Photo
- - - - -

English Translations of Pegasus Press (German) Supplements?

Publisher

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sasori

sasori

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

As the title suggests, I would love to know if there are any English translations of the Pegasus Press books around. Specifically those that were only published in German?

I'm particularly interested in this one:

http://www.yog-sotho...luch_(Kampagne)

If not, is this a licensing issue?

#2 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

As the title suggests, I would love to know if there are any English translations of the Pegasus Press books around. Specifically those that were only published in German?

I'm particularly interested in this one:
http://www.yog-sotho...luch_(Kampagne)

You linked to the English original of 'Curse'. Was that intentional?
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#3 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

Stuff like Wales or Berlin has never been translated, unfortunately.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#4 andreroy

andreroy

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

To my knowledge only articles from their magazine Cthuloide Welten (Worlds of Cthulhu) and Cathulhu were translated into English.

However I know that some of their books have been translated into the French (6e edition)...specifically: Terra Cthuliana (very hard to get), Dementophobia (fairly easy to get), Necronomicon (very hard to get).

#5 Black-Seal-Editor

Black-Seal-Editor

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Speaking as the former editor of Worlds of Cthulhu, yes it was, back in the day. Only Chaosium could publish foreign licensee Pegasus Spiel's original German language material in English. That was back in the 2000s. What the situation is under new Chaosium I know nothing of.

There is also a financial disincentive to publish foreign language material in English if the original game is in English - the material has to be translated and edited, the original author or publisher and the translator have to be paid making foreign material more expensive than original English language material. Plus there is a pool of material already in English that the foreign material has to compete against.

Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief
Sixtystone Press Limited

#6 sasori

sasori

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

You linked to the English original of 'Curse'. Was that intentional?

Sorry, fixed that!

Speaking as the former editor of Worlds of Cthulhu, yes it was, back in the day. Only Chaosium could publish foreign licensee Pegasus Spiel's original German language material in English. That was back in the 2000s. What the situation is under new Chaosium I know nothing of.

There is also a financial disincentive to publish foreign language material in English if the original game is in English - the material has to be translated and edited, the original author or publisher and the translator have to be paid making foreign material more expensive than original English language material. Plus there is a pool of material already in English that the foreign material has to compete against.

Yeah, that's what I figured, but thought I would ask anyway! 

Edited by sasori, 11 September 2017 - 02:41 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Publisher