• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 windandfire

windandfire

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

Major spoilers for the Raid on Innsmouth scenario - proceed with caution.

I've been thinking of how to handle Dr. Najar in the Marsh Mansion chapter of this scenario. Having Nyarlethotep suddenly appear and kidnap Esther Marsh sounds disjointed from the rest of the campaign and comes out of left field. Is there anything you've replaced this twist with that ties back into the story better?

My players have a keen interest in figuring out what's going on in Innsmouth, and get frustrated if they encounter things that can't be investigated or answered during the scenario (such as "what's that big screaming column of smoke that tore open our friend have to do with deep ones"?)

So, any ideas on how to tweak this chapter to tie the twist back around to the plot?

#2 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:14 PM

I've never liked the Nyarlathotep cameo either — a literal deus ex machina that can't be connected to anything else in the whole campaign. 

In the FPS adaption of that scenario (Dark Corners of the Earth), there's a sadly under-utilized plot thread about Esther developing biological weapons from the plants, prehistoric crabs, whatever that Deep Ones have access to and selling them to fascist governments. I don't know if making Najar into Herr Ritter, Freikorps Sneak fits with your idea of the broader world of your campaign, but you could do that. 

When I was planning on running it, I had thought about replacing Najar with a serpent-hybrid a la Dr. Charriere from 'The Survivor.' There's already a Deep One connection there, you get to keep the transformation event if they get in a fight, but he'll also have to escape with his prey by mundane means. It also means Esther may live... 

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#3 windandfire

windandfire

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:50 PM

I'm familiar with Dark Corners of the Earth (love it), and I'm glad there's mention of her laboratory in the scenario. I'm not familiar with The Survivor - what's the deep one to the serpent people? Serpent people would be better than Nyarlethotep, but I'm not sure if it's a better connection to the scenario.

Edit: rereading your post I just noticed you said "serpent-hybrid" - that could be very interesting.

Edited by windandfire, 20 October 2017 - 02:12 AM.

#4 windandfire

windandfire

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

I was thinking about the Dark Corners of the Earth game for inspiration, and remembered about the Flying Polyp cameo fight in the air filled tunnels. While I'm sure that was included in the game for the connection to A Shadow Out of Time plot, I'm wondering if I could use that in place of Nyarlethotep.

My current idea is to adjust Esther's lab to focus less on biology (still it's primary function) and have notes referring to the strange, non-deep one origin sealed well in the air filled tunnels below devil's reef. Players could find her notes about how nothing in the Book of Dagon references it (they stole waite's copy from the players), a few clues from copied pages of the necronomicon (Innsmouth folk have been trying to get Armitage to let them study it), a jar of the Powder of Ibn-Ghazi with a note about how Armitage must have figured out the formula (he was dealing with Whateley and the Dunwich Horror shortly before the players sought his aid), and a slight damaged lightning gun.

Then I'd change Dr. Najar from an Avatar to a sorcerer seeking revenge against the Marsh family, after Obed and his followers pirated and stranded his ancestors in the south seas. He studdied the necronomicon and contacted Nyarlethotep who told him about the great power locked beneath devil's reef. He'll double back and try to kill the captured marshes, and the players will run into him gloating to Esther while casting a spell to open the well and summon the Polyp (who'll likely kill him).

I think that has enough tie-ins to satisfy my players, and they can follow up and ask Armitage about his experience in Dunwich. I've looked over the polyp stats and think that'll be a tough but fair showdown (and I can adjust the difficulty pretty easily on the fly). Anyone have any thoughts?

#5 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

I always assumed his name was a pun on the suggested translation from Egyptian of Nyarlathotep as “there is no peace at the gate”... in this case the “door” is Najar.

I’ll show myself out.
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#6 windandfire

windandfire

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

I always assumed his name was a pun on the suggested translation from Egyptian of Nyarlathotep as “there is no peace at the gate”... in this case the “door” is Najar.

I’ll show myself out.

Yea, I'm going to miss an opportunity for that pun lol

#7 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:31 PM

I'm familiar with Dark Corners of the Earth (love it), and I'm glad there's mention of her laboratory in the scenario. I'm not familiar with The Survivor - what's the deep one to the serpent people? Serpent people would be better than Nyarlethotep, but I'm not sure if it's a better connection to the scenario.

Edit: rereading your post I just noticed you said "serpent-hybrid" - that could be very interesting.

You can read most of it here.

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jazz Age