• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sal

Sal

Neophyte

• 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

Hi!

As the title, I'm after a Cyberpunk setting and scenario.

I'm not sure there currently is anything though. Have I completely missed something?

If not, who do I have to bribe to write and publish this?

Things I'm aware of:

Cthulhu Rising / Once Men etc - More Sci-Fi than Cyberpunk
GURPS Cthulhupunk - Wrong system and I don't think it has a scenario in it?
Punktown - A Kickstarter that kind of fit the bill but I'm not sure it ever delivered
Yellow Dawn - I don't believe the 3rd edition (which would have been for 7th ed CoC) was published before the authors unfortunate passing away
Cyberpunk 2020 conversion rules - Kinda cool, but no scenario
Cthulhu Dark scenario Consume - Again, wrong system but currently the closest thing I can find.

CthulhuTech - Wrong system, but getting warm in terms of setting.

Edited by Sal, 24 August 2017 - 02:37 PM.

#2 johnmcfloss

johnmcfloss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationCardiff, UK

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

I'm not sure about the status of the Punktown RPG, but it's based on an entire run of fiction. I've only read Deadstock (which I enjoyed a great deal, in part because I didn't realise it's Mythos connection until the reveal). Wikipedia suggests there's 11-odd other books in the setting.

The Dark Future setting (https://en.wikipedia...iki/Dark_Future) also owes a lot of it's metaplot to the Cthulhu Mythos - the fiction line namedrops an awful lot of Great Old Ones (along with Warhammer Chaos Gods and Real-World Occult terms), and the antagonist is arguably an avatar of Nyarlethotep. They're also written by Kim Newman as Jack Yeovil, and some of my favourite pulp-cyberpunk fiction.

Neither of these have (afaik) any ready-to-go scenarios, but the storylines from the books should be liftable with relatively little alteration

#3 Sal

Sal

Neophyte

• 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

I'll check those out thanks!

Main reason I'm looking for a scenario is that writing scenarios, even with an established plot from a story, is definitely not my best skill.

Not something I really have the time for either unfortunately.

#4 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

The first mention of Delta Green in The Unspeakable Oath #7 ('Convergence') is accompanied by a one-page article ('CyberCthulhu') outlining the relationship between DG and cyberpunk. Given that Gibson's writing just-plain-novels now, I suggest you take a look at the Delta Green RPG

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#5 Bishop

Bishop

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

Cyberpunk 2020.  IANUS Publications, now Dream Pod 9, put out a series of books adding horror to the game. The main focus was vampires, but there were lots of other things added, as well as rules to go with it.  Many of the books had scenarios in them along with adventure seeds. I believe it started with the book Nights Edge and expanded from there.  It has been a while since I read any of the books, so your mileage may vary on how much can be massaged for CoC.  All the books are out of print, but some can be found at Noble Knight and all the pdfs are on DrivethruRPG

There is also the anthology Eldritch Chrome that can be plundered for ideas.

Edited by Bishop, 24 August 2017 - 04:56 PM.

-iicf

#6 DAR

DAR

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

There was an old fanzine called Interface for CP2020 that an issue (Vol2/#2 I think) that had rules for blending Call of Cthulhu (and converting the Chaosium game over) as well as a couple of short scenarios and a handful of Cthulhu-inspired cybertech. The three I can recall were a tentacle cyberarm, a mouth-cyberhand, and a ElderEye Cyberoptic that let you see the Unseen.

D.

#7 Sal

Sal

Neophyte

• 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

The Unspeakable Oath #7 ('Convergence')

I'll try and hunt it down, thanks!

Cyberpunk 2020, Nights Edge, Eldritch Chrome

Eldritch Chrome is one of the reasons I want this! I'll try and look up Nights Edge.

There was an old fanzine called Interface for CP2020 that an issue (Vol2/#2 I think) that had rules for blending Call of Cthulhu (and converting the Chaosium game over) as well as a couple of short scenarios and a handful of Cthulhu-inspired cybertech. The three I can recall were a tentacle cyberarm, a mouth-cyberhand, and a ElderEye Cyberoptic that let you see the Unseen.

