Photo
- - - - -

King in Yellow Play Summary Help (spoilers?)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ravenloft08

ravenloft08

Neophyte

• 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

Hi folks,

I am currently running a group through "Tell Me, Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?" from The Great Old Ones that I am modifying (on the fly) to 7ed rules. I am expecting that the investigators are going to finally find a copy of The King in Yellow (the play), but, they will only have a few days (or, maybe only a day!) before they really need to have digested the play (basically, before the critical events of Mardi Gras ...).  

That having been said, I am expecting that the best way for them to ALL get insights from the play will be to have a group reading -- out loud -- of the play among each other. This will probably occur in a somewhat bohemian (read: room filled with candles, oriental rugs, and incense (and other?) smokes wafting about) context.

The challenge is that the summary of the the play is minimal within the text box provided in "Tell Me, Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?" itself, so, I was planning to reproduce and have the various investigators read portions from the scene-by-scene summary of the play that is found in Tatters of the King. The problem, though, is that the end of the play is slightly different in these two summaries. 

!!!SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!!!!!

In "Tell Me, Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?," the summary of the play describes the Pallid Mask being tortured and dying as the King in Yellow arrives. This seems to parallel the fate of Randall Fowler. On the other hand, in Tatters of the King, there is no such scene of the Pallid Mask being tortured and dying. One could argue that Act Two, Scene 1 (there is a misprint in Tatters of the King that identifies this part of the play as Act Two, Scene 2 ... compare pages 21 and 22) could be interpreted as a type of "interrogation" (not exactly torture). In addition, in Act Two, Scened 2, it is said that the Stranger (i.e., Pallid Mask) "collapses" and is renewed by the King in Yellow (not exactly dying ...). 

So ... does anyone have a suggestion regarding how to resolve all of this? I'm happy to just fiddle around with the scene-by-scene summaries to make them fit slightly better with the events in "Tell Me, Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?," but, I'm just curious how folks have traditionally dealt with summarizing "The King in Yellow"?

#2 Eusebio

Eusebio

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:31 AM

Just a thought:

Why not use them both and keep the mystery of the play alive? Let them read out fragments, like you planned, only for them to find out they have slightly altered texts. How is this possible? Has someone been tampering with it? Has it altered itself? And which version is the 'real play', if there is such a thing at all. The general storyline of the two plays will be the same, so it shouldn't conflict with the 'insights' they get from it, but it sure will keep them guessing.

#3 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

I had much the same thought. There is no reason why the text has to be the same in every version or even copy. It may even alter as it is being rehearsed. Now THERE'S an actor's nightmare!

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#4 Aviatrix

Aviatrix

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, in my own "Tatters updated to the 1950s" campaign I didn't worry much about keeping anything consistent about the play, which appeared primarily as a made-for-television but never broadcast experimental film. I did my own summary of the experience of watching it, but the impressions did not agree with what the Introduction to the 1947 Penguin edition* that I wrote. Nor with the summary of "L'homme errant au bord du lac," the updated version of the "Wanderer by the Lake" from Tatters. I don't think you should ever be able to nail down exactly what is in the play; it's certainly an implication of Chambers' stories.

* For the campaign, I decided that in a mass media age just reading the play no longer had the same power, so you could pick up a scholarly edition at specialty bookstores. Now, watching a movie based on it...

#5 ravenloft08

ravenloft08

Neophyte

• 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, in my own "Tatters updated to the 1950s" campaign I didn't worry much about keeping anything consistent about the play, which appeared primarily as a made-for-television but never broadcast experimental film. I did my own summary of the experience of watching it, but the impressions did not agree with what the Introduction to the 1947 Penguin edition* that I wrote. Nor with the summary of "L'homme errant au bord du lac," the updated version of the "Wanderer by the Lake" from Tatters. I don't think you should ever be able to nail down exactly what is in the play; it's certainly an implication of Chambers' stories.

* For the campaign, I decided that in a mass media age just reading the play no longer had the same power, so you could pick up a scholarly edition at specialty bookstores. Now, watching a movie based on it...

Aviatrix, I LOVE the image of this ... a made-for-television, but never broadcast, experimental film. Soooo interesting (sort of a "Candle Cove" feel to it) ... 

#6 Aviatrix

Aviatrix

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

Aviatrix, I LOVE the image of this ... a made-for-television, but never broadcast, experimental film. Soooo interesting (sort of a "Candle Cove" feel to it) ... 

The description of the film is in the "in-progress"* writeup I've been doing. You can read it here.

And if that didn't drive you away, the part about my art-deco Carcosa** can be found here.

* In progress in that when I am finished writing my current story game I plan to finish it. Honest!

** I wanted to play with Carcosa and was bored with the sighing Mediterranean city we normally get.

#7 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:31 AM

I don't remember the exact source, but I stumbled on the document with 8 versions of play, each has a different final act. It was supposed to be given to players to read for themselves. And when the time came to discuss the play - they found out that each of them read a different version!

#8 ravenloft08

ravenloft08

Neophyte

• 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

The description of the film is in the "in-progress"* writeup I've been doing. You can read it here.

And if that didn't drive you away, the part about my art-deco Carcosa** can be found here.

* In progress in that when I am finished writing my current story game I plan to finish it. Honest!

** I wanted to play with Carcosa and was bored with the sighing Mediterranean city we normally get.

I love this writeup of the television movie version of the King in Yellow. Thanks for passing this along, Aviatrix!

I don't remember the exact source, but I stumbled on the document with 8 versions of play, each has a different final act. It was supposed to be given to players to read for themselves. And when the time came to discuss the play - they found out that each of them read a different version!

Ooooooooo ... very interesting. The "Tatters of the King" approach (as you probably already know ...) is that there are three variations for one of the scenes (but, it is not the final scene) -- each of which should be provided to different investigators, so it is a similar approach. But, EIGHT versions is particularly exciting!

#9 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

As far as I remember, the last scene was changed so that it beared not only different outcome, but different meaning to the previous ones, or something like that.

Maybe not 8 - but at least 6 for sure.

Hmm.. maybe it even was somewhere here at Y-S? Try to scan for topics on Tatters and some topics about Handouts.

#10 ravenloft08

ravenloft08

Neophyte

• 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

As far as I remember, the last scene was changed so that it beared not only different outcome, but different meaning to the previous ones, or something like that.

Maybe not 8 - but at least 6 for sure.

Hmm.. maybe it even was somewhere here at Y-S? Try to scan for topics on Tatters and some topics about Handouts.

This might be what you are thinking about ... http://www.yog-sotho...oup/?hl=tatters

#11 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

Well.... maybe yes, it really is. Thanks.