6 replies to this topic

#1 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:41 AM

The other night, my players completed the Nocturne scenario, and did so by walking through the door to Dream Lausanne, finding the Scroll of the Head in Edgar's taxidermy shop, and despite some pretty obvious hints, decided that "hell with it, we have the scroll. This is all just too weird. Let's get the hell out of here!".

So...how does the fact that they completely avoided meeting the Jigsaw Prince affect the campaign later on, if at all? I still have yet to stage the subsequent encounter on the train, so there is that. Obviously, poor Edgar is doomed, but other than that, does missing the encounter impact things?

-=badger

Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#2 Agent_Bluescale

Agent_Bluescale

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:11 AM

Not really.  At most, if they encounter him later during the finale they may be confused as to who he is.  As he is after the scroll, perhaps you can insert him into another scenario?  Or maybe pull them into the Dreamlands at a later time to meet with him?

Formally One_ofthe_Deep

#3 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:59 AM

Not really.  At most, if they encounter him later during the finale they may be confused as to who he is.  As he is after the scroll, perhaps you can insert him into another scenario?  Or maybe pull them into the Dreamlands at a later time to meet with him?

Hmm, maybe both? I like the fact that their one, brief excursion into the Dreamlands freaked the investigators out, so the idea of torturing them a little by sending them back there sounds like fun. And in general, the players are always on the look out for an arch-nemesis; they haven't picked up yet on Fenalik's existence, so having the Duke reappear once or twice might act as a good fake-out for that. > :)

-=b

#4 mvincent

mvincent

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:57 PM

how does the fact that they completely avoided meeting the Jigsaw Prince affect the campaign later on, if at all? I still have yet to stage the subsequent encounter on the train, so there is that. Obviously, poor Edgar is doomed, but other than that, does missing the encounter impact things?

I'd still stage the subsequent encounter on the train (so that the players will be be familiar with him during the finale). Perhaps have him gloat on Edgar's fate (and threaten the PC's with the same). 

Having him appear in Zagreb might be another option (though less true to the source material).

Edited by mvincent, 16 November 2017 - 10:59 PM.

#5 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:10 AM

I'd still stage the subsequent encounter on the train (so that the players will be be familiar with him during the finale). Perhaps have him gloat on Edgar's fate (and threaten the PC's with the same). 

Having him appear in Zagreb might be another option (though less true to the source material).

Oooh, yes, i like that idea of the Duke gloating about Edgar's fate! Thanks for the suggestion!

-=b

#6 csmithadair

csmithadair

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

Yes, if the investigators retrieved the scroll, the duke can at least suspect that's why he can't find it (especially if Edgar revealed the hiding place to the Jigsaw Prince).

Christopher Smith Adair
Freelance Copyeditor & RPG Writer
csmithadair.com

#7 Mad7eo

Mad7eo

Master

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMilan, Italy

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

My players are in lausanne right now. I've thought about the "take the scroll and run" idea...

If they'll do that I'm thinking about letting they know about Edgar's fate in their nightmares

SPOILER OF THE DOOM TRAIN AHEAD

Spoiler

Edited by Mad7eo, 14 December 2017 - 11:09 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jazz Age