#1 Fredde72

Fredde72

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

Hello.

I am planning to start HotOE after New Year for my players, but I am wondering how long it will take us to finish.

We are rather slow and meet only about twice every other month, due to RL obligations.

Do you think that most of the locations would be possible to finish in two five-six hours sittings?

If so, I think it will be more ok to wait two months for the next possibility to play.

/ Best regards, Fredrik

#2 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

Which edition are you planning to run?

YSDC Players' Directory

Over 1,500 Players Worldwide

#3 Fredde72

Fredde72

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

The new boxed one.

/ Fredrik

#4 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

Every group's speed of play is different, so there's not going to be a definitive answer. Our group took anywhere from 8-15 hours for a location for example.

What I might suggest given the length of gaps between play, would be to cull the extraneous scenarios/red herrings and focus on the core plot to help keep some kind of focus and momentum.

YSDC Players' Directory

Over 1,500 Players Worldwide

#5 boulash

boulash

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

It's certainly possible to finish every chapter in one or two sessions, and the new edition's additional ones are optional, so I guess it could technically work.

On the other hand, I think HotOE's charm comes from the atmosphere and the immersion, I consider the adventure design itself rather dull and raildroady (pun intended, but still true), so rushing through it kind of beats the point if you ask me. Taking time to mingle in the train just feels so right...

If you know the Youtube channel "Into the darkness", they're at the end and needed 78 2-hour sessions to get there, knowing that they're experienced players and play quite fast (although online play is usually slower).

Sanity is way overrated

#6 James1977

James1977

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

I posted a similar question a little while back about page length vs. game time. The consensus seemed to be that 10 to 12 pages equals roughly 4 hours of gaming (give or take, of course).

I'm also in the prep stage for starting HotOE with my group (we meet once a month), and a quick survey of the core scenario page lengths shows that under this model, you should be able to tackle each location in 2 sessions with your stated game time goals. That's what I'm shooting for too.

I'd be curious to hear how it goes once you get started.

#7 mvincent

mvincent

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Do you think that most of the locations would be possible to finish in two five-six hours sittings?

Certainly. That should be plenty of time, but even for slow groups: the railroadiness of the adventure (and the need to be absolutely on-time to board the train) can allow the GM to set the pace. You can make almost any timeline if you keep an eye on the clock. At worst they miss some stuff in a hurried effort to make it to the train on time.

#8 Mad7eo

Mad7eo

Master

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMilan, Italy

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:14 AM

My players have done the London chapter in 3 (3 hours) sessions

Spoiler

The french chapter in 4 sessions

Spoiler

Now they are in Lausanne :)

#9 Harndon

Harndon

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:19 AM

I cut out all but two of the additional scenarios. Some of them looked terribly long and to not add very much.

Spoiler

Running the whole thing took 16 sessions, usually 3-4 hours each, although I went with a version of the short ending. The longer ending could take another 2 sessions.

#10 Mad7eo

Mad7eo

Master

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMilan, Italy

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:31 AM

I cut out all but two of the additional scenarios. Some of them looked terribly long and to not add very much.

Spoiler

Running the whole thing took 16 sessions, usually 3-4 hours each, although I went with a version of the short ending. The longer ending could take another 2 sessions.

16? Wow! Your players are FAST!

#11 Harndon

Harndon

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

16? Wow! Your players are FAST!

Well, this was 3-4 hour sessions; I think a lot of people play 2-3 hours. Some of them might have been longer, too. Looking back at my campaign diary:

Spoiler

#12 SJE

SJE

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:27 PM

For the Kickstarter reward, we did the whole original campaign in 3.5 days, but we did have 3 top US GM’s rotating shifts to keep us going.
Running Reign of Terror. Survivor of Horror on the Orient Express @ GenCon2013. Keepered Beyond the Lighthouse of Madness, Shadows of Yog Sothoth: Fight Club, and Innsmouth, Masks of Nyarlathotep in London, World War Cthulhu - Saint Cernouf Sandbox, Curse of Nineveh.

#13 TacoBill

TacoBill

Master

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

It took us 46 sessions (of about 4 hours each) to complete. Now that I read above, we must have been really slow!! If it's any use, our campaign log can be found here: http://londonrpg.pbw...ress - HOMEPAGE

#14 MarkMorrison

MarkMorrison

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:07 AM

Good luck; it's a long campaign. My suggestion would be to run the Gaslight scenario, it's huge fun, and self contained - almost a mini-campaign.

Best,

Mark

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jazz Age