• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keppada

Keppada

Neophyte

• 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:40 AM

Hi,

Gonna be running this scenario for 5 players on halloween. This has not been released for 7th edition but we will be using 7th e rules. This story seems pretty sandboxy and haven't been able to find any tips for running this story. Is there any keepers here that have run it and have some tips / improvement ideas to share? Also interested about handouts if anyone has made some :)

#2 DadsAngry

DadsAngry

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

I've run this a couple of times. I improved the handouts and create more. In the PDF linked below you will find enhanced handouts from the scenario as well as Inpatient Admission Form, Patient Psychological Profile form, Ink Blot testing cards, and extra notes that I came up with. When I played I took the Inpatient Admission and Patient Psychological Profile form and staple them inside a manila folder and placed a label on each one for each of the patients. This way it look more like a medical patient folder. If you get a hold of some medical folders it would make them even better but they can be costly to purchase.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

If you're going to handout pregens I suggest having two doctors with hypnotism and pharmacy skills, a reporter wanting to do a story on Dr. Brewer, and the rest being relatives to the patients coming for a visit. I had Billings' Granddaughter and Barber's sister as the other PC connections.

Write up a couple of the NPC patients as PC characters so they can be used a replacements if a PC dies. Hawkins, Randolph, and Barber aren't to far gone to be used.

In the two times I ran this scenario, the first time would have ended in a TPK, but one of the players rolled a 01 to build a sea worthy raft to escape. The second time the players were able to successfully complete the adventure as written. 

#3 Keppada

Keppada

Neophyte

• 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

I've run this a couple of times. I improved the handouts and create more. In the PDF linked below you will find enhanced handouts from the scenario as well as Inpatient Admission Form, Patient Psychological Profile form, Ink Blot testing cards, and extra notes that I came up with. When I played I took the Inpatient Admission and Patient Psychological Profile form and staple them inside a manila folder and placed a label on each one for each of the patients. This way it look more like a medical patient folder. If you get a hold of some medical folders it would make them even better but they can be costly to purchase.

If you're going to handout pregens I suggest having two doctors with hypnotism and pharmacy skills, a reporter wanting to do a story on Dr. Brewer, and the rest being relatives to the patients coming for a visit. I had Billings' Granddaughter and Barber's sister as the other PC connections.

Write up a couple of the NPC patients as PC characters so they can be used a replacements if a PC dies. Hawkins, Randolph, and Barber aren't to far gone to be used.

In the two times I ran this scenario, the first time would have ended in a TPK, but one of the players rolled a 01 to build a sea worthy raft to escape. The second time the players were able to successfully complete the adventure as written.

Holy ****. This is amazing!! The handouts look really good! Thank you thousand times!! :). This helps so much. One more thing, any song / playlist recommendations ? :)

#4 windandfire

windandfire

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

I'm not familiar with the scenario, but it sounds like it takes place in an asylum ;) My go-to background music has an album that would be perfect, depending on what the feel of the place is. The band Midnight Syndicate has an album focused on a haunted asylum, titled Gates of Delirium. Most of their albums have at least a few generic tracks that can fit pretty much anywhere, and cover a wide range of moods common in horror.

A similar band, Nox Arcana, might have some good stuff too.

#5 boulash

boulash

Master

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

I've run this a couple of times. I improved the handouts and create more. In the PDF linked below you will find enhanced handouts from the scenario as well as Inpatient Admission Form, Patient Psychological Profile form, Ink Blot testing cards, and extra notes that I came up with. When I played I took the Inpatient Admission and Patient Psychological Profile form and staple them inside a manila folder and placed a label on each one for each of the patients. This way it look more like a medical patient folder. If you get a hold of some medical folders it would make them even better but they can be costly to purchase.

I really like your handouts, would you mind making the "editable" documents available to the community? I play in French and I'll probably have to translate them, my players usually suck at reading English.

Or maybe a couple of words on how you made them?

Thanks

Sanity is way overrated

#6 DadsAngry

DadsAngry

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

I really like your handouts, would you mind making the "editable" documents available to the community? I play in French and I'll probably have to translate them, my players usually suck at reading English.

Or maybe a couple of words on how you made them?

Thanks

I'm a graphic designer so I built all the handouts using Adobe Indesign. I used Chaosium's Arkham Sanitarium Forms Pack as the templete for the North Island forms so I can not make them available as editable documents. 

#7 armyofcats

armyofcats

Master

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:01 PM

By strange coincidence, I'm also running The Sanatorium as a Halloween game. Really looking forward to it, as it seems like a great setting and the 'fenced in' setting means hopefully the players won't stray too far off track and it can all be concluded in one session.

Thanks for sharing those handout files DadsAngry, very useful!

#8 Oroborus

Oroborus

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:57 PM

My sanitorium scenario used the Hellraiser II trope: a ruthlessly curious psychiatric director selectively uses patients in his hospital to glimpse into inter-dimensional realities that no sane mind can withstand. Eventually the doctor's curiosity gets the best of him and he dances to close to the flame and the players are trapped in a locked hospital with unimaginal horrors.

Thanks DadsAngry for the doc packet. Very nice!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 7e, Jazz Age