Photo
- - - - -

Question about Sandy Petersen: Look of Cats from Saturn in Petersen's Field Guide

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mojojojo

mojojojo

Master

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:09 AM

The cat from Saturn is one of my favorite Mythos creatures & that is largely due to the wonderful S. Petersen’s Field Guide to Creatures of the Dreamlands. I know Lovecraft's description of them was very vague. The field guide gave this description of them.

Though cat-like in overall shape, their body is an abstract mass of arabesques and filigrees of many bright colors. A baroque object at one end can be identified as a head by protrusions that resemble ears, a mouth formed by an invagination in the mass, and two great round multicolored eyes. At the other end is a thick, bushy reticulated tail. The body can exude two, three, four, or more legs, each of which ends in a whip-like paw. It's unknown whether this is its true body, or simply the best representation of it the Dream and Waking-universes can produce, but despite its appearance the body seems stable and not prone to alterations as the filaments of the mass move around.

​The text was accompanied an very eye catching illustration by MARK J. FERRARI.

tumblr_lqscecPWip1qzsz6ro1_500.jpg

What was the inspiration for the unique look/body structure that book gave them. Has Sandy Petersen ever said?

#2 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:53 AM

It's visually similar to some of the later Louis Wain paintings.

Other interpretations are available.
Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#3 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

The first edition Field Guide to the Creatures of the Dreamlands has marvellous artwork all-round ( not so much the companion guide to the Mythos ) but the Cat from Saturn is a stand-out.

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#4 mojojojo

mojojojo

Master

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:14 AM

The first edition Field Guide to the Creatures of the Dreamlands has marvellous artwork all-round ( not so much the companion guide to the Mythos ) but the Cat from Saturn is a stand-out.

Any idea how I would go about contacting the author & artist?

Do you think they would respond if I asked them?

#5 Robin

Robin

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

Any idea how I would go about contacting the author & artist?

Do you think they would respond if I asked them?

You could try contacting the artist here:

http://markferrari.com/

Oh, and yeah, what Tony Williams said.

Regards,

Robin