7 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,405 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

I've just heard that Carl Ford (Dagon-Editor), editor of the seminal '80s fanzine DAGON has passed away.

I had several dealings with Carl over the years and he was always a bright, kind, and enthusiastic gentleman. Sadly the planned return of DAGON never materialised; in fact the time between the YSDC news article and now is greater than the time between the last issue of DAGON and the announcement of its resurrection.

Here's an interview from a few years ago where I talked to Carl about DAGON.

Carl T. Ford Interview

DAGON Magazine 1st issue
Last Updated 11 Dec 2013 12:26 PM

A Tribute to DAGON Magazine
Last Updated 20 Sep 2013 12:18 PM

#2 foxflesh

foxflesh

Neophyte

• 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

Very sad to hear this news - Dagon was always a joy to read, and had incredible production values considering it was an 'amateur' magazine. The quality of the writers and artists that Carl attracted was unparallelled. "I think my main strength lies in recognizing talent away from the mainstream and trying to bring it to a wider audience" - absolutely, it was Dagon that first brought T.E.D. Klein, Thomas Ligotti and Des Lewis to my attention.

It's a great interview Paul, of a great, much underrated, and now much missed, gentleman of the Cthulhu gaming scene.

#3 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

Sorry to hear that as well.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#4 Dr_Zarnak

Dr_Zarnak

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:13 PM

Sigh - another part of my childhood has left for Arkham and the stars. I treasure the few issues of Dagon that I have in my collection. Thanks, Carl. Iä! Iä!

#5 MarkMorrison

MarkMorrison

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

Farewell, Carl. What an astonishing run to bring together so many writers and artists to make that magical zine, and turn us all into lifelong ghoul friends. I'll be hauling out my collection and reliving those times.

#6 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:32 PM

Very sad news. Carl was an inspiration for many of us. 

Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

#7 Robin

Robin

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

Was rather shocked to read this in the December issue of Dave Langford's Ansible:

Carl T. Ford, UK horror fan whose small-press magazine Dagon (27 issues 1983-1990; two British Fantasy Award wins) focused on Lovecraftian fiction and the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game, died on 13 November.

I exchanged a couple of brief letters with him back in the very early 90s when I bought what proved to be the final issue of Dagon and when he refunded me the subscription. That doesn't give me much of a connection to him, and frankly I don't know anything about him apart from Dagon, but I'm saddened nonetheless. I thought people ought to know (sorry if I missed an announcement elsewhere).

Regards,

Robin

#8 Doctor_TOC

Doctor_TOC

Master

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

Hi all,

I'm working on creating a tribute book in Carl's memory with proceeds going to charities dear to his heart. The volume will hopefully include some of the best items from Dagon, plus new material from friends, fans and former contributors. The idea has gathered a good response so far, and Carl's partner has given her approval to the project. If anyone is interested in contributing in terms of art or content, please drop me a PM. I've set up a private planning group on Facebook, and contributors are welcome.

Kind regards,

Chris

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release