#22 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Oh god-DAMMIT! I *just* started running Masks a few weeks ago and now I wish I'd hopped on the Orient Express instead so I could have waited!

#23 Mad7eo

Mad7eo

Master

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMilan, Italy

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

Can't wait to play it in 2050, when I'll finish Horror on the Orient Express :D

#24 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

(also, I mean, I'll freakin' buy the dang thing anyway of course and am really impressed with this newly-lit fire under Chaosium's bottom!)

#25 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,290 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

Apparently this won't be a Kickstarter but a normal product item. I also see the cover has been revealed by Chaosium.

Secret Shoggoth XII

Yoggie's Annual Festive Mystery Gift Exchange

#26 CthulhuBob

CthulhuBob

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMissoula, Montana

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:00 AM

How will this affect the usefulness of the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion?

Iä!
MisCon 31, 26th-29th of May, 2017
www.miscon.org

#27 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:19 AM

The OP addresses that question.
Currently recording Beyond the Mountains of Madness 2e with Trail of Cthulhu.
http://mountainsofmadness.org

#28 CthulhuBob

CthulhuBob

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMissoula, Montana

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:04 AM

Thanks, man.

Iä!
MisCon 31, 26th-29th of May, 2017
www.miscon.org

#29 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

<dashes into phone booth, emerges as Librarian Man>

MikeM posted in early July that down the line it would be getting a revamp, as part of the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion Kickstarter now live! thread:

http://www.yog-sotho...-35#entry330450

Steve

Man.  I'd completely forgotten that exchange! 

#30 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC Australia

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

Apparently this won't be a Kickstarter but a normal product item. I also see the cover has been revealed by Chaosium.

We won't be Kickstarting any releases in the Call of Cthulhu line going forward (or RuneQuest either).

We still might use Kickstarter for special projects, and for our boardgames line. Our new Miskatonic U boardgame, for example.

MOB - Chaosium Inc.

#31 Galbraith

Galbraith

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

We won't be Kickstarting any releases in the Call of Cthulhu line going forward (or RuneQuest either).

We still might use Kickstarter for special projects, and for our boardgames line. Our new Miskatonic U boardgame, for example.

MOB - Chaosium Inc.

That's really good to hear! It's great to see Chaosium in a place where they feel comfortable launching big products normally, without getting money upfront.

#32 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,290 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:05 AM

Rumour suggests that the PDF version might be out before the end of this year (words written, currently in art and layout), which means the print edition could be available by March/April. Again, rumour at this point.

Secret Shoggoth XII

#33 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

That would be totally amazing, if true.  (Alas, I've been conditioned by things like the announcement of Pulp Cthulhu sometime back in the '90s with final delivery in 2016, to remain somewhat skeptical. :)  )

However, I will say that I think their reluctance to go Kickstarter is a wise decision; if they've already got it well in hand, Kickstarter would be a whole lot of trouble for not much benefit for them.  I also know that when this DOES finally come out, it will be superb work!

Edited by jlynn, 23 August 2017 - 08:12 AM.

#34 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

I am glad to hear that this product will not be subject to a Kickstarter, there have been too many cases of people focusing on the gee-gaws in the stretch goals to the detriment of the product the money is supposedly being raised for. The state of affairs revealed in Pookies review of "The Star On The Shore" is a classic recent example of this

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#35 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

Rumour suggests that the PDF version might be out before the end of this year (words written, currently in art and layout), which means the print edition could be available by March/April. Again, rumour at this point.

Oh man, that would be great. I'd surely be able to shoehorn some of the new material into our current MoN campaign!

#36 ContentsMayVary

ContentsMayVary

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

It certainly would be - I know what I'll be doing over Christmas if this comes out as a PDF in time. :-P

#37 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,290 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

To mark a brand new edition of Masks of Nyarlathotep on the way, we're releasing the YSDC recording of the original campaign...

Free,
For everyone,
Forever.

New York — January 1925. Maddy receives a telegram from an old friend, prompting our heroes to look into the mystery of the ill-fated Carlyle Expedition. After an unusual telephone call, a meeting at the Chelsea Hotel goes badly. The party find a gruesome site in a bedroom, and discover an ‘orgy of evidence’ (mention of which to the police is discreetly avoided).

The party first hear of the Cult of the Bloody Tongue, and the Penhew Foundation in London. Further investigations and a visit to Emerson Imports lead our heroes to the Ju-Ju House, a Voodoo shop in Harlem...

We also learn of a tragic golfing accident, the discovery of the photographization process, and an unusual method of pregnancy diagnosis...

A solid 50+ hours of audio.

For more information on this particular recording, see the "Masks and Tape" article in the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion.

Secret Shoggoth XII

#38 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

:shock:

Currently recording Beyond the Mountains of Madness 2e with Trail of Cthulhu.
http://mountainsofmadness.org

#39 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,290 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

The lastest Chaosium newsletter (Ab Chaos #54) has some more information on the new edition of Masks...

What's more, a brand new chapter is introduced. Set in Peru, this new scenario provides an exciting introductory prologue to the campaign, where the investigators get to meet Jackson Elias, the industrious and charming author, whose researches lead into the globe-spanning plot. Each chapter has been tirelessly crossed referenced, to help those running the campaign to keep track of the many locations, characters, player handouts, and items thrown up by the players' investigation. With new appendices collecting spells, tomes, and artefacts, running the campaign is [the] easiest it's ever been.

Chaosium also state the PDF version will be out this year (2017).

Secret Shoggoth XII

#40 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

I note in the "Licensee Highlight" section, where they discuss Delphes' "Props of Nyarlathotep" Kickstarter, they note that her props are "fully compatible" with the revised edition.  She had already stated in the comments section that she had been coordinating with Chaosium with that goal in mind.  It's good to know that the props from her Kickstarters won't be obsolete before you even get a chance to use them!  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Publisher, Pulp, Jazz Age, Press Release, CoC 7e