• 139 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC Australia

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:46 PM

Keeper's Guide

Page 161   

Entry 79

Personamania: Compulsion to wear masks

See? the guy's just confused 

I've recently discovered Masks of Nyarlathotep is being updated for the 7th edition. Will it be kickstarted, will it be released in hardcopy, and do we have an ETA?

Thanks all.

Won't be Kickstarted, will be in hard copy, ETA is Q1 next year.

These links will bring you up to speed:

Masks of Nyarlathotep - Fantasy Flight's newest expansion for Eldritch Horror is based on the classic Call of Cthulhu campaign

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Masks of Nyarlathotep to feature an all-new chapter: Peru!

A new edition of Masks of Nyarlathotep for Call of Cthulhu

We will also have another update about the project later in the week.

#62 Professor

Professor

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:04 PM

Brilliant.

Thank you.

#63 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

Here's the new Masks update from Mike Mason:

https://www.chaosium...lyle-expedition

#64 willmize

willmize

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

I would love, love love it if there were some tips and tricks in the new Edition how to run it as Pulp C'thulhu, because that's exactly what I plan on doing.

My credit card is at the ready!

- Bill

#65 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

I would love, love love it if there were some tips and tricks in the new Edition how to run it as Pulp C'thulhu, because that's exactly what I plan on doing.

My credit card is at the ready!

- Bill

This is exactly the case from what I've read. Running the anniversary hardcover edition with light Pulp rules myself right now. Dancing like a kid who has to pee in anticipation of the 7e PDF. Might have to do a "Flashback" session for the Peru chapter. ;)

#66 numtini

numtini

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCape Schrod, Massachusetts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

Two books? I guess it IS going to be expanded! Looking forward to this.

#67 gabrielconnor

gabrielconnor

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

Stop teasing us already and take our money!!!

Seriously though this edition looks like it's gonna be amazing! I can't wait! I really hope that the PDF will still make it for a 2017 release. I can't stall my players any longer!

#68 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,414 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

It will be interesting to see the price point for the print edition. As a two-volume set there would be a logic to having it in a slipcase (since you need both parts as one).

For a possible comparison the Call of Cthulhu 7e slipcased set is currently £98.

#69 willmize

willmize

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

It will be interesting to see the price point for the print edition. As a two-volume set there would be a logic to having it in a slipcase (since you need both parts as one).

For a possible comparison the Call of Cthulhu 7e slipcased set is currently £98.

Very interesting point, indeed.

My assumption is that page count is connected to price point, but I may be a fool for believing that.

The current cost for the US slipcase edition is $130, not including tax, and shipping.

The Investigator's Handbook is 288 pages.

The Keeper Rulebook is 448 pages, for a total of 736 pages, or  about 17.6 cents per page.

My copy of Masks (23118) is 248 pages.

Let's say they double that in the two volumes, which would be an astounding 496 pages.

Doing the magical math 496 pages times 17.6 cents equals $87.30.

I would totally pay that for the above, without even blinking.

For wonky comparison, the Masks Companion rang in at about 610 pages.

- Bill

#70 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

This looks fantastic

#71 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

The campaign is written for Call of Cthulhu but running within the text in handy call outs are Pulp Cthulhu revisions/adaptations, so you can run with either. In fact, for Call games, you can use the Pulp call outs as added advice for ways to handle situations differently, thus inbuilt are differing ways to handle certain events and scenes - allowing you to use as is or be inspired to riff on the ideas.

Wouldn't it just be lovely, two hard back books in full color, held within a slipcase. We shall have to see what Santa Great Cthulhu brings...

Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

#72 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

Wouldn't it just be lovely, two hard back books in full color, held within a slipcase.

Attached Thumbnails

• yussssss.jpg

#73 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

I must say this is tremendously good news -- Masks has always been far and away my favorite campaign, though Chaosium has produced so many excellent products!  Updating it to 7th, adding in the call-outs, and providing player advice sounds like completely setting a new (and very high) standard for RPG campaigns!  I'm also seriously hoping for a "prop" update as well!

I can only hope that a completely revamped Shadows of Yog Sothoth and and updated Beyond the Mountains of Madness will soon follow!  (And maybe an updated Brotherhood of the Beast too?)  It would be really nice to see some of those older campaigns updated to the new format and with Pulp call-outs and player advice in them too.  Maybe Masks would merely become "one of many," instead of unique...

#74 unraveler

unraveler

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:12 AM

I would like to know: Is there's gonna be a special offer for buying both the books and Eldritch Horror's expansion together?

#75 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

I would like to know: Is there's gonna be a special offer for buying both the books and Eldritch Horror's expansion together?

They will be released around the same time (Q1 next year) but there are no plans for a bundle per se.

I can only hope that a completely revamped Shadows of Yog Sothoth and and updated Beyond the Mountains of Madness will soon follow! (And maybe an updated Brotherhood of the Beast too?) It would be really nice to see some of those older campaigns updated to the new format and with Pulp call-outs and player advice in them too. Maybe Masks would merely become "one of many," instead of unique...

Masks is but the first: we are looking at re-releasing other classic campaigns too over the next several years.

#76 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

Masks is but the first: we are looking at re-releasing other classic campaigns too over the next several years.

That is wonderful news!  I can hardly wait to see what you guys do with them!

#77 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,414 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Slipcase confirmed, but no price given yet.

#78 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,414 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

My copy of Masks (23118) is 248 pages.
Let's say they double that in the two volumes, which would be an astounding 496 pages.

Virtually spot on in page guess. The new edition of Masks is due to be a little over 500 pages in length.

#79 numtini

numtini

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCape Schrod, Massachusetts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

Virtually spot on in page guess. The new edition of Masks is due to be a little over 500 pages in length.

And if previous supplements have been any indicator, more dense in type. This will be interesting!

#80 willmize

willmize

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

And if previous supplements have been any indicator, more dense in type. This will be interesting!

That's really my ONLY gripe about current 7th Edition books, the difficulty in reading text over art.
Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth (Editions 1-6) it was black on white, no worries.  
Now that my eyes are older, it's harder to make it out unless there's really a great deal of contrast between the text and the art.

My deepest wish would be for them to do what they did with 7th Edition Keepers and Investigators, and issue as ePub.

That would be wonderful!

- Bill

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Publisher, Pulp, Jazz Age, Press Release, CoC 7e