Photo
- - - - -

Cthulhu as a traditional dungeon-crawler?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WillyDynamite

WillyDynamite

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:06 AM

Hey guys, burgeoning Keeper/DM here. I wanted to finally bring a fantasy universe I've been working on for years and years to a tabletop system so I can share it with my friends, and so far, 7E seems like the best way to do that. As a noob, the ability to judge a person's chances of success out of a hundred percent feels very tangible and workable for me in a way I don't think I've ever seen in a tabletop game before. I was intimidated by all the **** I'd have to remember for something like, say, Warhammer or DnD, but being able to have that sort of complexity while also having the relative narrative freedom to ask someone for a roll at some advantage or lack thereof was very attractive. Not to say that I'm lazy, I'm just kind of a one-track mind, so I often miss tables for these kinds of situations and ask people for skill checks anyway, since I like the plans players come up with. A success percentage just /works/ for me in a way 20 sided dice don't really get across with the same immediacy, even if it is the same thing in increments of 5. But enough about me, I have some questions!

Does anyone have any good supplements to a fantasy setting? I know Cthulhu Pulp and Cthulhu Medieval might have some pretty good elements to work with, but I also know those are in another edition, where the average SIZ of player characters in 7e is hundreds of thousands of pounds and 80 feet tall. Is there any reliable way to convert this? If there's an official guide on how to do that, does it have any hiccups, and have you houseruled around it? What should I expect/how much would the game change for things I incorporate from these additions? Would you reccomend one over the other?

One of the things that I like about this system from experience is that it's exceptional for hunting vampires, witches, and other superhuman creatures, which is what this "campaign" is going to be about. The characters can be made incredibly badass as well, but unlike D&D or Warhammer, they never seem to outclass any one sort of monster after a while, and everything presents some sort of danger if the Keeper wills it. Any tips to creating/using a monster in a way that uniquely challenges a party? Also, what represents something with superhuman abilities if the percentages represent the limits of human capability? Maybe I'm not reading carefully enough. If not, feel free to point that out, I wanna be really good at this someday eventually, after all.

All in all, I have great hopes for Cthulhu. The way that stat growth doesn't really promise power and safety the way it does in some other systems, things being directly in percentages making things more inviting/understandable to play around with and modify to my liking, it all just feels like a good, inviting system I can't wait to get my hands on and learn more about, and it presents some unique opportunities to mess with some more traditional "Kick down the door and beat up the bad guys" players without necessarily screwing them over. 

#2 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:12 AM

Cthulhu Invictus is a great Roman setting, and Elric/Stormbringer is also BRP.

Also I moved this to other settings as it's not Trail of Cthulhu.
Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#3 WillyDynamite

WillyDynamite

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:19 AM

#4 ElijahWhateley

ElijahWhateley

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:30 AM

Runequest is another fantasy system that runs on the same engine as CoC.

In the Mythos, there is no such thing as cannon.

#5 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

Design Mechanism's Mythras uses a variant of Chaosium's D100/BRP engine and has settings for Fantasy of various kinds (usually Swords and Sorcery), SciFi (M-Space) and Science Fantasy/Dimensional travel (Luther Arkwright, based on the comic books). With supplements for Firearms and large scale land and naval combat it handles just about anything you could throw at it.

#6 eternalchampion

eternalchampion

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Locationsouth of Kadath

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

Hi WillyDynamite,

I will tell you my opinion on the system. I prefer the classic BRP system, which is actually the one in CoC 6E. I find the melee combat system better and more realistic, being based on Runequest, a game that exists since the 80s (or maybe earlier). A good melee combat system, simple and quite realistic, is what you will need in your setting. I have been a keeper for Elric!/Stormbringer game for some time and the system worked fine for everyone involved. I would suggest you check the BRP yellow book, it has all the rules and optional ones that have appeared in the versions of BRP prior CoC7E. The Stormbringer game might give you some sinister ideas foe scenarios and the "Cthulhu Dark Ages" is very good but remains underdeveloped for now.

That said, if you use the CoC7E, it is quite easy to convert statistics from 6E or the opposite (SIZ80 in 7E equals SIZ80/5=16 in 6E for example). You might find conversion rules in this site.

#7 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

There is a soon-to-be-released brand-new edition of Runequest, the 1978 RPG that began Chaosium and became the second most popular RPG (after DnD) in the late 70s. The quickstart rules are available now and might be worth your look.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#8 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:49 AM

Check out OpenQuest, Legend and maybe Deus Vult

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#9 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:04 PM

To be honest, just the BRP core rulebook should about cover everything, since I imagine there's a lot more 'meat' inside on merging SAN, stats, and all the other optional rules such as Races and Deities than Cthulhu 7E (which is based on human history, rather than fantasy settings).

#10 johnmcfloss

johnmcfloss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationCardiff, UK

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

I've had a lot of good experience with Mythic Iceland - I can't compare it to Invictus (as I've never played), but I found it far simpler to create characters than in Runequest.

Although, tbh, if I was going to run percentile fantasy, I'd probably just run WFRP 2nd edition (with Cthulhu sanity ported in) - that's what it's built for, after all.