#1 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

Obviously I'm a fan of Clark Ashton Smith, but I am genuinely curious who people think is either the best disciple/writer of mythos fiction in both 'talent of craft' ((I personally give that honor to CAS) or simply in relevance, intrigue or influence. I'll say with shame that CAS is the only non-HPL mythos writer I've read. Any specific book suggestions are welcome!

#2 gingerpete

gingerpete

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

I'm a big Ramsey Campbell fan.  By his own admission his earlier short stories (collected numerous times but most recently in The Inhabitant of the Lake) were pure pastiche, but even so they were superior to most other efforts. His later material however gets better and better and, most recently, he returned to Lovecraftian horrror with the first two books (so far) in a new series, The Three Births of Daoloth. I've only read the first volume so far, The Searching Dead, but it's excellent.  Campbell doesn't do tentacles and hidden cities, but he does do bleak themes and unsettling horror in mundane urban settings extraordinarily well.

Others I've very much enjoyed for one reason or another:

• The Mind Parasites - Colin Wilson (definitely one of the better ones)
  • The Great White Space - Basil Copper (unashamed Lovecraft rip-off but enjoyable)
  • Any short stories by Caitlin R Kiernan and/or Thomas Ligotti

Also, my first exposure to weird fiction back in around 1981/2, courtesy of my dearly departed Grandad (a big horror and weird fiction reader) was The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson.  It pre-dates Lovecraft by a number of years and WHH died in WW1 with only a few novels to his name but all are well worth the effort.  The House on the Borderland is one of my all time favourite books.

Edited by gingerpete, 28 November 2017 - 04:39 PM.

#3 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

In many ways, Robert E. Howard's Mythos stories better emulate action-oriented rpg play than Lovecraft's (and I would argue this holds true for his influence on D&D versus Tolkien's). The Del Rey collection of his horror stories includes the classics "The Black Stone," "The Thing on the Roof," and "The Fire of Asshurbanipal" - parts of all three have been adapted for use in gaming - as well as his Solomon Kane stories.

My favorite Mythos story is "Than Curse the Darkness," by (former Chapel Hill town attorney, doncha know) David Drake.

Edited by rylehNC, 29 November 2017 - 08:34 PM.

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#4 gingerpete

gingerpete

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

Can't disagree with any of that RE Howard love.

#5 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:15 PM

Cold Print by Campbell and said collection of Howard ordered. Thanks, fellas. 

also lol at: "rlyehNC" ;)

#6 tjgreenway

tjgreenway

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

My favorite Mythos story is "Than Curse the Darkness," by (former Chapel Hill town attorney, doncha know) David Drake.

I have to agree with this, I read this earlier this week and have already read it twice again. It's got the brain whirring with ideas for Congolese adventures as well, always a good thing!

Definitely a big fan of R E Howard as well, some of his mythos tales are fantastic, as are his pulpier affairs.

I've been poring over The Book of Cthulhu this week after finding it at the library, Caitlin R Kiernan's Andromeda Among The Stones is a big standout so far. I'd definitely reccomend picking up a similar collection, there's plenty to choose from and they're a fantastic introduction to a whole host of writers all at once - you can then follow up on those you particularly enjoy.

#7 HJ

HJ

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationMaidenhead, UK

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

I do like the short mythos tales of Michael Shea and a big thumbs up for David Hambling.

#8 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

Nick Mamatas has much to recommend. He captures the feeling of something coming to get us from way out beyond the stars (check out Lovecraft in Brooklyn in this respect, especially the Aesop Rock remix). And Laird Baron has a visceral threat in everything the writes. I'm not sure I like it but he's too highly recommended to ignore.

I really enjoy the whole Delta Green oeuvre, Detwiller et al, and Blair Reynolds Black Sands.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#9 Travern

Travern

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:49 PM

T.E.D. Klein (for quality, not quantity, of course).

"Black Man with a Horn", his only purely Lovecraftian horror tale, is absolutely superb, and his others, "The Events at Poroth Farm", "Children of the Kingdom" and The Ceremonies, which show the influences of Arthur Machen and M. R. James as well, are similarly excellent.

#10 DAR

DAR

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:19 PM

• Any short stories by Caitlin R Kiernan and/or Thomas Ligotti

These were the two I was going to mention. I am a huge fan of both, with a preference for CRK mostly because I've been reading her longer. Until I really delved into Ligotti I was of the opinion she was the only real modern heir to Lovecraft in both style and substance. Ligotti writes in clearly distinctive voice of his own, but also gets kudos in my book for being a clear spiritual successor to HPL to style and content.

D.

#11 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

I couldn't pick just one, but my favorite non-Lovecraft "mythos" authors include:

• Clark Ashton Smith
  • Robert E. Howard
  • Thomas Ligotti
  • Robert Aickmann
  • Arthur Machen
  • Lord Dunsany
  • M.R. James
  • William Hope Hodgson
  • R.W. Chambers (only as far as the short story collection The King in Yellow)

Only two or three of these guys are traditionally considered "mythos" writers, and mostly do their own thing with little in common but the weirdness of subject matter, but I think that's why they're my favorites....

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 02 December 2017 - 08:15 PM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#12 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

This is great, folks! Thank you! I buy books faster than I read, which is to say I am constantly buying books, so it looks like my X-mas paid vacation time is spoken for. Haha.

#13 wcburns

wcburns

Master

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

I've only read one of his stories, but I really enjoyed a Richard L. Tierney story with Simon Magus in a collection. 

Robert M Price also wrote / co-wrote a few stories along with being an HPL scholar and editor. "A Thousand Young" is truly disturbing, but I think a good story.

#14 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:38 PM

My list is very similar to Chris's (yoronimos) above except for 'living' authors. There is no one I like that is (currently and catagoricaly) alive.heh

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#15 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

I think that only disqualifies poor Ligotti from my list, but I think Ligotti is usually worth making an exception for :)

I would otherwise agree though, that the "mythos" writers most worth checking out tend to be long dead - most of my favorites did their best work before Lovecraft's time.

With that in mind, maybe the best list of authors to check out could be found in Lovecraft's essay, "Supernatural Horror in Literature"....

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 07 December 2017 - 02:50 PM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal