Photo
- - - - -

How do you write scenarios for Call of Cthulhu?

CoC 1-6e

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

Hello,

Recently, I've finished writing my very own, very first Call of Cthulhu scenario. It was Mythos-light and barely had any paranormal happenings at all; my scenario remsembles more of a classic Cosy Murder Mystery (Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle was a HUGE source of inspiration for me. Personally) than a Mythos Scenario. I made the scenario like this: [place]>[Groups]>[Murders]>[NPC suspects]>[Clues]

How would you generally write a typical COC scenario? Is there any particular template that you follow? If so, do you mind sharing it? :)

#2 chicklewis

chicklewis

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

Vincent VV posted his ideas in the Trail of Cthulhu section recently, but they are appropriate for any set of rules:

http://www.yog-sotho...ent#entry332830

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true."
- Lord Dunsany

#3 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

Thanks! :)

#4 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

This is my literal template for scenarios. It's designed for Shotgun Scenario-sized investigations. 

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#5 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

Oh wow. That is SO helpful! Thanks, King. I needed an organised template to write scenarios, or else I'm afraid it'll get all over the place. ;)

#6 andreroy

andreroy

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:11 PM

I usually come up with an idea and put it on paper. I usually add to it notes, possible threads to explore and pregenerated PC (if needed) ideas ...usually a name and 1 sentence description. These notes are often amended and enriched as I write the rest.

For writing, I start with Major NPC, new Mythos Tome and Key opposition. Once I have my enemy and my helpers, I work on the PC themselves to finish with the scenario.

Maps usually comes last, although I may have a rough sketch early on if neded.

#7 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

Interesting choice. I usually start with clues/murder(s)/motives first, maps/NPCs/story second, and then I move onto Mythos times and the other stuff. Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing half the time and wing it after a specific point in plot; it usually turns out okay, but its results are often...undesirable for me as a KP.

#8 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:05 AM

Whereas I take a scenario or a bunch of scenarios that other people have written, look at my group -- players and PCs -- and then pull the scenarios apart and stick them back together. It's customizing, not writing, but very useful.

One thing Gumshoe taught me:

1. Diagram scenario -- what are the core clues? Where does each clue lead?

2. What skills are required to find the clues?

3. What skills do the PCs have?

4. Do the skills the PCs have = the skills required to find the core clues? If so, you're done. I mean, okay, I will tweak things and prep, but the point is, the scenario's structure is solid. If not:

5. What needs tweaking? Hopefully, just one or two things. If more than one, okay, you've likely got a flawed scenario, and best to know that now. Alternatively, the scenario might be fine, but you just know the PC with Skill X won't be where the clue requiring Skill X is.

6. Now, tweak as needed. No one has Cop Talk? Will Law work? Can someone be Flattered or Negotiated with? Does the clue have to be in the police station? The clue, after all, is information, not a person or item. Can Preparation work? E.g., "I knew we needed to sort through old idols, so I went to the Metropolitan Museum and crammed -- can I do that as a Preparation roll?"

7. Once you've nailed all that down, you're probably done as far as structure goes. Next, there's meeting the enemy -- er, the players. At that point, you're doing a combination of very group-specific prepwork and furious improvisation.

Edited by Lisa, 25 September 2017 - 02:06 AM.

#9 skaye

skaye

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:06 AM

I generally start with an idea for an antagonist or incident and expand from there.

I gleefully take NPCs from published adventures and alter them for my own purposes as part of my process. When I ran my own campaigns, I planned on one-three potential fights in a given session.

I am one of the 'terrible at maps' crowd, so I tend to again pilfer and modify from published adventures.

There's probably a separate thread (I haven't searched) on con games, where you have time constraints, the geographic scope is often limited, etc.

#10 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:44 AM

Oh wow. That is SO helpful! Thanks, King. I needed an organised template to write scenarios, or else I'm afraid it'll get all over the place. ;)

I hope it helps. I have another version where the 'notes' section is a grid; I often have a little diagram of scenes/locations I start with. 

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#11 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:12 AM

Of course. I would be appreciate it if you can give the link to the other version as well that would clearly be very amazing.

The people in this thread is SO HELPFUL. Huge thanks to them. Their opinions and methods are described with simple language. I love it! Keep it up! :D

#12 ReydeAmarillo

ReydeAmarillo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationScotland, UK

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

Hello,
Recently, I've finished writing my very own, very first Call of Cthulhu scenario. It was Mythos-light and barely had any paranormal happeni8ngs at all; my scenario resembles more of a classic Cosy Murder Mystery (Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle was a HUGE source of inspiration for me. Personally) than a Mythos Scenario. I made the scenario like this: [place]>[Groups]>[Murders]>[NPC suspects]>[Clues]

How would you generally write a typical COC scenario? Is there any particular template that you follow? If so, do you mind sharing it? :)

Although I think that Holmes is a great starting point for inspiration (especially for Gaslight) I was a bit confused why you didn't mention HPL as a major inspiration? I personally find that reading HPL and other Mythos authors help me to get into the right atmosphere and " vibe" for writing CoC scenarios. Capturing something of the otherness and disgust and horror that is the Mythos and all it's varied incarnations.

