7 replies to this topic

#1 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

I'm down in DC. Are you going to Congress of Gamers?

Sorry JS113, I didn't see your question until now. 

I'm about an hour away from DC, but I didn't know about the Congress of Gamers. 

I'll miss it this year (I will be in Kentucky for the Solar Eclipse this year), but I'll try to remember it next year now that you've mentioned it!

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#2 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

Sorry to derail a bit, but what is Congress of Gamers? I just moved to Alexandria, VA.

#3 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

Congress of Gamers

Looks like a small, cozy little gaming convention for DC, MD, and VA that meets a few times a year; the focus seems to be on board games, but they do apparentlyy run several Call of Cthulhu and D&D games during each meeting. 

It sounds like fun - I've never actually been to any sort of gaming or comic or fan convention before; it's something I've been thinking about trying out eventually, and this seems like a good opportunity for me to shake off the social anxiety for a couple days and try one out.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#4 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Congress of Gamers
Looks like a small, cozy little gaming convention for DC, MD, and VA that meets a few times a year; the focus seems to be on board games, but they do apparentlyy run several Call of Cthulhu and D&D games during each meeting.

It sounds like fun - I've never actually been to any sort of gaming or comic or fan convention before; it's something I've been thinking about trying out eventually, and this seems like a good opportunity for me to shake off the social anxiety for a couple days and try one out.

Thanks! I found the site after I posted. It looks like they have an event scheduled for August 25 that's right up the road from me.

#5 JS113

JS113

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:22 AM

Yup I've never been either, but I met one of the Rogue Cthulhu crew at Origins who is from Maryland too and she was going to run some CoC at Congress of Gamers when they have their Rockville, Maryland sessions. (Looks like she's running 5 scenarios again, she ran nonstop at Origins too!)

I'm hoping to stop by the August 25 at least! See what's hiding in that auction. I'm not sure if there's going to be any CoC at this one though.

If it's fun I'll try to make the Rockville ones, I'm curious about her Civil War scenarios (as she lives quite close to a lot of the battlefields).

-jared

Edited by JS113, 17 August 2017 - 03:22 AM.

#6 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the info about the plans for Rockville. I looked at the agenda for the August and didn't see any CoC listed, but I think I'll go either Saturday or Sunday to check it out.

Sadly, I never made it to Origins due to a variety of conflicts even though it was a local event for me.

Edited by AdamAlexander, 17 August 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#7 JS113

JS113

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:50 AM

Went by this morning, it is VERY board game focused. They are only running 1 D&D event each on Saturday and Sunday. Nice little store of used and new games for sale, but again almost everything was board games, NO RPGs at all, though they did have several Cthulhuian board games. Nice game library you could just pick up a game from and play at an open table. This apparently is their first one in the Northern Virginia area, as opposed to the usual spots in Maryland.

I think it's just what people make it, so if anyone wants to submit to run events I think they'd be happy to have you, just not sure how much interest there is in RPGs as I wasn't there when the D&D was running. But yes, the Rockville ones will have CoC!

#8 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:07 AM

I'm planning to go to the one in Rockville and may volunteer to run something.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Convention