• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GRWelsh

GRWelsh

Master

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:24 AM

So, has anyone ever done anything with the Round Hill location mentioned in "The Whisperer in Darkness"?  The inside of it is, after all, a "principal outpost" of the Mi-Go!  If their allies are to be believed, Round Hill "like most of the beings’ main outposts all through the various universes, is a very cosmopolitan place!"  There are metal cylinders there containing the brains of humans as well as other species.  At the time of the story, these were: "Three humans, six fungoid beings who can’t navigate space corporeally, two beings from Neptune (God! if you could see the body this type has on its own planet!), and the rest entities from the central caverns of an especially interesting dark star beyond the galaxy."  And, supposedly, the bodies of the humans who have had their brains removed are "resting safely under proper vitalising treatment inside Round Hill."  We even have a location for Round Hill... It is about a mile and a half east of the old Akeley place, which is itself south of Townshend Village, on the side of Dark Mountain, in Vermont.  

Townshend is a real place, and evidently Dark Mountain and Round Hill are not real places.  There is a "Dark Mountain Games" in Vermont, to the north, no doubt named after this reference, and there are at least two "Round Mountains" in other areas of Vermont, not matching the locations described in the story.  There is a place called Hazel Hill that might be a good fit for the fictional "Round Hill."  

It just seems like a great location for some sort of scenario... I was imagining investigators coming upon large glass vats with bodies inside suspended in clear fluid, with the tops of the skulls removed and tubes and wires going into their hollow heads... Wouldn't that be creepy?

Edited by GRWelsh, 07 November 2017 - 04:50 PM.

#2 DrMonster

DrMonster

Master

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

I agree with you. Just finished rereading "Whisperer in Darkness." Round Hill is a massive adventure seed if ever there was one. Unlike other Lovecraftian locations that seem to vanish after the traumatic events of the story, the hill -- a secret alien base -- is presumably still operating, still tucked away in the rural Vermont landscape.

#3 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

So...you really buy in on the whole 'we are taking care of the bodies' statement ? 

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#4 GRWelsh

GRWelsh

Master

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

So...you really buy in on the whole 'we are taking care of the bodies' statement ? 

No, I was very skeptical of that while reading the story.  But for the purposes of a game scenario, it might be fun if it turned out to be true and investigators could come across the bodies for a WTF moment.

#5 DrMonster

DrMonster

Master

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

Nearly a century ago, Henry Akeley worried that land developers and tourists would stray too close to the aliens' redoubt. I'm thinking that unless the Mi- Go's human allies got the area declared some sort of nature preserve the developers probably have had their shot at Dark Mountain and its environs. So what's the state of Round Hill and the old Akeley farmstead today? Hmmm.

The land is privately owned and is managed by human traitors for the express purpose of keeping people away. Either it is simply fenced off or is lightly developed as the Dark Mountain Resort which caters to a rather exclusive clientele. As long as taxes and utility bills are paid regularly no one bothers about it.

The land was developed despite the best efforts of the Mi-Go. Not even they can stop progress. Round Hill is currently surmounted by a) Akeley Acres Elementary School (don't go in the basement), B) a Walmart Super Center and/or an upscale shopping area packed with big name big box stores, or c) a Branson, MO, style theme park/tourist destination that includes tours of the (now unblocked) cavern system. As usual, the tour only covers a portion of the cave. What's in the rest?

#6 barnabamarsh

barnabamarsh

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Townshend is a real place, and evidently Dark Mountain and Round Hill are not real places.  

You are sure?

https://www.google.i...FQnogBqyDxUzxnJ

#7 cjearkham

cjearkham

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:42 PM

Townshend is a real place, and evidently Dark Mountain and Round Hill are not real places.  

You are sure?

https://www.google.i...FQnogBqyDxUzxnJ

That Round Hill is on the other side of the state from the area of "Whisperer". (Admittedly, in tiny Vermont, that doesn't mean as much as in, say Massachusetts.)

I've toured in the Brattleboro/West River area, about 20 years ago. It is very hilly and not conducive to widespread development. (I ended up on an honest-to-Yuggoth dirt road, marked on the map as a road just off a state highway, once I went exploring around Townshend.) Google satellite maps show the rural character has continued.

DrMonster's suggestion of a private landowner now being in charge of the Dark Mountain area rings true.  Assuming Akeley owned the land his farmhouse was on (and wasn't just renting it, as HPL's friend, on whom he based Akeley and his farmhouse, was when HPL toured Vermont), his California son would have been likely to want to sell it after his father's disappearance, and no doubt a Walter Brown was waiting for such an opportunity.

Chris Jarocha-Ernst
Hagiographer of the Cthulhu Mythos

#8 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

I believe completely that the fungi have "taken care of" the bodies. 

No doubt, in much the same way that an Ed Gein, Jeffrey Dahmer, or John Wayne Gacy "took care of" the bodies discovered in their bases of operations....

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#9 DrMonster

DrMonster

Master

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:21 AM

My goodness! You're surely not inferring that representatives of an advanced and ancient interstellar civilization would be less than forthcoming with local aboriginals on a planet they wanted to strip mine, er, I mean share the fruits of galactic society with? Certainly they would have protocols, directives about such matters.

😏

#10 GRWelsh

GRWelsh

Master

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

You are sure?

The Round Hill in the story is given a fairly precise location of "about a mile and a half of east of here," with here being the Akeley place. And we know the Akeley place is "south of Townshend Village, on the side of Dark Mountain." So, the Round Hill of the story must be east or southeast of the real world location of Townshend. If you look up the area in Google Maps, you can see that is all still mountainous, forested and mostly undeveloped land. If you look up "Hazel Hill Road, VT" and show the terrain, that brings up a location that may be a good fit for the "Round Hill" of the story, since it looks like a mostly round hill, and also it is close to a stream that flows down into the West River, where the alien bodies were seen after the flood.

I believe completely that the fungi have "taken care of" the bodies.

No doubt, in much the same way that an Ed Gein, Jeffrey Dahmer, or John Wayne Gacy "took care of" the bodies discovered in their bases of operations....

Well, if the Pennacook myths are true about them, they didn't eat the bodies:

"The Pennacook myths, which were the most consistent and picturesque, taught that the Winged Ones came from the Great Bear in the sky, and had mines in our earthly hills whence they took a kind of stone they could not get on any other world. They did not live here, said the myths, but merely maintained outposts and flew back with vast cargoes of stone to their own stars in the north. They harmed only those earth-people who got too near them or spied upon them. Animals shunned them through instinctive hatred, not because of being hunted. They could not eat the things and animals of earth, but brought their own food from the stars."

Edited by GRWelsh, 10 November 2017 - 10:09 PM.

#11 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:32 PM

But they sure fancied some malted milk !

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' .