Photo
- - - - -

Joke in Cthulhu for President? Orlando Theme Park?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OrbitalAxolotl

OrbitalAxolotl

Neophyte

• Initiate
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:20 AM

I'm a big fan of HP Lovecraft and recently bought Cthulhu for President and on page 27 there is a joke that says "you ... believe that Yog-Sothoth lives at that theme-park in Orlando" with a footnote that says "If you get this joke - you are way too into Lovecraft." I don't get it and I'm a bit worried that I'm not as big a Lovecraft fan as I thought. Can anyone explain what it means?

#2 CDL113

CDL113

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:18 AM

I believe that it is referring to "Space Mountain" in the Disney Theme Park in Orlando Florida. 

#3 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

I don't know, either. 

A rough Google search or a dozen later, revealed that there's a "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride in the theme park, and guess it might be some sort of reference to that franchise's tentacle-faced Davy Jones character, but I'd hate to think that's the punchline....

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#4 Armitage72

Armitage72

Master

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:03 PM

It could be combining Disney with the fact that yog-sothoth.com is hosted by  a company located in Orlando.

#5 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

Now THAT is punchline that would appeal to me.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#6 mvincent

mvincent

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

At first blush, I though the connection was that Yog-Sothoth "is said to take the form of a conglomeration of glowing spheres", not unlike the ubiquitous Mickey Mouse logo.

#7 chicklewis

chicklewis

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:06 PM

Email the author, why don't you, and tell him he has mystified one of the most knowledgeable Lovecraft fan groups. 

He may tell you the background on his comment.   It will almost certainly be distressingly banal.  

Edited by chicklewis, 07 December 2017 - 11:07 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true."
- Lord Dunsany