This is what I was referring to as "Cyberpunk 2020 conversion rules" in my op, but I didn't realise there was a scenario in there?! I'll have to try and find that, thank you!

#8 Bishop

Bishop

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

I'll try and hunt it down, thanks!

Eldritch Chrome is one of the reasons I want this! I'll try and look up Nights Edge.

This is what I was referring to as "Cyberpunk 2020 conversion rules" in my op, but I didn't realise there was a scenario in there?! I'll have to try and find that, thank you!

I think Nights Edge is mainly vampires.  But Dark Metropolis and Grimm's Cybertales have more expanded content.  Again, it's been a while, so I may be remembering wrong.

-iicf

#9 rimren

rimren

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

There is also the anthology Eldritch Chrome that can be plundered for ideas.

There is also Phyl-Undhu. Cyberpunk to BRP conversion is available here.

#10 Oncorhyncus

Oncorhyncus

Master

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:09 AM

I would be tempted to make the mythos something that only exists in the online world.  A risk for those who surf but nonsnse to anyone who doesn't.  Eliminate the world -threatening aspect of these beings (since they only threaten virtual worlds) and make them purely personal threats since experiencing them still carries the same costs.

#11 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

I believe the old White Wolf "Werewolf: The Apocalypse" RPG and its adventures/scenarios were their own unique 10-minutes-into-the-future animal, but one that skirted very close to the Cyberpunk genre in spirit - perhaps a sort of pre-Cyberpunk setting.

The D20 Call of Cthulhu was set more in the modern era than the near future, but I think any of the included scenarios could have been easy to adapt to cyberpunk, and the D20 system would have been easy to mix-and-match with any D20 Cyberpunk materials.

The BRP source book contains enough material for an inventive writer to build a BRP add-on for Call of Cthulhu; no scenarios.

As a 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu Kickstarter supporter, I (eventually) got a number of supporting materials for the 7th Edition game, including a PDF booklet of adaptations of Call of Cthulhu into other settings, including two future settings, one a sci-fi/horror setting, and the other a post-apocalyptic setting.  Neither are quire full-blooded Cyberpunk settings by themselves, but could, perhaps, be adapted to one with minimal trouble.  Both of these were fairly sketchy, and might not have included a full-blown setting, let alone a scenario.

The old BRP CoC End Time monograph works in a similar post-apocalyptic spirit.  Again, not quite full-fledged Cyberpunk setting, but not too far off in spirit (remembering that films like Alien, Total Recall, and Outland took place in what was effectively a Cyberpunk setting might make it easier to make the leap from this space-based post-apocalyptic setting and Cyberpunk....)

I have a feeling a few classic CoC scenarios would be easy to convert into Cyberpunk scenarios.  For example, take the ever-adaptable "The Haunting": a corporation hires investigators to "sanitize" a "legacy virtual reality asset acquired in a recent merger" for public consumption, one in which a handful of company engineers and hackers have disappeared, died, or gone mad; the virtual reality space might (as an expedient) resemble an old dark house in the woods, but could look like pretty much anything that you like (virtual reality being what it is).  The investigators' research before entering the virtual world and what they find after entering it reveal that the eccentric developer, long vanished, had been delving into some sinister things while programming the virtual environment, and the investigators are not alone in there....  for any Keeper familiar with both Cyberpunk and Weird horror, the conversion would take little more than the re-writing of some fluff descriptions, and maybe a little time spent in adapting some character sheets....

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#12 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Fractal Gods from The Stars are Right might give you some ideas. It's a bit outdated - floppy disks and BBS', but provides an interesting take on 1980's tech. I updated it a bit, set it in the UK and stirred in a bit of The Laundry.

#13 johnmcfloss

johnmcfloss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationCardiff, UK

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

I believe the old White Wolf "Werewolf: The Apocalypse" RPG and its adventures/scenarios were their own unique 10-minutes-into-the-future animal, but one that skirted very close to the Cyberpunk genre in spirit - perhaps a sort of pre-Cyberpunk setting.