But as far a method goes I personally find initial inspiration in places, history and folklore. I often find that the initial inspirations then make me ask "what if?" and so prompts the scenario hook from there. As regards actual writing I create a clue-web and test and double test that the links work, regardless of where I start. And I plan in some encounters of true fear and horror. The Investigators may never come across them, but they are there lurking in wait, just in case.

As a further thought, if Holmes inspires you then why not borrow and convert some of his stories to a Mythos theme? Musgrave Ritual, Speckled Band, Devils Foot and the obvious Hound of the Baskervilles I think would work quite well.

#13 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

Although I think that Holmes is a great starting point for inspiration (especially for Gaslight) I was a bit confused why you didn't mention HPL as a major inspiration? I personally find that reading HPL and other Mythos authors help me to get into the right atmosphere and " vibe" for writing CoC scenarios. Capturing something of the otherness and disgust and horror that is the Mythos and all it's varied incarnations.

But as far a method goes I personally find initial inspiration in places, history and folklore. I often find that the initial inspirations then make me ask "what if?" and so prompts the scenario hook from there. As regards actual writing I create a clue-web and test and double test that the links work, regardless of where I start. And I plan in some encounters of true fear and horror. The Investigators may never come across them, but they are there lurking in wait, just in case.

As a further thought, if Holmes inspires you then why not borrow and convert some of his stories to a Mythos theme? Musgrave Ritual, Speckled Band, Devils Foot and the obvious Hound of the Baskervilles I think would work quite well.

Again, my first original scenario was a filler-scenario for a preexisting COC campaign that I was running. I switched up the style a bit to keep the PCs from getting too jaded (after the nth description of 'horrors not meant for men', people tend to see through the gimmick faster) and to give myself and my players a it of a break from the mythos activity. I mean, the Mythos isn't everywhere. A normal murder mystery with no Dread Cthulhu lurking in the background would throw them off a bit. 

Sherlock Holmes stories are often very terrible sources of inspiration for scenarios since most people know them (There's literally no one where I live who hasn't at least read 'A study in scarlet'). Furthermore, adding in the mythos to Sherlockian stories actually detracts from the experience as the suspect pool would become too narrow (The Guy Skulking Around The Graveyard, The Fishermen, The Nobility, The man/woman who have an APP of over 18, The Weirdly Religious), while a cosy wold mean they have to deuce a mundane motive for a mundane criminal (Rather than stopping the generic cookie-cutter cultists from summoning Dread Cthulhu; they are stuck investigating a locked-room murder on a train that experienced mechanical difficulties and must find the killers before they disappear into the crowd). 

...That's my 2-cents, at least.

#14 andreroy

andreroy

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

Interesting choice. I usually start with clues/murder(s)/motives first, maps/NPCs/story second, and then I move onto Mythos times and the other stuff. Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing half the time and wing it after a specific point in plot; it usually turns out okay, but its results are often...undesirable for me as a KP.

Yeah, I know. Once I have my "seed" for the scenario, I find it easier to figure out who is the opposition (and the key helpers/NPC) and work backward from there...adding elements and clues as I go. That's my way of ensuring there's no loose threads leading nowhere (other than the ones I purposely add as red herrings or diverging points).

#15 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, I know. Once I have my "seed" for the scenario, I find it easier to figure out who is the opposition (and the key helpers/NPC) and work backward from there...adding elements and clues as I go. That's my way of ensuring there's no loose threads leading nowhere (other than the ones I purposely add as red herrings or diverging points).

Agreed. KP should always be as in-control as possible (wth avoiding railroads as the first priority whilst doing that, that is).

#16 HJ

HJ

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationMaidenhead, UK

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

Well done for writing a scenario.

Scenario writing is very personal, so find a style that works for you from the great suggestions above. 

An important part of the process is playing devil's advocate with yourself. Why are the PCs here? Why aren't they legging it to the hills? What are the PC team like - full bore action \ investigative? (adapt the scenario appropriately)

Write as many scenarios as you can. Some won't work, some only bits will work, but the more you do, the easier it becomes.

Anything can be inspirational for scenario seeds, I'm currently finishing off a scenario set in Walmington on Sea and I've plundered a certain u-boat episode shamelessly.

HJ

#17 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for the advice, HJ. I needed it. :)

#18 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:35 AM

Take a look at Stealing Cthulhu for ideas about using HPL stories as inspiration. The suggestions can be generally employed for any literary conversions, I think.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#19 HelplessBystander

HelplessBystander

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDreamlands

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:07 AM

Stealing Cthulhu is a great book. Just not really my style.

#20 carpocratian

carpocratian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:06 AM

I create a sandbox environment for a particular time and area, seed it with different characters, secrets, and things going on, and then improv a lot as the players move around and choose what to do.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 1-6e