#1 Helen

Helen

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 692 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:27 PM

secret-shoggoth-12-banner.jpg

It's time for Secret Shoggoth!

If you want to be involved, please send me a Private Message with the following info (don't just message me saying "I'm in" - I need the details!):

What is needed from you:

• Your name (real and user name)
  • Your address
  • Where you would be willing to send a gift to – just your own country, own continent or anywhere. There's enough people involved that if you don't want to send something abroad, or can't afford it, that’s fine.
  • Whether you’re happy to receive a hand-made gift or if it would make you summon a Byakhee in rage.
  • Whether you might make something hand crafted (this isn't a commitment it’s just that if it's a possibility I need to know so I don't match you with someone who doesn't want that).
  • The address of any wish lists (e.g. Amazon) that you have.

I'll post in the next message a list of people taking part. Please give me three days to get the info up before messaging me again to say you're not there. I'll aim to respond to your original PM so you know I've got you on my list.

Please sign up by midnight GMT on Friday, 17th November, 2017.

I will get details to you about your Secret Shoggoth by end of Friday, 25th November – though I'll aim for sooner. Gifts should be sent by end of Friday, 9th December so shop early if you’re sending far away! If there are any problems please message me so I know you haven't lost your sanity by accidentally reading a dusty tome in the second-hand book shop.

Rules for Secret Shoggoth XII:

• Gifts must be in the range of $20-25 or £12-15 or so.
  • Costs of the gift are before shipping.
  • DO NOT JOIN IF YOU WANT A SPECIFIC GIFT. You might not get it.
  • You must message me when you have sent your gift.
  • You must message me when you have received your gift.
  • Post a thank you in the forthcoming “Thank you Secret Shoggoth” thread - even if you don't love it. Let's be polite.
  • You must have been a registered user of the site on or before the 31st October, 2017.

Please note that if I don't hear from you when you have sent and received you might not be allowed to take part in any future Secret Shoggoth events, especially for repeat offenders. One or two are already on the naughty list... (Sorry to nag but things run so much easier if you talk to me!)

Please note the following advice:

• Please keep it clean and legal - let's say a PG or 15 rating, so no shipping guns to Britain or lock picks to Canada; or indiscrete shoggoth pics to anyone.
  • Contact me if something goes wrong. Again, the sooner I hear from someone the sooner I can fix things.
  • There's little anyone can do to you if you don’t send a gift. But we're Yoggies and above that kind of thing.
  • The gifts don’t have to have anything to do with Cthulhu.
  • Those who live in far flung and fantastic locations may find it extra good to post a short list of electronic things they lust after. Sites like DriveThruRPG will be happy to send an e-copy of a book to Antarctica much faster than the standard albino penguin.

Finally, it's worth a post here telling your Secret Shoggoth what you'd like and what you don't want. No guarantees but it might help!

Cheers,
Helen

"I like weird. It's all I've got. That and my sweet style."

#2 Helen

Helen

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 692 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

Reserved post for Shoggoths! :8E:

Talleryrand
PoC
Fin
GBSteve
PaulFricker
WinstonP
Mysterioso
Lammomedes
Rookery
Gabrielconnor
Munchezuma
carpocratian
ClarenceColeman
Karloff
Nephilim
BenMund
FreddieF
DrDarkspeed
Cthulhubob
Aries04
AdamAlexander
jpowell
carnage_lee

pifpog

Chad Out of Space

Judgetrev

SacredSpud

Johnny

Joerg73

Aklo

BillyBones

Galbraith

Fluffy.

#3 Helen

Helen

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

Five days to go for sign-up!

If you are on the list above, feel free to post your 'Dear Secret Shoggoth' letter in this thread.

#4 carpocratian

carpocratian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:08 AM

Thank you for organizing this, Helen!

#5 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

Dearest Secret Shoggoth,

First, any gift is appreciated, especially those made by hand.

My usual suggestion - which has netted me many a fine read over the years - is for any books of folklore, legends, and/or ghost stories from wherever my Secret Shoggoth hails from. 

Alternatively, I do have an Amazon wishlist (not that you need to buy these from Amazon!) for Sentinel Hill Press' research library, many of which are very affordable (and a few that are definitely not!) and all have piqued my interest.

Normally I'd say I have a full Call of Cthulhu collection, but I've not actually picked up any of the newer 7th Ed. releases (a few of which are within our price guidelines), ditto the print version of the latest Delta Green scenarios. 

(While PDFs are lovely things and I make use of them often, I prefer print as otherwise I tend to forget a file sitting on my laptop whereas a book can gently remind me to keep reading from my nightstand ;) )

Otherwise, I love a good black tea, dark chocolates, or anything you would like to share.  Thanks!

My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#6 Helen

Helen

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 692 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

Seven hours left to sign-up!