If you're going to pull from WoD for setting, I'd be more tempted to look into Mage - the Virtual Adepts were Reality Hackers (and the Technocracy are all about Cyberware), and there were vaguely eldritch Aliens kicking around (they turned up briefly at the very beginning, then again at the very end), but I suspect the amount you'd need to strip out of any World of Darkness scenario to make it work outside the setting, would be as much effort as writing one of your own!

What about Deadlands: Hell on Earth? While their Unfathomable Big Bads don't mesh too well with Lovecraft, the standard-issue adventure doesn't tend to work on a scale that actively involves them. It's a setting that owes more to Mad Max than Neuromancer, though.

#14 Sal

Sal

Neophyte

• 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

Looks like PunkTown might actually be out soon, which will solve many of my issues!

https://www.chaosium...own-kickstarter

#15 ThisOldWoodenShip

ThisOldWoodenShip

Master

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationChina

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:04 AM

I'm looking at the .pdf right now and there are in fact two scenarios in it.  The first one leans more towards the Cyberpunk side, the second more toward the CoC side, and both seem fairly expansive/well written.  The entire magazine is dedicated to crossover information.

I don't know if it's kosher to say "I'll share it with you" on here as this is literally my first post, but as the magazine is OOP and more than 25 years old hopefully no one will jump down my throat for it.

Just curious, why do you say writing scenarios is not your strong suit?  I def agree that it takes a lot of time, but as there are a finite number of pre-written scenarios, particularly for this type of crossover setting, perhaps suggesting some materials to help you better write scenarios on your own would also be helpful?

#16 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,399 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

I don't know if it's kosher to say "I'll share it with you" on here as this is literally my first post, but as the magazine is OOP and more than 25 years old hopefully no one will jump down my throat for it.

Sorry, sharing copyrighted material without permission is against site terms.

#17 ThisOldWoodenShip

ThisOldWoodenShip

Master

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationChina

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

Sorry, sharing copyrighted material without permission is against site terms.

My bad, terribly sorry.  Won't happen again.

#18 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,399 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

No problem!

I have fond memories of playing the original Cyberpunk back in the day (printed on strange, almost newspaper-like ink). I am glad to hear that there looks to be movement on the Punktown RPG.

#19 Sal

Sal

Neophyte

• 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

Just curious, why do you say writing scenarios is not your strong suit? 

"I've never given it a go before, and will I don't feel like it's the kind of thing I would take naturally to, but certainly could practice" is probably more accurate.

Don't really have time to dedicate to it at the moment, is all!

#20 Adam

Adam

Neophyte

• Patron+
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWigan

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

These should hopefully cover exactly what you want. 

Interface 1940 by Modiphius. On sale at the moment to Boot!

A variant, Mythos-Fuelled history for the Interface Zero 2.0: Full Metal Cyberpunk setting, where ancient gods watch your every move from the shadows of the datastream  New rules on how to include cyberware, Gruesome genetic manipulations, and even weirder science in your Achtung! Cthulhu games. A 33 page adventure, set in 1941, that can be played by characters from either World War Two or the Far Future. In fact, a whole Crossover dossier's worth of useful Alternate Historical and fantastical information to help you expand your campaign out into the wider world of the Secret War.  Fully compatible with both Call of Cthulhu Sixth edition and Savage Worlds role playing games

If you are looking for more robot like Secrets of Dust also works well also on sale.

A crossing over of the mythos-engaged Achtung! Cthulhu world with the enhanced technology and altered history of the mythos free Dust universe. New rules on how to include VK enhanced armour, weapons and walkers from the Dust universe in your Achtung! Cthulhu games. Two adventures, one set in the dreamlands and the other in an alternative timeline of our earth that can be played by characters from either World War 2 or from the Dust universe. In fact, a whole crossover dossier’s worth of useful alternate historical and fantastical information to help you expand your campaign into the wider dimensions of the Secret War. Fully compatible with both Call of Cthulhu Sixth edition and Savage Worlds role playing games

I was thinking of doing some review on here for a new blog maybe this thread will give me some inspiration!

Hope these help!

Edited by Adam, 05 September 2017 - 10:09 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 7e, CoC 1-6e