Photo
- - - - -

Masks Companion Content in the New (2018) Edition of MoN?

Publisher

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

[Split from Petersen's Abominations - heading into layout.... ~ Mod.]

Sweet! And now please talk more about how MoN is going to be ready in PDF form any day now.... ;-)

#2 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

Sweet! And now please talk more about how MoN is going to be ready in PDF form any day now.... ;-)

Masks is coming on  - we are the middle of receiving various art commissions. While we are still aiming for a PDF release before the end of the year, it is important to us (and you) to get it right no matter the timing.

Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

#3 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

Of course, of course. And I wouldn't want it any other way. Just excited and antsy is all. 

#4 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

Hey Mike!

Can you confirm/deny that this new edition of Masks might contain goodies from the recent "Masks Companion"?

I could have swore that I read that somewhere, but wanted to really make sure, seeing as I don't have a copy :)

Thanks!

- Bill

Pretty sure the Companion was written without knowledge of the new edition in mind and the new edition without the Companion in mind. I've heard Mike talk about it a few places...I think he discusses it here?

https://armchairadve...ith-mike-mason/

#5 willmize

willmize

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:36 PM

Pretty sure the Companion was written without knowledge of the new edition in mind and the new edition without the Companion in mind. I've heard Mike talk about it a few places...I think he discusses it here?

https://armchairadve...ith-mike-mason/

That's a bummer, but what can ya do?

I'm going to run it after the new edition comes out, but with Pulp C'thulhu rules and the players are going to be Doc Savage, The Shadow, The Spider, Green Hornet types, traveling for the most part, as their secret identity.

CAN'T. WAIT.

- Bill

#6 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,417 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:42 PM

Hey Mike!

Can you confirm/deny that this new edition of Masks might contain goodies from the recent "Masks Companion"?

From having talked to Mike during September's Cthulhu Breakfast Club, my undertanding is that the new edition of Masks contains no material from the Companion whatsoever. The only thing taken is the idea of clue flowcharts.

- but obviously, Mike is the best to confirm.

#7 mvincent

mvincent

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:21 AM

I'd hazard to guess that the new MoN is based on the updated French version: which has *incredible* graphics, pictures and handouts... but I don't believe the content was really changed. As such: the MoN Companion will be just as useful, but not integrated.

#8 csmithadair

csmithadair

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

I'd hazard to guess that the new MoN is based on the updated French version: which has *incredible* graphics, pictures and handouts... but I don't believe the content was really changed. As such: the MoN Companion will be just as useful, but not integrated.

They may very well have taken inspiration from the French version, but the new version from Chaosium has a whole new writing team of English worthies involved. I've heard there's at least one new scenario, a prequel to the campaign, set in Peru (if I'm remembering correctly). 

Christopher Smith Adair
Freelance Copyeditor & RPG Writer
csmithadair.com

#9 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,417 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

MikeM talks about it in the September edition of The Cthulhu Breakfast Club.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Publisher