#1 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:00 PM

Hello, all! My group decided to leave NYC for Cairo and allow it I did. Our first session there went smashingly and I was fully comfortable in the Keeper's throne. However, near the end of the session they were really angling for the Mosque of Ibn Tulun.

So I'm looking ahead to our next session and putting emphasis on doing prep and writing for the group to run into the Clive Expedition and while I was re-reading the chapter I noticed that from the Clive section it jumps to the "Underneath the Sphinx" section so suddenly I was caught off guard. Unless I missed something it would appear the only lead to get there is a minor member of the Clive Expedition. Am I correct? It seemed a little jarring to have such a large aspect of the chapter come from something that's not really even called attention to in the campaign book. Now, I can certainly write and prep for said character to be much more than minor...but I'm wondering if:

1) Did I miss something?

2) Does anybody out there have any suggestions or experience with the "under the sphinx" bit and nudging players toward it.

(Part of why I ask is because the Ibn Tulun section is much further in the chapter and while that wouldn't normally phase me, the intro to that bit seems to indicate that the players should already have seemingly gone to hell and back before this)

Any and all help appreciated, thanks!

#2 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

Geez. Nobody??

#3 mvincent

mvincent

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:16 PM

I've run Cairo a few times. Each time:

1) Ibn Tulun was done before 'Underneath the Sphinx'

2) The players found (without too much nudging) the secret door (or at least a nearby hole) while investigating the Clive Expedition (call for a spot hidden roll while in the chamber: at least one PC will roll well). It was mostly a matter of making it seem hard to get to (yet possibly useful) that made them want in all the more.

But had they not taken the bait, I might've:

a- introduced 'Underneath the Sphinx' while following cultists teleporting to their assembly (as mentioned in the book),

b- left more (improvised) clues (it just depends are where they are searching),

c- used an informant, or

d- skipped it (since it's not mandatory)

Edited by mvincent, 30 October 2017 - 06:19 PM.

#4 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

Thank you so much. I was confused, I think, by the way it was laid out in the book but after reading your post and re-skimming the campaign book I think I now see the mental error in calculation I made. This was very helpful, thank you! Now I have to get cramming for a Halloween session!!

#5 Shanty

Shanty

Master

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

My players will probably be going to Egypt next time we play (having been through Kenya and London first) and I've been a bit worried about this myself. The Egypt chapter is a bit hard to parse - in fact I've only just now realized (thanks to your post, mvincent) that it's possible to get into "The Tunnels Below" from the secret chamber, which is presumably accessible from the surface (Clive's guards notwithstanding). I had it conflated with "Entrance D", since that appears right next to the secret chamber on the map, but is actually buried under a slab 50 yards from the pyramid. I hadn't even considered that players would be getting into the chamber, just thought I'd have to have Gardner drop some heavy clues and have them dig around in the sand!

Oh, and hang on, "Under the Sphinx" isn't mandatory? Nothing in Masks is mandatory per se, but this is one of the biggest set pieces in the whole thing! I'm baffled that you'd skip it, mvincent! I think the egyptian stuff is what people associate most strongly with Nyarlathotep, given the original story's reference to pharaohs, "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs", "Haunter in the Dark" etc

#6 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

My players will probably be going to Egypt next time we play (having been through Kenya and London first) and I've been a bit worried about this myself. The Egypt chapter is a bit hard to parse - in fact I've only just now realized (thanks to your post, mvincent) that it's possible to get into "The Tunnels Below" from the secret chamber, which is presumably accessible from the surface (Clive's guards notwithstanding). I had it conflated with "Entrance D", since that appears right next to the secret chamber on the map, but is actually buried under a slab 50 yards from the pyramid. I hadn't even considered that players would be getting into the chamber, just thought I'd have to have Gardner drop some heavy clues and have them dig around in the sand!

Oh, and hang on, "Under the Sphinx" isn't mandatory? Nothing in Masks is mandatory per se, but this is one of the biggest set pieces in the whole thing! I'm baffled that you'd skip it, mvincent! I think the egyptian stuff is what people associate most strongly with Nyarlathotep, given the original story's reference to pharaohs, "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs", "Haunter in the Dark" etc

Well, my question was rendered moot since my players were hell bent on interviewing the Clive Expedition and successfully gained the trust of Gardener, who agreed to take them to the secret chamber. I ended the session there, since I didn't have the "Dungeon Crawl" written yet (doing that now, combining rolling on the encounters map with writing my own). Going to give them a chance to locate the secret entrance and if they fail that, another chance to locate Entrance D. And if they fail THAT? Well, hehe. Good luck to them!

