57 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,296 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

Chaosium at NecronomiCon 2017 have announced that a new edition of Masks of Nyarlathotep is in the works with a planned 2018 release. The new version of the venerable campaign will be compatible with both Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu 7th edition and Pulp Cthulhu rules sets.

It's reported on Twitter, so it must be true...

chaosium-necronomicon-2017-panel.jpg

Source: AdamAlexander

#2 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

It's true. I realize I'm confirming my own tweet, but it was announced during a panel this AM. Authors are Paul Fricker, Lynne Hardy, Scott Dorward and Mike Mason. Seems a mix of update and rewrite and includes a prologue chapter set in Peru where the investigators meet JE.

Edit: Corrected to add Mike Mason to the list of authors.

Edited by AdamAlexander, 20 August 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#3 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,296 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

Confirmed then. :-)

#4 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

ERMERGERD!

Currently recording Beyond the Mountains of Madness 2e with Trail of Cthulhu.
http://mountainsofmadness.org

#5 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

During the Q&A I asked about the Companion and props Kickstarter projects such as Delphes'. Mike said that the rewrite addresses the need for the companion, but that it will still be helpful because it had a lot of good information. The props Kickstarter by Delphes accounts for any changes in the new version, but he didn't give details.

#6 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:52 AM

What else did they talk about at the panel? Any other details on new releases?

#7 V0rtex

V0rtex

Neophyte

• Old Patron
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

Well that is certainly good timing for Delphes Desvoivre's current kickstarter for Props of Nyarlathotep.

Her work is wonderful.

#8 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

What else did they talk about at the panel? Any other details on new releases?

Upcoming releases mentioned are

A Cold Fire Within (pulp)
Curse of Seven
Children of Fear
Lost Legends (pulp)

Mike also mentioned a setting that I think he said is titled Shadows over Stillwater, but I'm not positive about the location name.

The first four are campaign books. They also plan to work on the Lovecraft Country books.

#9 crazy_cat

crazy_cat

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

Was there any mention of anything to do with a new/revised version of Cthulhu Dark Ages?

Last mention I'm aware of was MikeM earlier this year 'Re. Dark Ages - when I can tell you something I will'

"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not wish to die"

#10 TheHistorian

TheHistorian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

I suppose they want to have a 7E version available, but given how many times it has been reprinted already (7-9, depending how you want to count), it doesn't feel like the highest priority. How about BtMoM or something else that people have trouble getting a hold of?

#11 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:31 PM

Was there any mention of anything to do with a new/revised version of Cthulhu Dark Ages?

Last mention I'm aware of was MikeM earlier this year 'Re. Dark Ages - when I can tell you something I will'

There was no mention of Cthulhu Dark Ages in the sessions I attended.

#12 Friedland

Friedland

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

I may as well just set up a monthly direct debit with Chaosium!!! :D

#13 gabrielconnor

gabrielconnor

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

Can I just say that I LOVE this new direction that Chaosium is headed? Please, please, please make an epic version of this new MoN!!!

I was planning of starting my group on MoN next month after a lengthy intro campaign, this is my only complaint! :P

Please, can we have like a deluxe edition with props and handouts? That would be amazing!

#14 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:15 PM

You can find some great props here: https://www.kickstar...a?ref=user_menu

#15 Mankcam

Mankcam

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:34 PM

This is great news !!!

Yes it's totally not necessary, but there are a few 'Grand Campaigns' that are always raved about. These campaigns are what brings the punters, even if they aren't particularly after the pure Lovecraftian experience. Masks of Nylathotep is pretty much on the top of the list, followed by Beyond The Mountains of Madness and Horror On The Orient Express. All of these campaigns made current in CoC 7E format makes sense, especially if there is advice on how to spice up the action flow for Pulp Cthulhu rules, considering they are all in the more pulpy spectrum of CoC gaming.

I don't need another edition of MoN, but I'll probably be one of the first to order it to see it done with a mix of old and new artwork, especially some colourful pieces and in a thick hardcover. Sounds great to me!

Edited by Mankcam, 21 August 2017 - 12:17 AM.

#16 joe adams

joe adams

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:40 AM

I can't find the thread right off, but I seem to recall that MikeM had mentioned redoing Shadows of Yog Sothoth. Was this part of the conversation?

#17 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:20 AM

I'd asked that question a long time ago -- back under the "old" Chaosium days, so it must have been several years ago that the thread you mention was done.  But at that time, Chaosium said that Shadows of Yog Sothoth was definitely on the list for a major update, so maybe there's hope they'll move it up in the queue in the next year or two.  Mind you, "new" Chaosium isn't really obligated to do anything that "old" Chaosium said, but the new group seems a lot more gamer and game oriented than the old crowd, so we can keep our fingers crossed. 

And also lobby them.  Inundate them with messages asking them to do a vastly improved version of SoYS.  Attach cute kitten gifs.  Say "pretty please."  Anything we can think of...

#18 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

I can't find the thread right off, but I seem to recall that MikeM had mentioned redoing Shadows of Yog Sothoth. Was this part of the conversation?

Not that I recall.

#19 skaye

skaye

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

<dashes into phone booth, emerges as Librarian Man>

MikeM posted in early July that down the line it would be getting a revamp, as part of the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion Kickstarter now live! thread:

http://www.yog-sotho...-35#entry330450

Steve

#20 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

I’ve also previously heard it said that BtMoM would be next, which makes sense since it’s already written, but I was then later told that there were no immediate plans for it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Publisher, Pulp, Jazz Age, Press Release, CoC 7e