• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MadHalfling

MadHalfling

Breakfast Clubber

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:51 PM

A short while ago there was an interview with Mike Mason where solo adventures for 7e were mentioned. Alone Against The Flames is out, I've got it, were there any more ones currently out or are they still to be released?

Also, whilst I was looking into this I came across the old solo adventures and was sure I recognised the Alone Against The Dark cover - looking in my (very - 2nd ed) old CoC box I found I not only had that, but also Alone Against The Wendigo - jolly ho!.  How easy/possible is it to play these with the 7e rules - either the quickstart or (I think I may get it) the full new rules?  Or will I need to use the old 2e ones?

Cheers, MH

#2 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

Some of the skill names would be different but obviously you can easily update those to the ones on a 7e sheet and the QS would suffice I believe.

#3 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

You can also navigate Internet for amateur game-books, Fighting-Fantasy style. I stumbled upon one site once and was pretty much amazed at how many of them can be found. Most are fantasy of course, but there were several horror ones as well and not the worst ones!

#4 Jiminy

Jiminy

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

I believe that Chaosium are developing a significantly updated version of Alone Against The Dark, but have no clue about any others.

#5 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

As I recall, there were a total of five "solo" adventures actually published "officially."  They were, in no particular order:

Alone Against the Dark (Chaosium)

Alone Against the Wendigo (Chaosium)

Grimrock Isle (Triad Entertainment)

Alone on Halloween (Pagan Publishing)

and, most recently, Alone Against the Flames (Chaosium)

Of the three I've played, I always considered Grimrock Isle the "toughest;" I lost more player characters in that adventure...  Fortunately it was set up so that your new character could pick up the threads in a "in-game" way that didn't disrupt the play.  It actually played like an HPL novella -- layers of the onion, and all that.  It's also the largest of the five.  Of the others, I haven't yet played Alone Against the Flames, or Alone on Halloween, but the original two were excellent and a lot of fun.  And, of course, Grimrock was superb.

I don't believe there were any more published solos out there; but I do remember hearing that there were one or two others that were never published -- it was back in the mid- to late-'80's when Fighting Fantasy and other programmed adventures were hitting big...

All of them should be fairly easy to convert to 7th Ed; frankly, 7th Edition is cleverly enough designed that converting or back-converting (if you prefer an earlier edition) is not very difficult.

Edited by jlynn, 08 December 2017 - 10:36 PM.

#6 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:44 AM

There is also one magazine published solo scenarion, The Thing in the Darkness (Steve Jackson Games), this appeared in their "Fantasy Gamer" magazine (Issue 3) and Chaosium had some input on the scenario (Sandy Petersen was one of the playtesters.)

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#7 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:37 AM

How odd that I missed that one -- particularly since I recently acquired the PDFs from SJGs for The Fantasy Gamer!  Thanks for the tip, and I'll definitely look it up.  Have you played it?  Can you say anything about how it stacks up against, say, Alone Against the Wendigo?

#8 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

How odd that I missed that one -- particularly since I recently acquired the PDFs from SJGs for The Fantasy Gamer!  Thanks for the tip, and I'll definitely look it up.  Have you played it?  Can you say anything about how it stacks up against, say, Alone Against the Wendigo?

I've not tried to play it yet, I actually have a copy of the original magazine and I open it as little as possible to avoid damaging it.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#9 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

I've not tried to play it yet, I actually have a copy of the original magazine and I open it as little as possible to avoid damaging it.

Ah.  Well, if you're interested, SJG's Warehouse 23 sells the pdf for each of the Fantasy Gamers for a couple of bucks apiece.  Just if you want to have a copy you can read!  ;-)

#10 MadHalfling

MadHalfling

Breakfast Clubber

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:08 PM

Thank you, all - I shall have a poke round for those others and keep an eye on Chaosium's news for any forthcoming ones

#11 DeUniversumMysteriis

DeUniversumMysteriis

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 AM

I don't know if it is what you're looking for, but I came across this last week :

Monophobia, a collection of three adventures for lone investigator.

Link : http://www.unboundbook.org/?p=82

#12 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:04 PM

It's not precisely "solitaire" but it DOES answer a crying need for one-on-one investigations for those times when only one of your players actually shows!

#13 MrHandy

MrHandy

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Monophobia is excellent, but you still need a Keeper. I've been wanting to write programmed solo versions of those scenarios where you don't need a Keeper, but I haven't had time. I did write a short solo adventure, though it's purely choices and doesn't use the CoC rules called The End of It All: http://www.callofcth...hp?f=142&t=1749

I also recall a solo adventure in one of the old Protodimension Magazine issues that are free online. I think it might have been #9, but I'm not sure.

Zombie Apocalypse: A Blood Brothers style play-by-post forum-based RPG using CoC rules
Space Oddity: Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes/Call of Cthulhu in 1969 Philadelphia
The Terror Out of Time: Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu in 1930 London

#14 MadHalfling

MadHalfling

Breakfast Clubber

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:56 PM

Cheers, I'm aware of those but not sure about them at the moment.  I'm really not a good DM/Keeper, myself, and the other person who I could probably rope in has never RPGed before.  I might be able to collar a mate who is in the US via Skype though - if so I may revisit them.