#7 Karloff

Karloff

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:19 AM

Hello Secret Shog!

I’m easy to shop for but it can be difficult to mail things my way, so if you’d rather bung me a .pdf or similar, feel free.

Big fan of ghost stories, horror films, obscure RPGs. My tastes are Catholic - silent film, surreal stuff, odd graphic novels, all are grist to my dark Satanic mills.

Surprise me!
Ephemera: where I talk about books and games.

#8 Helen

Helen

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 692 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

Right, after 2 hours work, all messages have been sent. If you are on the list above and don't have a message, please let me know ASAP. After a little cry I will sort it out!

Please remember to name your Secret Shoggoth desires here (yes, I know that sounds a bit wrong). There are no guarantees you'll get what you want but if you don't ask, you definitely won't get.

Cheers,

Helen

#9 gabrielconnor

gabrielconnor

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

Hello Secret Shoggoth, wherever you are!

I enjoy all things mythos, sourcebook wise I have almost everything from 7th edition apart from the new down darker trails and reign of terror. I enjoy sourcebooks that you can incorporate into a game, anything egyptian and anything mythological really. Especially if it's from a far away part of the world (I am Greek but live in the UK:P)

My amazon wishlist might give you an idea of things I enjoy:P And ofc I am always open to something handcrafted if you're into that! 

https://www.amazon.c...G?&sort=default

Cheers!

Edited by gabrielconnor, Yesterday, 05:49 AM.

#10 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:45 PM

Dear Secret Shoggoth:

Solstice's greetings.

I too put together an Amazon wishlist too to make things a tad easier for you as I have a slew of CoC materials already. 

The wishlist has some physical items if you're in my same country and if you are not some electronic items that avoids issues with customs.

Hopefully, this URL will get you there: https://www.amazon.c...=A351PS9HG4NK9Q  or maybe this one: http://a.co/dPRcl20

It is not the default but is the list labeled "YSDC" on the left-most portion of the screen. (If not, and it might not as Amazon seems to want to share only via e-mail which does not work for SS, you need to take the name and the postal address Helen provided to run the search and hopefully get the correct result.)

Mysterioso

Edited by Mysterioso, Today, 01:42 AM.

#11 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted Yesterday, 12:37 AM

Dear Secret Shoggoth,

I'm not the easiest person to shop for since I am pretty much a collector (and a Keeper) so I have almost everything that is reasonable for Call of Cthulhu.

However, I'm open to history or popular culture books about the area you are from: it's always helpful to have some information about your local area for my Cthulhu games (and personal research).

I'm also intrigued by homemade props or fleshed out scenarios with props.

Though if you need something concrete:
https://www.amazon.c...d=2VJ28PYO3IV8Z

Those are all on my wishlist and should be within the amount (or close).

Lammomedes

Hello Secret Shoggoth, wherever you are!

I enjoy all things mythos, sourcebook wise I have almost everything from 7th edition apart from the new down darker trails and reign of terror. I enjoy sourcebooks that you can incorporate into a game, anything egyptian and anything mythological really. Especially if it's from a far away part of the world (I am Greek but live in the UK:P)

My amazon wishlist might give you an idea of things I enjoy:P And ofc I am always open to something handcrafted if you're into that! 

https://www.amazon.c...equiresSignIn=1

Cheers!

That leads to your sign in page...so not much help for your SS.

#12 Galbraith

Galbraith

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted Yesterday, 03:28 AM

Dear Secret Shoggoth,

I await your gift with bated breath, waiting to hear the pitter-patter of pseudopods on my gambrel roof.

I am a person of wide interests: old books, sourcebooks, handmade gifts, fiction - about the only things I could mention that I already have are Island of Ignorance and Shadows of Yog-Sothoth. I am looking to expand my game and scenario idea repertoire, so if you see any cool sourcebooks or magazines with neat scenarios in them, those would be very welcome. I am also open to books from any other systems than CoC, with the exception of D&D 4e.

Thanks!

#13 Nephilim

Nephilim

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:41 AM

Dear Secret Shoggoth, 

as an avid collector of all things CoC, I have nearly everything. The CoC things on my budget that are within my want list are all monograms (the phantom of wilson creek, halloween horror returns!, dead leaves fall, horror stories from the red room) or items that are harder to find and thus probably out of budget (Island of Ignorance: 3rd companion, Achtung Cthulhu: Three Kings, No Man’s Land, Tales of the Caribbean, The Bermuda Triangle, the mysteries of mesoamerica, the resurrected III: out of the vault & The resurrected II: of keys and gates). 

Of course, handmade props or other crafty items of worship are more than welcome as well. As is anything HPLHS or books by mythos writers other than Lovecraft (Campbell, Bloch, ...) since I seem to have nothing but Lovecraft mythos tales in my library. 

