#21 crazy_cat

crazy_cat

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

I suppose I'll apply my refund to Cubicle 7 store credit when they have their CoC material on sale.

I think mines going to have to go towards the WFRP 4e release and updated The Enemy Within campaign.
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not wish to die"

#22 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

They had their Chaosium licensed titles on sale yesterday at Dragonmeet but I have every one of  those already. Hope the refund/voucher for the cancelled campaign for WWC - CW lasts a bit of time as I already have the Rohan book on preorder and WHFRP looks to be mid year as does Moria and the last voucher they sent only lasted about a month.

#23 ragr

ragr

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:59 PM

At the Dragonmeet C7 seminar yesterday I found Dom to be very reassuring and open about the reasons behind the development. The Intention to have a bespoke system with tweaks for each of the individual sub-genres is an interesting development; with consideration given that it may be backwards compatible with previous product lines.

Now, I'm still wary of a new system, financially as much as anything else, but I think it's all about waiting to see where things head and allowing C7 the time to work things out

In the meantime there's all those products I've not read, let alone played.. 

#24 carpocratian

carpocratian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

Did they give any indication of when they'll start the sale (online) in December?

#25 ragr

ragr

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

Did they give any indication of when they'll start the sale (online) in December?

Unless I missed something I think it's a case of stay tuned.

#26 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:15 PM

This coming week was the suggestion. So could be tomorrow or soon after.

Here's the link for Dom's comment re the imminent sale:

https://www.kickstar...e/posts/2060186

We'll have an offer running on all but the most recent titles, starting next week.

(post from Friday 1st December)

#27 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,406 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:34 PM

I spoke to Dom at Dragonmeet he indicated early-mid next week, discount about 25%.

#28 MonkeyPrime

MonkeyPrime

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

As primarily a WWC GM I was a bit gutted. I love the 7th edition rules set and I can't afford to start getting new system stuff. I'm going to have to have to wait and see what I'm going to do in terms of future support. I kickstarted the London boxset and Cold War stuff and love the products but with a youth workers salary and a tiny child, I have to watch my cash flow carefully
"Give me pony, or give me death.... or quiche actually that would be nice as well"

#29 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

And the sale is live. Full details here:

http://cubicle7.co.u...f-cthulhu-sale/

#30 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,406 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

On January 1st 2018 we will take all of our current, licensed Call of Cthulhu products off sale permanently. They will not be sold by Cubicle 7 after that date.

Also listed is the newly released: Cards from the Smoke for Cthulhu Britannica (but not discounted).

#31 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:41 PM

Also listed is the newly released: Cards from the Smoke for Cthulhu Britannica (but not discounted).

Which is very well worth picking up IMHO. Superb quality accessory for London-set gaming.

It would be great if they also made the London postcards set available for purchase. I was particularly stunned by those, that I received as a Kickstarter backer.

There will also be a sale on the PDFs at DriveThruRPG / RPGNow later this week, Dom says. So anyone looking for PDF specifically will be able to get a bit of a discount then.

I've picked up the World War Cthulhu London and Cold War books in the print + PDF sale. I already have the PDF of the former, from the London campaign. But I'd like the print book. I'm currently playing in a WW2 London scenario, the latest in a long-running Doctor Who / Call of Cthulhu crossover campaign.

#32 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,406 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

I spoke to Dom at Dragonmeet. He said the issue with the London postcards set was that it was advertised as a Kickstarter exclusive.

Mine arrived yesterday.

#33 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

I spoke to Dom at Dragonmeet. He said the issue with the London postcards set was that it was advertised as a Kickstarter exclusive.

Thanks, Yes I wondered if that might be the case. It's a real shame though, I think, because it's one of the most amazing Cthulhu things I've seen for a long time. And it would have been nice for other people to be able to buy it.

