• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sdoughm821

sdoughm821

Neophyte

• Patron Premium
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:52 AM

I have been considering going to a convention like Necronomicon, but live in the Midwest USA. Any tips? I am planning on becoming a patron of Yog-sothoth, by the way, soon as my paycheck comes in next Friday. Speaking of which, how does paying in pounds work when you live in the US and your accounts are all in dollars? I feel like it is a dumb question, one that might be answerable via Google, but that there might be something else (tips, tricks) to know. There always seems to be with financial things like writing checks. Anyone know?

#2 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:56 AM

We went to NeconomiCon 2015 and because it was a fair way to travel (over 3,000 miles) we made it a bit more of a holiday by adding a few days on either side to see other sights on the east coast (e.g. New York, Philadelphia). At most big conventions there's a lot of "pre-con" buzz and anticipation a day or two before the event (which is why some people turn up a day or two early), but after the official event finishes it tends to go fairly quiet quite quickly as people often make their way home as soon as possible afterwards.

In essence we tend to make it a bit more of a holiday if having to travel far to a big ticket event and we also do a lot of research and planning on what to expect.

Regarding currency conversions - PayPal does it for you automatically.

#3 sdoughm821

sdoughm821

Neophyte

• Patron Premium
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the advice. As a side note, I know my bank account charges extra for currency conversions, but PayPal may circumvent that. I will just have to see, I suppose. Once again, thank you.

#4 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

So are you looking for gaming conventions or Lovecraft-specific conventions?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Convention