• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Waxahachie

Waxahachie

Master

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

A question here for anyone knowledgeable as to firearms, particularly those that might commonly be employed in the 1920s. 

One of the PCs in my game went for a swim with a 0.38 revolver, and I was wondering whether or not it would be able to function.

Not being very knowledgeable about guns myself, I took to the internet, and my collected findings seem to suggest that modern firearms would probably be able to be used in this condition...but I didn't really get much about how older weapons would fare.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

#2 eternalchampion

eternalchampion

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Locationsouth of Kadath

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

Revolvers of that era used modern type of bullets. As with bullets nowadays, they had the projectile and the propellant charge in a metal case, which was rather waterproof. Also a revolver is a rather simple and robust gun. The PC has only to empty the gun from any water and use it normally. If the quality of bullets is not good enough, you could issue a fumble (misfire) 5 or 10% for each shot.

Edited by eternalchampion, 23 October 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#3 Roucheau

Roucheau

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

What eternalchapion said. The basic mechanism of a revolver was roughly 80 years of proven engineering by the time of the Classic era. The original black powder ammunition could be fussy, but by the 1920s, almost all ammunition was smokeless and almost as reliable as the weapons using them.

#4 Waxahachie

Waxahachie

Master

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

Thanks folks! 

#5 numtini

numtini

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCape Schrod, Massachusetts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:40 PM

I'm guessing shotgun shells would have been made of something other than plastic and my guess is cardboard?