2 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:17 AM

I am looking for information about a 1920s scenario called "An Experiment in Time" (or "Experiment in Time") that is mentioned in the scenario "The Horror on Haldon Hill" privately published by Renegames in 1998, and is currently available through the files section of Yog-Sothoth.com. The only details of the scenario available aside from the title is that the villain was named "Brewster". As to the two references in "The Horror on Haldon Hill", the first states that if the two scenarios are used together a particular letter in "Brewster's" office can serve as a perfect hook for "The Horror on Haldon Hill" and the second states that if the two scenarios are being used together then all references to one particular NPC should be changed to "Brewster".

I PMed Paul about this and he said he had no information, so I thought I would throw it open to the community, it would be really nice if a copy could be turned up, as there are a lot of ephemeral scenarios out there that have neither been detailed in the wiki or preserved in digital form.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#2 DrMonster

DrMonster

Master

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:36 AM

According to Wikipedia, An Experiment With Time was a 1927 book by J.W. Dunne on the cause and meaning of precognitive dreams, which certainly sounds like a Lovecraftian theme. Dunne's theories are said to have influenced several fantasy authors but the article didn't mention Lovecraft.

I searched four or five different ways for the scenario in question but could find no mention of it online. I couldn't even find Renegames. Sorry. The theme of seeing one's future in dreams sounds like it could make an eerie adventure.

#3 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:34 AM

Thank you for that suggestion, but there is too little information in "The Horror on Haldon Hill" to tell if the scenario was based on Dunne's work. From those two referrences you get the impression that 'Brewster' is a dabbler in the Mythos, who knows just enough to be dangergous but not enough to leave well alone.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 1-6e