Photo
- - - - -

Research of "Al Azif" - Arabic sources wanted!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Ningauble

Ningauble

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

Yes indeed :-D.  I have suggested my ideas on previous posts about these two names. These two names are made up without any reasonable meaning. 

As pointed out earlier in the thread, Alhazred is a made-up name, but Azif is an existing word -- se YunusWesley's post (#7) above for the most likely interpretation.

#22 XooX

XooX

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:39 AM

As pointed out earlier in the thread, Alhazred is a made-up name, but Azif is an existing word -- se YunusWesley's post (#7) above for the most likely interpretation.

Yes, It's a guess and its not a strong one. As i have mentioned in post #6 there are too many worlds that could be romanized as Al Azif from Arabic. But none of them has close meaning to Necronomicon. I think he made up Al Azif too, or grab it from Al Azim (the great) or other word. The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.

#23 Nescio

Nescio

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:43 AM

But none of them has close meaning to Necronomicon.

Why should they? Lovecraft never said that "Necronomicon" is supposed to be a translation of the Arabic title, on the contrary he gave highly divergent translations of the two.

(As it happens, his translation of the Greek title - "an image of the law of the dead" - is also suspect. It rather means something like "(the book) of dead names".)