#1 Taavi

Taavi

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationPnakotus, Australia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:00 AM

NASA's New Horizons spacecraft is about to visit 'the most remote world ever explored by humankind', a large rock in the Kuiper Belt currently designated MU69. They've opened a public competition for a catchier (nick)name for it. Since it's too small to be Yuggoth or Ghroth and has the initials MU I've put up a suggestion that it be named Miskatonic University. Please chime in to support, or nominate your own name! (You can currently vote for some nominations that they like, as well as suggest new nominations; if multiple people suggest Miskatonic University I imagine that raises the chance they will put it on the public ballot).

"Brainstorming DG/COC things without you would be like trying to hunt badgers with a borzoi." - Panchakahq Avatar from Habitica.com. RPGamify your life today!

#2 wharfedalehome

wharfedalehome

Master

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:32 PM

Taavi - I like your approach. I'm no astronomer but I suspect the initials MU may be the Greek letter, Mu. If so, that would signify that the object is the 12th object out from the Sun, or possibly in the 12th orbit out from the Sun. Told you I was no astronomer! That's because Mu is the 12th letter of the Greek alphabet and many celestial objects are named like this. If I'm right, then ironically the best Cthulhoid fit would be the lost continent of Mu. However I'd guess they wouldn't want the same name as they've already got. That doesn't help much I know... Also it has occurred to me that there are 8 planets orbiting the Sun (plus Pluto), giving 9 large(ish) objects, so if MU69 really is the 12th object, where are the 10th and 11th objects?

If not the 12th whatever ....a more mundane (and less interesting) explanation is perhaps that the discovery was originally made by MU University. That could be Marymount University, Miami University or Missouri University *(may be others too?). All of which have astronomy departments (yes there really are several "MU" out there, sadly not in Lovecraft country!).

More to the point...the idea of another planetary sized object out there can give rise to any number of Cthulhu related scenarios as well.

All these ramblings may well sound risible to anybody with astronomical knowledge. So I'd like to know more from somebody better informed than I - lol.

Thanks.

#3 fluffy

fluffy

Breakfast Clubber

• Innsmouth House Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

They ask for more info so I put:

https://en.m.wikiped...rg/wiki/Cthulhu

Was that ok?

Always carry a sturdy safety pin