10 replies to this topic

#1 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

Far from the Sure—a review of The Star on the Shore, the Lovecraftian investigative sandbox set in Lovecraft Country published by Dark Cult Games for use with Call of Cthulhu, Seventh Edition.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#2 MrHandy

MrHandy

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

I'm one of the playtesters of The Star on the Shore, and I also backed it on Kickstarter. The playtest was run over a lengthy period of time on Play@Yog-Sothoth, and anyone interested can read it here: http://www.callofcth...forum.php?f=308

The scenario was coherent when I played it, as the author of the scenario was the one running it, and he had everything straight in his head. Also, since it was a play-by-post, the Keeper has the advantage of having plenty of time to come up with a response. It was also a lot of fun. I haven't actually had time to read the scenario yet, just glanced through it, so I can't comment on what you covered in the review. However, in the author's defense, the Kickstarter did deliver, and it did so nearly on time, which is rare among Cthulhu Kickstarter projects.

Zombie Apocalypse: A Blood Brothers style play-by-post forum-based RPG using CoC rules
Space Oddity: Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes/Call of Cthulhu in 1969 Philadelphia
The Terror Out of Time: Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu in 1930 London

#3 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:10 PM

I'm actually a little sad this wasn't mentioned anywhere in the book. :( It would have been nice to know that YSDC helped contribute to this even a little bit.

#4 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:36 PM

I backed this. I agree with the sentiments expressed in the review. If I were to run it for my players, it would require a considerable amount of work to make it function at or above the level of my personal standards of narrative cohesion, unfortunately; as published, a Keeper will not be able to run it out of the box to any satisfactory result, in my estimation.

Edited by Shrike, 30 July 2017 - 11:38 PM.

#5 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

Where can I find Pookie's review of The Star on the Shore?  I critiqued it some in the Kickstarter comments, and then, much more extensively in a private e-mail to the creator, but I'd love to read someone else's opinion on the product as well.

#6 numtini

numtini

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCape Schrod, Massachusetts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

I've read the review, but I'm missing the kickstarter connection. I think the only "add on" was the secondary scenario. Certainly, there wasn't anything like dice, tee shirts, or fezzes. It seems to have been a perfectly disciplined kickstarter that delivered a product as described on time. (Quality of product is another issue and I honestly haven't had a chance to read my copy yet.)

Edited by numtini, 23 August 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#7 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:32 PM

Where can I find Pookie's review of The Star on the Shore?

http://rlyehreviews....-from-sure.html

Edited by yockenthwaite, 23 August 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#8 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

Thanks!

I have to say that Pookie was pretty much spot on with his review. There is huge potential with this kind of concept for Call of Cthulhu, but alas, it wasn't very well executed here. On a positive note, the authors did release a supplement to the scenario today that at least revised the stunning anachronism in the newspaper page.

On the other hand, their expansion of The Haunting (called Dark Haunting) is very well written, though, in my opinion VERY deadly -- which again may reflect a lack of proper development and playtesting. Especially given that The Haunting was supposed to be an introductory scenario which the investigators were likely to survive! Having said that, Dark Haunting really opens up the possibilities of The Haunting, giving the Keeper some excellent opportunities to lead the players into a number of possible alternative campaigns -- Star on the Shore, certainly, but also Shadows of Yog Sothoth, and even Brotherhood of the Beast, if used properly. It can also, of course, allow the Keeper to plunge deeply into Lovecraft Country. In short, though it sounds kind of harsh to say it this way, of all the parts of the Kickstarter I received, I think Dark Haunting is the one that made it all worthwhile for me. And it was just an optional add-on!

#9 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:33 AM

Regarding Star on the Shore.

I was rather disappointed. The adventure seemed static, disorganised, typo-ridden, and uninteresting. The NPC names were sometimes amusingly inappropriate... The art is pretty much the only thing I admired about it. It reminded me of some of the more forgettable third party stuff from the mid-80s-early 90s, but even those tended to be at least a little bit usable.

#10 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:27 AM

Ah, but what Call of Cthulhu collection would be complete without Theater of the Mind Enterprises' modules?  :-D

(Edited to add:  I just realized we've seriously hijacked this thread.  And it's at least 50% my fault.  Sorry everyone.)

Edited by jlynn, 24 August 2017 - 04:39 AM.

#11 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,405 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

I've split and merged posts into the more relevant thread.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 7e, Jazz Age, Review