• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Patterns

Patterns

Master

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

My dream scenario for Call of Cthulhu is one where every single skill on the character sheet is equally viable in solving the mystery and coming to a satisfying conclusion. So if a player shows up to the game with an investigator that is a geologist, fluent in French and a self-taught accountant they are still going to feel competent and have a good time. It is obviously almost impossible to cover all the bases, especially when it comes to things like languages, but a scenario where the Keeper doesn't have to go out of their way to cater to players with odd skill choices really appeals to me.

I haven't read a lot of published scenarios for Call of Cthulhu. Are there any out there that utilize a wide array of the skills available for players? Do the grand campaigns, Masks of Nyarlathotep and Horror on the Orient Express, have room for odd skill combinations to shine or is it all about Spot Hidden and Library Use? Are there any smaller scenarios that are jam packed with alternative solutions and optional clue trails? Have any of you planned homebrew mysteries where you didn't have to go back and add more clues for players who surprised you with their skill selections?

#2 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

This answer is not the droids you're looking for, but could perhaps still be of help: I myself am a skill-use lover and after aeons of RPGs and cRPGs I hate nothing more than worthless and under-utilized skills. So what I often do is "enhance" whatever scenario or campaign I'm working on with miniature scenes which ask for oft-overlooked skills, or simply add them in where the written scenario either 1) neglected to think of suggesting a skill roll (this happens quite often in published scenarios and I always take advantage of it and throw in my own Roll asks whenever appropriate or relevant) or 2) suggest one roll where perhaps more could be relevant to the situation.

Writing in or shoehorning in little unexpected meta-scenes into your scenarios or campaigns will also give good practice in writing and will most likely delight yr players, since you can often tailor them in ways something pre-written just inherently cannot.

Edited by KnygathinZhaum, 09 October 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#3 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

IMO the real basis of characters in CoC isn't Skills, but Occupations. There are a lot of under-used (and in some cases, unrepresented -- I'm looking at you Engineering) Occupations that scenario-writers and players never think of. When I'm writing a con event, I often try to include  some of these.

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#4 ElijahWhateley

ElijahWhateley

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:42 AM

A good GM will improvise in the moment to help the players find ways to apply the skills they've got, but not all skills are equally useful in CoC, and that's okay - characters start with enough points to have high rankings in multiple skills, including both the very useful and the very niche ones. I don't think I realized how well this was designed until I started playing other RPGs - there are many systems where starting characters might have around a 30% chance of success when using most of their skills, while most CoC characters can have a 60% at several skills.

In the Mythos, there is no such thing as cannon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 1-6e, CoC 7e