past are optional, so feel free to skip them if you feel the task gets too daunting.

Sanity is way overrated

#3 OrbitalAxolotl

OrbitalAxolotl

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the help. The idea of running a one thousand page campaign is a bit daunting but it seems super cool. I have one other question, if the historical sections are optional how are the integrated into the story without breaking the flow?

Edited by OrbitalAxolotl, 27 December 2017 - 07:56 PM.

#4 andreroy

andreroy

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the help. The idea of running a one thousand page campaign is a bit daunting but it seems super cool. I have one other question, if the historical sections are optional how are the integrated into the story without breaking the flow?

As journals/account for the most part.

In essence, if you do not use them, you get a handout of a journal/book/account giving you the highlights. On the other hand, if you use them, you hand the PC pregenerated characters, run the adventures (in which they "live" the event as given in the journal) and then receive the handout as a reminder.

So for example, in scene 5 you discover a journal in Vienna from a medieval monk who faced some event with his companion tied to the adventure (let's say they his something in Vienna that you found, and the account gives you detail about it), which you are reading on your way to Budapest (scene 6). This is when the optional scene would be played, during that train ride that way the information in gathered in a more "dynamic" way(in my above example, you experience how it was found, how it works and how it was hidden as well as the enemy fought to hide it rather than just being told that info via a handout).

#5 TacoBill

TacoBill

Master

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

The side adventures are a lot of fun and worth doing. They make a nice break from the main train plotline and flesh out the background of the story nicely. We decided to start with the Victorian bit first as a sort of prologue with the option to carry our characters over (30 years aged) to the 1920s. That worked really well.