1 reply to this topic

#1 Balbinus

Balbinus

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

Hi all,

The PCs in my game will shortly be travelling by Orient Express Paris to Constantinople. The year is late 1894. They'll need to take the ferry to France then an internal train I understand, and can catch the Orient Express from Paris through to Constantinople.

I'm not running Horror on ... as a campaign incidentally, it's actually the best route for what they're setting out to do.

The thing is, I can't find anywhere how long it actually takes. I own the original box set of Horror on but it's set in the 1920s (and anyway isn't very clear on that point, partly as it assumes the PCs get off a lot). 

So, does anyone have any clue what the journey time is from Paris to Constantinople on the Orient Express in this period?

Also, Horror suggests there were second class berths for servants. I had thought in the 1890s the OE was first class only. Anyone know?

Thanks!

#2 Balbinus

Balbinus

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

I should add, the route in this period was:Paris - Strasbourg - Munich - Vienna - Budapest - Bucharest - Istanbul.

I've found the answer on an actual real life poster from the time!

You depart Paris at 7.30pm on the Wednesday, arrive in Vienna on Thursday at 10.15pm, Budapest on Friday at 5.25am, Belgrade at 12.32pm on Friday, and arrive finally in Constantinople at 6.40pm on the Saturday!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gaslight