#34 csmithadair

csmithadair

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:09 PM

Call of Cthulhu 7th presents the first significant modifications to Call of Cthulhu's classic game system.  Just after that, Arc Dream goes its own way with its own vision of d100 gaming with the new Delta Green rpg.  Now Cubicle 7 is cutting ties with Chaosium to develop its own engine for Cthulhu gaming.  In significantly modifying their classic game engine for CoC7th ed. instead of simply reorganizing its existing rules for better presentation and clarity, has Chaosium set off an unintended domino effect?  Or am I seeing the start of a trend that is an illusory correlation?  Maybe it's more of a licensing/money thing instead of a game system thing?  There are a lot of independent Lovecraftian games on  the market now, so maybe I'm seeing a nascent pattern that just isn't there.  Or is it?  

I believe the publicly stated reasons for creating a new rule set for Delta Green hinged on licensing. At least in the past, having a license meant they had a ceiling of how many releases they could make in a year. I'm sure there are numerous factors, monetary and otherwise, in each company's decision to be or not be a licensee.

Christopher Smith Adair
Freelance Copyeditor & RPG Writer
csmithadair.com

#35 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

Note that the changes to the rules that gave us 7e happened before the (re)takeover of Chaosium by the Moon Design team chosen by Greg and Sandy (the remaining major shareholders of Chaosium) so the new licencing system is entirely down to the Moon Design led Chaosium team and nothing to do with the 7e rules changes.

I was told that the only reason Chaosium had not collapsed before it did was because of the licence fees from the Japanese publisher. So obviously increasing those fees would be a major reason for new Chaosium to  get the company back on it's feet financially after the cash injection.

#36 numtini

numtini

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCape Schrod, Massachusetts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:41 AM

A license doesn't just mean fees, it's also about approval. Judging from the Kickstarters I've backed, Chaosium is pretty quick about turnaround, but it's a hassle and as someone who's an indie fiction publisher, you want to be in control of your project. If you didn't, you'd just submit a manuscript for publication. It's part of the ethos of starting your own business.

#37 tjgreenway

tjgreenway

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:20 AM

Which is very well worth picking up IMHO. Superb quality accessory for London-set gaming.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do with these, from what I've gathered online they'll be an excellent source of inspiration at the very least, and I'm hopeful that the new chase rules will be easier to handle than the rather convoluted 7E ones.

I also caved and picked up the World War Cthulhu books while I still can for a  more than reasonable price - from a quick skim of some of the PDF's, I'm extremely impressed so far. I find it hard to read large books in e-format, so final judgement is reserved until the physical books arrive, but initial impressions are very promising - this definitely looks like a setting I'll be transitioning into when my 1920's London campaign reaches it's climax!

#38 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC Australia

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

A key change we have made to the old commercial licensing regime was get rid of the insistence that licensees paid some/all of their royalities to Chaosium in product. No licensee liked this, because they had to pay to ship the product to the Chaosium warehouse in Hayward.

The actual licensing fees (as in the % paid) have remained the same, we've just changed it to a straight monetary payment. This is far simpler and preferred all round.  

Cheers, MOB - Chaosium Inc.

#39 joerg73

joerg73

Master

• Patron Ultra
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:41 PM

The ditigal sale has started:

@cubicle7
The 25% off C7 Call of Cthulhu games comes to PDF! These titles all vanish on January 1st! Don’t delay! drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/54/…

#40 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,406 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

The actual licensing fees (as in the % paid) have remained the same, we've just changed it to a straight monetary payment.

The percentage is the same, but does that mean the cost to the licensee (publisher) is the same?

[Example numbers used only for simplicity.]

i.e. if a licensee previously paid 10% (in unit numbers) of a product, then from a run of 2,000 they would ship 200 copies to Chaosium. If that product cost the publisher £5 a unit, that would be £1,000 from the publisher's bottom line to cover the licensing fee (ignoring shipping).

If it's a straight monetary payment of the same percentage (again, say 10%) is that of the publisher's production run cost or based on the Recommended Retail Price (MSRP)? e.g. for a £25 book, at 2,000 copies, total = £50,000 @ 10% = £5,000 license fee. ( >> £1,000)

i.e. is the license fee percentage now related to production cost, retail price or something else? The difference could be huge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Publisher