#1 Taavi

Taavi

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationPnakotus, Australia

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:16 AM

I will likely be running a Call of Cthulhu one-shot at my FLGS in a few weeks time, and thought I would do a WWII mission as a change from 20s/Modern. I have Cubicle 7's World War Cthulhu and also Achtung! Cthulhu plus some modules from the A!C kickstarter, and would consider buying more if something was recommended highly enough. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations/experience for short WWII scenarios that would be good for 3-4 hours play, assuming a mix of player expertise.

"Brainstorming DG/COC things without you would be like trying to hunt badgers with a borzoi." - Panchakahq Avatar from Habitica.com. RPGamify your life today!

#2 Nightbreed24

Nightbreed24

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

I like to use actual military operations in my games. I'm more of a WWI buff, but this battle, where Americans fought SIDE BY SIDE with Wehrmacht soldiers against the SS, has always intrigued me:

https://en.wikipedia...or_Castle_Itter

Throw in the Karotechia and you'll have a hoot.

#3 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

I like to go for Goodnight Vienna myself. Starts with a WW2 plane crash and some interesting decisions and sort of travels through the Libya/Egypt desert region with flavours of the historical Lady Be Good crash, Sole Survivor (a Twilight Zone  episode) and similar semi-historical events such as certain parts of The English Patient.

Goodnight Vienna is from a Monograph, Shadows of War, covering several WW2 scenarios, Goodnight Vienna, No Pasaran (Spanish Civil War), Thracian Gold (Bulgaria 1944) and Isle of Lost Souls (Greek Island post War).

Nigel

Edited by nclarke, 17 October 2017 - 07:18 AM.

#4 eternalchampion

eternalchampion

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Locationsouth of Kadath

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

I have played three WW1 scenarios, two of them ("No mans land", "Not so quiet" from ToC) have a rather strong WW1 feel and I wouldn't try to "transport" them to WW2. The third on ("Sisters of sorrow", form ToC) is set in a german submarine and it can be easily played in a WW2 setting and in the submarine of another nation. It is simple and fun scenario.

#5 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

Assuming a group mostly new to Call of Cthulhu, the ubiquitous beginner scenario "The Haunting" would lend itself really well to being adapted into the sort of "Weird World War" haunted bunker story that became really popular in horror films a few years ago, the sort of thing where a group of haggard and cynical soldiers gets ordered to clear a sinister and seemingly abandoned underground enemy bunker, where weird and supernatural things begin happening, as the soldiers begin to realize that the bunker is [haunted/the site of a super-science experiment gone wrong/the site of an occult experiment gone wrong/concealing zombies/the soldiers' grave and they are already dead/whatever]....

Change enough of the small details, and even experienced CoC players might not realize they're playing a rehashed "The Haunting".

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 18 October 2017 - 03:02 PM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#6 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

I like to use actual military operations in my games. I'm more of a WWI buff, but this battle, where Americans fought SIDE BY SIDE with Wehrmacht soldiers against the SS, has always intrigued me:

https://en.wikipedia...or_Castle_Itter

Throw in the Karotechia and you'll have a hoot.

I ran a session at GenCon 2015 using the premise, but the players had to enter into the castle to stop a crazed SS occult ritual. The prisoners within were the survivors and more than willing to assist the small attacking US Scout force.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pulp