#1 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:42 PM

So, with my current two and a half year campaign coming to a disastrous end as the players decided summoning Cthugha might be the best way to deal with a situation in which a spider god was being summoned by rival spider cultists and their summoned Leng Spider (and not realizing that Cthugha brings with him a crap ton of Fire Vampires), the players have voted between a bunch of options, and chose to play King Arthur Pendragon (KAP).

While it is easy enough to run normal adventures for KAP (the basic system for KAP is a simplified variant of BRP), anyone have any suggestions for bringing the Cthulhu Mythos into a KAP game? I mean, I know there are helpful suggestions in Cthulhu Dark Ages for medieval mythos fighting, but KAP has a different feel than CDA.

I am open to ideas, both plausible and...well, very, very esoteric.

#2 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:19 AM

Are you players voting for 'Sub-roman Britain using BRP', or are they voting for King Arthur Pendragon specifically? Because if they voted for KAP specifically, adding in Cthulhu stuff seems disrespectful of the democratic process.

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#3 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

Are you players voting for 'Sub-roman Britain using BRP', or are they voting for King Arthur Pendragon specifically? Because if they voted for KAP specifically, adding in Cthulhu stuff seems disrespectful of the democratic process.

They voted for KAP specifically, but they also tied with a new campaign based around Delta Green. So the mythos is still strong with them...but you are right, if they wanted no mythos, adding it into KAP would be a bad idea. But they still want their mythos, perhaps just in a different flavor (though the game would be 80% straight KAP).

#4 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:22 PM

I think it might be good to do a second-round set of voting or a discussion to see which parts of KAP they're most interested in. 

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#5 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:41 PM

I'd personally be inclined if I were to combine them to make a Dark Ages setting rather than one that's fantastic. Mythos horror is more unsettling when it's grounded in the real or real-seeming.

However, I'd suggest interpreting Merlin (a son of the Devil) as a son of Yog-Sothoth, and considering whether the Questing Beast, the Welsh afanc and the fish-knight from "The Knight of the Parrot" could be interpreted in a mythos-oriented way.

Edited by JeffErwin, 04 October 2017 - 09:42 PM.

#6 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:41 AM

I was unaware that Artorius Rex had an acronym these days.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>