Also, yes, I was having trouble with the parsing of this chapter myself. Trying to figure out what goes where and how to pull all the strings myself.

Edited by KnygathinZhaum, 08 November 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#7 Shanty

Shanty

Master

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

There's some real meat in the Egypt chapter, but I've had real trouble getting a handle on it.

My basic layout (based on the clues my team have found) is

1. Get background info from the newspaper, possibly the museum
  2. Visit the Mosque, try to work out what the Brotherhood want there.
    Whether the investigators charm their way into the Girdle chamber or not, they really have no way to defend against a Chthonian attack and no way to predict it. Best case here is to be impressed by the Brotherhood's power when the place is inevitably demolished. I would have to railroad them heavily or get real lucky if I want them to steal the Girdle - let alone work out how to destroy it with the enchanted knives they found in Gavigan's stash.
    The companion has a few good ideas for alternatives here, but ultimately I don't see saving Girdle as beneficial to the narrative.
  3. Follow Carlyle's trail to the Bent Pyramid, hopefully climb inside and meet Big N. Entirely optional.
  4. Investigate the Clive Expedition. Get a feel for the NPCs before falling down one of four holes in the ground, romping around the dungeon and probably stumbling into another Great Ritual.

In our narrative M'Weru and the Child were killed in Kenya, so the Brotherhood are pushing Nitokris in as a replacement (as they assume was the Dark Pharaoh's plan all along). So I'm hoping that goes off without a hitch and the investigators will feel like they have to find and stop Penhew himself instead of blocking this part of the ritual.

As it stands, they won't have access to Besart or Nyiti, and I'm not planning to run the Cats scenario.

Knygathin, are you planning on running the resurrection ritual as soon as they get into the Great Chamber? Or can the investigators poke around down there first? I'd love to avoid yet another well-timed arrival.

Side note: Having railroaded the players into the Child Ritual in Kenya, I actually looked up the date of the next dark moon in a 1925 calendar for a death ritual at Misr house for maximum verisimilitude. It turned out to be the day after the current campaign day. Ah well!

#8 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

Knygathin, are you planning on running the resurrection ritual as soon as they get into the Great Chamber? Or can the investigators poke around down there first? I'd love to avoid yet another well-timed arrival.

Yes indeed! And for one main reason: They managed to completely avoid almost ALL trouble with regards to the Ju Ju House, because they managed to do some REALLY smart things and got through that part of the chapter relatively unscathed. This time they shall not be so lucky.

Have introduced the drunken Dutchman and the cats, as well as the name "Besart". Group has already met with Dr. Kafour, Nigel Wassif and Faraz Najir- all situations which went well for them (they narrowly avoided making a choice which very well could have been a TPK). Ma'Muhd is dutifully serving them and beloved by the group at this point. So I'm hoping after this crawl beneath the Sphinx they remember to follow the other leads I've given them. Also, my group went to Cairo immediately after NYC and have managed to not botch things up enough to be trailed...yet. So that might change after this crawl as well. I figure at least ONE brotherhood member will escape to tell the tale.

#9 mvincent

mvincent

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

Oh, and hang on, "Under the Sphinx" isn't mandatory? Nothing in Masks is mandatory per se, but this is one of the biggest set pieces in the whole thing! I'm baffled that you'd skip it, mvincent! 

Well (unlike most sections) there are no clues here needed to advance the story. Although I love dungeon crawls (and I now even have this) it can be a lengthy maze with a good chance of TPK. As a simulationist GM: I allow players to go where they want, so if (despite my serious nudging) the PC's are lucky enough to miss it, so be it.

Edited by mvincent, 09 November 2017 - 06:49 PM.

#10 Shanty

Shanty

Master

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Well (unlike most sections) there are no clues here needed to advance the story. Although I love dungeon crawls (and I now even have this) it can be a lengthy maze with a good chance of TPK. As a simulationist GM: I allow players to go where they want, so if (despite my serious nudging) the PC's are lucky enough to miss it, so be it.

Good points. And Masks does lend itself well to the simulationist approach here since the ritual has a number of tangible results.

#11 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

Speaking more of this Tunnels Below dungeon crawl. I'm doing a mix of rolling on the 20 encounters table and writing my own, but I'm very curious to hear how other people have approached this crawl. Did you plan something at EVERY marker on the map like it encourages you to? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 7e, Jazz Age