Aaaaargh... I guess what I'm trying to say is: just forget about CoC books as I have nearly all of those and do what you want. I'm just here because I like to get something unexpected from someone a bit like-minded (might end up with a barbie-doll otherwise).

Just be wary of sending sacrificial virgins. Postage may be a bit steep on those. Plus they tend to go lost in the mail. 

Thanks! 

ps - reminder to self: don't send messages at 5am when you haven't had your fifth coffee yet. 

#14 gabrielconnor

gabrielconnor

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:49 AM

That leads to your sign in page...so not much help for your SS.

Fixed now, thanks!

#15 BillyBones

BillyBones

Neophyte

• 1 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Greetings and well met yon Secret Shoggoth!

The time and tides have splayed just long enough for the rift to allow for your endowment to reach far beyond the boundaries of the dimension, or at least here on the East Coast of the States.

I am an avid collector of all things CoC and Delta Green; (I currently own CoC 7th ed, DG Agent's Guide and DG Handler's Guide).  Any gift would be much welcomed! Some ideas mayhaps: customized dice and/or dice bag, props for CoC and DG scenarios, character miniatures (https://www.spectreminiatures.com/: too expensive, but along those lines), stand alone dice games (a la' Steve Jackson, et al), stand alone card games (Cthulhu Fluxx, CoC LCG, et al), Delta Green scenarios/ campaigns (Khali Ghati, Music From a Darkened Room, et al), any scenario ideas (Unspeakable Oath issues, etc), an amurleopard unisex barbarian knit beanie octopus (truly.  https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1), a meet-and-greet with Stephen Alzis, an audience with the King in Taupe (the lesser known and mildly annoying half-brother to the King in Yellow), or copies of the Chartreuse Sign (it's the 1980's glow-in-the-dark version of the <gasp> Yellow Sign). Oh, and whirled peas.

Hopes are passed that this will give you some greater idea into the wants and wishes of this lowly servitor.

Happiest of holidays and well-wishes to all.

hello-cthulhu.jpg

#16 DrDarkspeed

DrDarkspeed

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:12 PM

Dear Secret Shoggoth,

Surprise me!

Previously I have received include: A big bundle of YSDC output (including The Express Diaries), An Alan Moore lovecraft graphic novel, some lovely vintage newspapers and a wonderful wooden box with pencil and dice. All great presents, but anything you thing is cool and weird will be gratefully received.

Thanks!

#17 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,085 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:22 PM

Hi Secret Shoggie,

I've got almost all published material but anything else would be lovely.

Ta.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#18 CthulhuBob

CthulhuBob

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationMissoula, Montana

Posted Yesterday, 10:53 PM

Oh Secret One,

I do not need any rulebooks or miniatures. My Shoggoth amazon list is at https://www.amazon.c...P?&sort=default

That being said, lovingly handcrafted, nightmare-inducing, evil-emanating objects are a great delight.

I place this decision in your tentacles.

Iä!
MisCon 31, 26th-29th of May, 2017
www.miscon.org

#19 SacredSpud

SacredSpud

Neophyte

• 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:49 PM

Dear Secret Shoggoth,

Scary Solstice and all that jazz.  I'm not a gamer (scandalous, I know), so I'm not interested in non-euclidean dice or CoC supplements, and I have all of HPL's published fiction, but I'll eagerly accept all other things Lovecraftian (or not, if you plan on throwing me a curve ball (no actual curve balls either, please)).

Yogg-Sothoth Neblod Zin.

P.S. - Please don't slide down the chimney because I honestly can't figure out where it leads.  I request instead that you press your titan bulk against the door until it bursts open.

#20 Chad Out of Space

Chad Out of Space

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted Today, 03:08 AM

Hello Secret One!

So...I totally love weird stuff. Crocheted internal organs, sideshow paraphernalia, rogue-taxidermy (fake or ethical please), garage sale oddities, implausible specimen samples, rejects from the Museum of Bad Art - these are a few of my favorite things. 

I threw some together in an Amazon wish list, more to show range of taste instead of demanding these specific items. There are some game books in there too if you are in a pinch and need to make a snap selection. If you are non-US overseas, PDFs or finding a US-based vendor to keep shipping down is completely understandable. 

https://www.amazon.c...ishlist_lists_3

I am indeed a gamer, I enjoy horror and weird fiction, and I appreciate strange objects. I like oddball indie RPGs as well, if you break that way.

What most interests me is something you specifically might want to share that gives you some personal shoggoth-y joy. If making things by hand is not your thing, maybe you have a favorite unsung Chaosium monograph? Discovered an obscure horror author whose stories haunt your nightmares? I like participating in the Secret Shoggoth circle because they start conversations. 

Bring on the weird!