#41 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC Australia

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:13 AM

The lastest Chaosium newsletter (Ab Chaos #54) has some more information on the new edition of Masks...

Just posted the same details here too, with some of the new art:

https://www.chaosium...ew-chapter-peru

#42 V0rtex

V0rtex

Neophyte

• Old Patron
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:06 AM

It also explains why they cancelled the licence for [No personal attacks please. ~Mod.] Ben Patey...

#43 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:04 AM

It also explains why they cancelled the licence for [No personal attacks please. ~Mod.] Ben Patey...

We cancelled Patey's license last October because he never paid the royalties he owed to Chaosium, or responded to any of our messages for more than a year.

#44 ravenloft08

ravenloft08

Neophyte

• 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

I'm hoping that Chaosium will use the same approach to Masks as they did to Pulp Cthulhu: If the pdf is released this year, then the funds spent to buy the pdf can be used to offset the cost of the physical book when it is released next year. I am usually one of those people who hmms-and-haaahs about my gaming purchases, but, that business model (purchasing plan? marketing plan? whatever ...) made me pull the trigger immediately on Pulp Cthulhu ... I expect I'll do the same the if an updated Masks is released in the same way.

#45 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

This seems to be standard practice by Chaosium. They've done this with all of the recent 7th Ed releases.

Edited by AdamAlexander, 29 August 2017 - 06:12 PM.

#46 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

This seems to be standard practice by Chaosium. They've done this with all of the recent 7th Ed releases.

Yes, we're doing this for all new releases at Chaosium.com. You get the full price of the PDF off the cost of the physical book when it becomes available. 

#47 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

Well, sign me up too!  I liked the way it worked with The Two-Headed Serpent, and The Grand Grimoire!

Will definitely be looking for the announcement that it's available for order.

#48 Dr_Zarnak

Dr_Zarnak

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:17 AM

Fantastic news, though I would have preferred an update/revision of one of the other campaigns - Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, or Day of the Beast.

#49 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

Fantastic news, though I would have preferred an update/revision of one of the other campaigns - Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, or Day of the Beast.

Such will probably happen in due course, also BMM and Dreamlands. But there will be plenty of brand new, original Call of Cthulhu releases coming out as well.

#50 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

Any chance of a modern campaign?

#51 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

Any chance of a modern campaign?

Of course. Bear with us.

Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

#52 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:35 PM

Thanks, Mike. I'm patient.

#53 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

Yes, we're doing this for all new releases at Chaosium.com. You get the full price of the PDF off the cost of the physical book when it becomes available. 

Just wanted to chime in and say thank you for doing this. It is one of the most 'respectful-toward-patrons' business models I've come across in this miserable life and I truly appreciate it.

#54 Cangarwbach

Cangarwbach

Neophyte

• 3 posts
  • LocationShrewsbury, UK

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:09 AM

Crystal ball time and possible sanity check. When 2018 release date is stated, anybody care to hazard a stab on likely timeframe?

I've got very slightly mixed feelings about new material in MoN. I was heavily into MoNC, and really love the kick-off prequel of Walter Kimble in Yucatan. Hoping to find it possible to add both this, and the South American prequel to my Masks campaign without suspending the disbelief of my gaming mates. (I was going to start MoN this month, but back on the backburner for obvious reasons).

Really love Pulp Cthulhu and the sliding scale of Pulp it offers. 7th Ed MoN +/- pulp will be perfect. Now, for railroading my eventual characters between London and Cairo - hmmm, that Orient Express looks enticing...... My next post will be in 2039.

#55 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

At The Kraken the Chaosium team said that a release was likely in conjunction with FFG's release of their game so around March timeframe.

Looks like Chaosium are making a lot of use of synchronous release of their IP in multiple formats to ensure widespread market penetration. Expect to see some tablet/phone games based on the Mythos and on Glorantha in the future.

As part of their licensing agreements Chaosium are also using a lot of the  art produced for non RPG games to enhance their print products. I saw a lot of art for the new Runequest that featured a French artist that IIRC had done material for the French versions of Chaosium IP

#56 Cangarwbach

Cangarwbach

Neophyte

• 3 posts
  • LocationShrewsbury, UK

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

At The Kraken the Chaosium team said that a release was likely in conjunction with FFG's release of their game so around March timeframe.

Looks like Chaosium are making a lot of use of synchronous release of their IP in multiple formats to ensure widespread market penetration. Expect to see some tablet/phone games based on the Mythos and on Glorantha in the future.

As part of their licensing agreements Chaosium are also using a lot of the  art produced for non RPG games to enhance their print products. I saw a lot of art for the new Runequest that featured a French artist that IIRC had done material for the French versions of Chaosium IP

So, the suggestion of March 2018 (which I'd never hold anyone to) is for PDF or hard copy; or both?

#57 BagelsForByatis

BagelsForByatis

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:43 AM

>in conjunction with FFG's release of their game so around March timeframe.

Sorry which FFG game would this be?

#58 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Sorry which FFG game would this be?

An expansion for their Eldritch Horror game:

https://www.fantasyf...s-nyarlathotep/

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#59 Professor

Professor

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

Keeper's Guide

Page 161   

Entry 79

Personamania: Compulsion to wear masks

See? the guy's just confused 

I've recently discovered Masks of Nyarlathotep is being updated for the 7th edition. Will it be kickstarted, will it be released in hardcopy, and do we have an ETA?

Thanks all.

Edited by Professor, 26 November 2017 - 12:17 PM.

#60 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

Threads merged.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Publisher, Pulp, Jazz Age, Press Release, CoC 7e