Photo
- - - - -

Scenarios involving (nyarlathotep) cults?

Jazz Age

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gabrielconnor

gabrielconnor

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

So I am looking for a scenario to incorporate into my current pre-campaign before I kick off MoN.

I started with Edge of Darkness and created a 2nd part were a cult was after the sarcophagus. That led my players to New Orleans were they discovered a Nyarlathotep cult that they thwarted. Now I am looking for ideas for another cult scenario to tie it all together begin Masks after.

So any scenarios involving cults that I could incorporate into my campaign?

#2 Taavi

Taavi

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationPnakotus, Australia

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:50 AM

The MoN Companion has a prequel scenario featuring Jackson Elias. Including Jackson is whatever you run is recommended, so the Investigators are more motivated to avenge his death.

"Brainstorming DG/COC things without you would be like trying to hunt badgers with a borzoi." - Panchakahq Avatar from Habitica.com. RPGamify your life today!

#3 gabrielconnor

gabrielconnor

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:32 AM

I have already introduced Jackson Elias and the players have already saved him from the clutches of the new orleans cult.

#4 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:22 AM

"Crystal of Chaos" in House of R'lyeh is a scenario adaption of "Haunter of the Dark." 

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#5 Dante7

Dante7

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

Would I be awful for suggesting the Nocturnum campaign?  It doesn't focus on a Nyarlathotep cult but one does weave in and out of the campaign and Nyarly himself appears in a non-hostile role, along with a previously unseen servitor race of his.  

#6 gabrielconnor

gabrielconnor

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

Crystal of chaos and nocturnum! Will look both of them up!

#7 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

Have you checked the Yog wiki?

http://www.yog-sotho...hp/Nyarlathotep
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#8 Dante7

Dante7

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:31 AM

Crystal of chaos and nocturnum! Will look both of them up!

Nocturnum gets some criticism, but I quite like it.  For one thing, most of the creatures  who appear in it are entirely unique to the campaign so experienced players may still find themselves as mystified as most of the characters.  It deals with a conspiracy run by a race spawned by Azathoth (all of which can take unique forms- they're also introduced gradually enough that the players won't know about the conspiracy, or even that these things are the same race, until later), a comet, and a small group of aliens who can take human form.  Nyar's cult may end up helping the investigators because they want to know what's going on and the new race is previously unknown even to most mythos forces. They're aided by a servitor race of shapeshifters. There's also surreal strangeness involving imprisoned mythological deities and a new dreamlands monster goddess. 

#9 gabrielconnor

gabrielconnor

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

After a bit of research and having gone over everyone's suggestions I have decided to go a different route. I will be adapting the scenario "Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home" from The Things We Leave Behind, to the 1920's. It's gonna be challenging because a lot of the scenario clues are based on modern day technology but I feel I can pull it off.

Has anyone run this scenario in the 1920's that could offer some insight?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jazz Age