Down Darker Trails - Guns

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Roguewind

Roguewind

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

I'm partway through reading Down Darker Trails and was wondering if anyone could recommend a source for some more handguns.

In the book there is an example on page 46, where the hero's handgun can shoot up to 3 times a turn.  However, none of the handguns listed in the weapons table can shoot more than once.  I've posted this in the Chaosium's correction thread but I suspect that any corrections will be out after I plan to run a game (and I suspect my players may like the option to shoot more than once at the horror approaching them).   

So any suggestions?

#2 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

For realism you can't beat GURPS Old West.

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#3 HANS

HANS

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

The guns in Down Darker Trails have numerous realism and game-mechanical issues. I've written Investigator Weapons 4 to provide more detail for weapons in the 19th century, but alas it is not out yet.

Incidently, GURPS Old West also has a number of problems. I recommend GURPS High-Tech: Adventure Guns, although admittedly I'm the author of that, too ;)

Cheers

HANS

My books Investigator Weapons 1: The 1920s and 1930s and Investigator Weapons 2: Modern Day are available from Sixtystone Press.

#4 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

The guns in Down Darker Trails have numerous realism and game-mechanical issues. I've written Investigator Weapons 4 to provide more detail for weapons in the 19th century, but alas it is not out yet.

Incidently, GURPS Old West also has a number of problems. I recommend GURPS High-Tech: Adventure Guns, although admittedly I'm the author of that, too ;)

Cheers

HANS

Any plans to write on early modern weaponry (15th-18th c.)?

#5 Roguewind

Roguewind

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

I've never looked at GURPS, how much work would be involved in turning these guns to CoC 7th ed?

#6 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:44 PM

Cheers

HANS

Frankly, I was just too lazy to see which GURPS book Hans had wrote covering the subject.

I've never looked at GURPS, how much work would be involved in turning these guns to CoC 7th ed?

GURPS weapons are probably more lethal? I've never compared them side to side but I think the hit points are comparable.

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#7 eternalchampion

eternalchampion

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Locationsouth of Kadath

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hmm,  just a suggestion.. Maybe that hero has a higher than 75% percent on that gun. According to 6.Ed. rules that would mean that he/she can fire the weapon more times (usually one more) per combat round.

#8 Roguewind

Roguewind

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

Over on the Chaosium board, they've confirmed it was an error.  Each of the guns should have been listed as shooting up to 3 times.

Thanks for all the suggestions.