#1 JS113

JS113

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

Newish game publisher New Comet Games has a license for a new CoC adventure set in Massachusetts swamps, 1920s.

They have a preview of their Kickstarter page up for comment, I think the cover art looks great! I like the standing stone ritual art too.

The 30 day KS starts on Tuesday 9/12.

Here's the page to review:

https://www.kickstar...&token=4b919871

Is $5000 about average for this sort of project?

#2 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:33 PM

New Comet Games was previously known as Dark Cult Games, who published The Star on the Shore.

Pookie did a review of The Star on the Shore a couple of months ago.

#3 JS113

JS113

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

ah they mentioned that they had published it, didn't realize they had changed names!

#4 andreroy

andreroy

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:41 PM

I loved the Star on the Shore, it's a great adventure in a rarely seen location.

I'm definitely going to back them again.

#5 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC Australia

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

I loved the Star on the Shore, it's a great adventure in a rarely seen location.

I'm definitely going to back them again.

As noted, "New Comet" is Ben Burn's "Dark Cult Games" rebadged. I don't know the reasons for the name change - maybe they are looking at branching out into other games/genres where the name "Dark Cult" would be disconcerting - but from a licensing perspective, Ben Burns has performed admirably, delivering The Star on the Shore Kickstarter in a very timely fashion, with a production quality that is top notch. 

MOB (who looks after licensing at Chaosium)

#6 JS113

JS113

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:29 PM

I saw they also made a successful Kickstarter in June for Monster Trap: A Kid's Game for the Whole Family, so the rebranding isn't too illogical!

#7 andreroy

andreroy

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:35 PM

As noted, "New Comet" is Ben Burn's "Dark Cult Games" rebadged. I don't know the reasons for the name change - maybe they are looking at branching out into other games/genres where the name "Dark Cult" would be disconcerting - but from a licensing perspective, Ben Burns has performed admirably, delivering The Star on the Shore Kickstarter in a very timely fashion, with a production quality that is top notch. 

MOB (who looks after licensing at Chaosium)

Oh I know, I was quite happy about both the timeliness, quality of the product and the communications. And the Dark Haunting tie-in is great.

#8 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:15 AM

...maybe they are looking at branching out into other games/genres where the name "Dark Cult" would be disconcerting.

That's the reason given.

#9 gabrielconnor

gabrielconnor

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

Not gonna back this one up because I was disappointed by the quality of Star on the shore, both in production (the art, apart from the cover was bad) and as an adventure.

The handouts are bland, the scenario needs major reworking as it has plot holes any seasoned rpg players will spot in a second. I had to spend a considerable amount of time to make this work for my group and that defeats the purpose of getting a ready to play scenario.

#10 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

The likelihood is that I will back it. That way I can get hold of a copy to review it.

Of course, I will hold judgement until I see it, but I hope that I will have cause not to read and review it the same day as I got it as I did with The Star on the Shore.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#11 JS113

JS113

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

Launched about 2 hours ago. Already at 50%!

https://www.kickstar...u-rpg-adventure

-------
Made funding goal in 5 hours??? Glad to see there's such a big audience. Hope we keep getting more great adventures from others.

#12 numtini

numtini

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCape Schrod, Massachusetts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

I backed it. I was in the middle on Star, but they seemed to have been very responsive and I suspect this will be better for the criticism. I'm also a "small local horror" type of Lovecraftian, so their stuff is really up my alley.

#13 crazykane

crazykane

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:09 PM

I backed also.

While Star on the Shore was in no way "Return to Dunwich" it did try hard to follow in those steps/that direction.

And that alone makes me a fan!

+as a GM doing it since the late 80s, getting a semi-half-baked plotline, some nice maps and original (but sometimes a bit too awkward...) NPCs ideas is quite enough for me to manage a fun game down the road.

As a bonus, I'm learning all kind of nice lore about the "Bridgewater Triangle"!!

https://roadtrippers.../trips/15922081

http://www.atlasobsc...ermuda-triangle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser